User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Rhino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2011 Ninja 1000 (ZX1000G) Insurance

Have any of you interested in getting a Ninja 1000 checked on what insurance is going to cost for this bike?

My current carrier, Progressive, classifies it as an ultra high performance bike and wants $770.00 per year for full coverage, $1000.00 deductable. I'm 63, no tickets, wrecks, rider course every other year, credit score 800+. My 2010 Concours 14 runs under $300.00 and a Z1000 runs $350.00 for the same coverages.

What are you guys encountering?

UPDATE: - I am impressed with Kawasaki customer followup!!!!!!
I got a call from Kawasaki corporate today in response to an email I sent them Monday on this same topic. My phone number was not in the eamil, so someone had to do some research. The call was not from a part-time customer service rep that had never ridden a motorcycle, but from a 26 year veteran of Kawasaki and an avid motorcyclist! We had a great conversation about a number of things. He explained that Kawasaki has a very orderly and consistant model designation system - the ZX is basicly an inline 4 with a full fairing, and the Z1000 (ZR1000D) represents an inline 4 without a fairing. Many insurance companies don't go much beyond the model designator when setting their rates. So the key is to do some serious shopping around!

Kawasaki is doing a lot of things right! I for one am impressed with their product, pricing and customer service. Others could learn from them!

Rhino screwed with this post 11-17-2010 at 09:02 AM
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Is there any chance the insurance agent gave you a quote for a ZX-10R rather than the new Ninja 1000? I believe Kawasaki always designates the supersport bikes as "ZX" and the standards like the Z1000 as "ZR".

I wonder if the Ninja 1000 is even in insurance company databases yet because it was only announced about six weeks ago and is not in dealer showrooms yet.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Rhino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I checked with the dealer on the ZX1000G designation for the Ninja 1000 and it is correct. I did check with the agent and later Progressive direct to make sure they were not giving me a ZX10 R quote. The person at Progressive indicated that if Kawasaki gave this bike a "ZX" designation, then it is an ultra high performance bike!

Kawasaki has killed this bike by giving it the Ninja name and the ZX designation!

The Z1000 has a ZR 1000 model designation.

I have emailed Kawasaki on this issue but don't expect a response.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Try different companies. I've noticed Progressive really doesn't care for anything they think is labeled as a Supersport. Check Dairyland.

I do like Progressive for my cars, though. Every other carrier wanted a fortune for my Durango.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
State Farm is pretty much just displacement only
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
State Farm is pretty much just displacement only
Maybe in the US, but not in Canada.

I was briefly interested in the Ducati Multistrada 1200 until I called them for an insurance quote: $2500 Ok, so how about a BMW 1200GS, $1000. Both bikes are in the same category... oh, but Ducati's are considered supersport
Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Maybe in the US, but not in Canada.

I was briefly interested in the Ducati Multistrada 1200 until I called them for an insurance quote: $2500 Ok, so how about a BMW 1200GS, $1000. Both bikes are in the same category... oh, but Ducati's are considered supersport
This just shows that sometimes you not only have to shop different company's, but agents with the same company..
Its all how they are classed for sure.
That and Canada State Farm sucks
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
I checked with the dealer on the ZX1000G designation for the Ninja 1000 and it is correct. I did check with the agent and later Progressive direct to make sure they were not giving me a ZX10 R quote. The person at Progressive indicated that if Kawasaki gave this bike a "ZX" designation, then it is an ultra high performance bike!

Kawasaki has killed this bike by giving it the Ninja name and the ZX designation!

Bummer. I wonder how they designate the supersports these days since the ZX10 was a ZX1000 and ZX6 was a ZX600 as late as 2005. Let us know what Kawasaki says.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino

I would have never guessed that.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
kz1000ken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Another perspective. This is not a BMW or a Triumph, it is a go fast Kawasaki.
It is a Ninja for people who have ridden Ninja's all their life, and now want comfort too.
It's not a touring bike, a real sport touring bike, or a standard.

It has the curb appeal of a "real sportbike". Not an expensive, exotic "yuppie" bike. You ride this thing
like it was stolen, and you park it at "The Spot" and it says Ninja on the side of it.

If you want a sleeper, a sport tourer, a sporty tourer, go buy one. But they scream "Im not a real sportbike" with the
giant exhausts, oversized seats, tall suspension, huge bags that when removed look odd.

This bike fixes the "It doesnt look like a real sportbike, and sport riders don't want a RT / Connie / ST " when they park it at the beach next to the other "squids"

Kawi did right by this bike for what it is. Its a Kawasaki Ninja, A real honest to jed Kawasaki Ninja with all the cred that goes with it.. not an old man's Honda ST1300.

zoom zoom
kz1000ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Try Geico, I get a great rate on my Street Triple through them. I've also heard it's a good idea to switch companies every 5 years or so to keep the rate low.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
My quote through Progressive was $1100.00/year......

A new 2010 Concours 14 w/ABS was around $300.00/year. I guess they must figure that only old geezers ride a Concours!

Got to ride a 2011 Ninja 1000 at AZ Bike Week; very nice ride indeed.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Have any of you interested in getting a Ninja 1000 checked on what insurance is going to cost for this bike?

My current carrier, Progressive, classifies it as an ultra high performance bike and wants $770.00 per year for full coverage, $1000.00 deductable. I'm 63, no tickets, wrecks, rider course every other year, credit score 800+. My 2010 Concours 14 runs under $300.00 and a Z1000 runs $350.00 for the same coverages.

What are you guys encountering?

UPDATE: - I am impressed with Kawasaki customer followup!!!!!!
I got a call from Kawasaki corporate today in response to an email I sent them Monday on this same topic. My phone number was not in the eamil, so someone had to do some research. The call was not from a part-time customer service rep that had never ridden a motorcycle, but from a 26 year veteran of Kawasaki and an avid motorcyclist! We had a great conversation about a number of things. He explained that Kawasaki has a very orderly and consistant model designation system - the ZX is basicly an inline 4 with a full fairing, and the Z1000 (ZR1000D) represents an inline 4 without a fairing. Many insurance companies don't go much beyond the model designator when setting their rates. So the key is to do some serious shopping around!

Kawasaki is doing a lot of things right! I for one am impressed with their product, pricing and customer service. Others could learn from them!
get a beat up r80 and pay 140 dollars a year on liability only
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I checked about 5 different companies and the prices were from around $800 per year to over $2000. That includes Progressive, Dairyland etc.

State Farm was $309 but I had to move one of my cars to them which cost me another $150 or so vs. my previous company. Adding that on, $459 total for $500 deductible is still just a little more than 1/2 of the next lowest quote.

One of the reasons these bikes are expensive to insure right now is because they're new and have no history. So the ZX xxxx serial number sequence gets used to throw the bike in with the ZX10R's and other ZX's.

Maybe if us old guys that are buying them don't crash them or have then stolen, we'll see the rates drop in a few years. I wouldn't count on it though...
Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
get a beat up r80 and pay 140 dollars a year on liability only
I could tell you you're way off subject, but I guess there's always one in the crowd.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote