Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Weatherproof USB Power Ports

Lots of discussion about USB powerports in the Gear>Equipement forum here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...488530&page=11

We thought it was time to let all you inmates know about 3BR Powersports stuff including both 12V and USB power ports. The TAPP Lite USB port has all the extras that the others lack - strain relief at the cable exit, fully jacketed cable, easy peel and stick universal mounting bracket, fuse holder with fuse and battery ring terminals. All this adds less than the cost of a tank of gas over the "strippers".

Here's a TAPP Lite installed on a Ducati Monster (not exactly an ADV Bike but it mounts the same).

Stop by www.3brpowersports.com and have a look at the goodies.

It's a little early for this but power ports make great Christmas gifts. Low cost, easy to wrap and super useful. Keep us in mind.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Looks good for us techno nuts :)

How much are they? (can you ship them to Europe?)
Rabbitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

TAPP Lite

US$32.95

We are too new to have shipped to Europe but we checked out shipping software and it's all automated so it shouldn't be a problem. The shipping weight is very low so they go US Postal Service for $3 in the states. Shouldn't be too much more to the other side of the pond.

RABBITSON - Are you up for being the test case? If so we will offer a 10% discount on a TAPP Lite and pay shipping for this test. This is a bit of a gamble for us since we don't know what the shipping cost will be but it will be worth it to get the experience.

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP.htm

Shov3BR screwed with this post 11-06-2010 at 02:35 PM
Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
matics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Any plans to make one that can charge an iPad? You'll need to output 2.1A.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Weatherproof USB Powerport

Yes. Our original TAPP was a 1.5A port. Unfortunately just as we were going to market the low cost USB power ports became available. Since TAPP is made in USA we couldn't compete on price so we pulled it back.
We are in the process of redesigning the circuit to provide the 2.1A that the Made For iPAD (MFi) spec calls for. We are hoping to have it released by January. Pricing should be less than $40. Will this work for you?
BTW this site http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049?viewlocale=en_US indicates that 1.1A should be sufficient to charge iPAD since that is all that the high power Apple products can put out. We have a few 1.5A TAPPs from the production pilot run. They should work if you want to try one. Let me know and we can work out some Beta test pricing.

Here are some pics. Notice it is weatherproof as are all of our products.

TAPP includes mtg bracket, cable & fuse holder with fuse. The mtg bracket is simple peel & stick 3M VHB and will fit any surface from round to flat and everything in between.

TAPP mounted on my HD Road King. TAPP Pivots around its center for best cable angle.
TAPP powering my Motorla Droid (1.1A). Note that I have pivoted TAPP to point the cable forward for this pic.

Shov3BR screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 09:05 AM
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
What about water issues when the plug is in use? Any risk of short/failure when I'm charging my ipod or running my GPS and it's raining?

Or more likely, when I'm dumping it in deep water?
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Haven't had a chance to investigate yet...but should get to it this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
The other thing to keep in mind, RamMan's bike (DR650), like mine (KTM640A) is a dirtbike, that has been adapted to be street worthy. The 12-18AH stated is standard on large street/tour bikes. Both of our bikes run the same battery, Yuasa YTX-9BS, with an advertised 8AH! Another commonality is the 200Watt charge sys, which puts out much less than that at under 5k revs.

I had significant changes result from installing a Gel cell battery in mine and a few months ago upgraded to a best gel cell that Batteries Plus sells.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Low is right...I ran some tests this morning and pulled the battery to check the amp hour rating. The TAPP lite pulls 10 mA when not connected to anything...though that's as low as my meter will read so it could have rounded up from 8mA. The Garmin nuvi 250W connected pulls 170-190mA turned on and 70-90mA turned off.

The battery is rated at 8amp-hour/10hour. I don't know what the last part means but I'll assume its just an 8amp-hour battery which gives me about 100 hours before it drains the battery with the garmin connected or 1000 hours with just the TAPP lit. These numbers also assume a fresh battery. Even with a battery double the size you would have 200 hours before my Garmin would drain the battery. Less time than that with some of the other GPSs that were tested.

None of this is a deal breaker. I'm going to put the TAPP on a relay. Shov you guys may want to consider a relay kit option for people that want plug and play.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the PC-8 from eastern beaver and the AP-1 from centech. Painless wiring has a fuse block like the FZ-1 that has a built in relay.