User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,527
SMALL bike camping thread

i am starting another thread in regards to cooking off of a small motorcycle when camping.

i am NOT talking about trucking your bike to an event, unloading all your shit, setting up a tailgate party and cooking as if you were "car camping".

i would like to see your set up for camping off the bike and what your bring, what you eat, how you cook, what equipment works, what equipment doesn't work, the preparation, etc etc etc.

i ride a KTM 525 EXC and i am NOT bringing a WOK or an IRON SKILLET like a saw in another thread.

if you ride a big bike, i would like to know what you bring as well, but the main purpose of THIS thread is to hear about your gear and LESS IS MORE type of camping.

i would love to hear about FF's that have ridden around the world, ridden down to the tip of South America, ridden Baja, etc.

so i guess this could be a SMALL BIKE camping thread.(aka THUMPER)

what food do you bring?

what cooking equipment do you use?

what gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad) do you use?

how do you load it onto your bike?

what bike do you have?

any modifications to your bike (reinforced sub-frame, luggage rack, large tank, etc)?

with all of the above questions, how do you pack it tightly and securely for bumpy off-road riding (oh yeah, i aint talkin about riding down some straight paved road to the next camp spot, i'm riding OFF-ROAD)

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !

here's a similar thread...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566863

RAZR screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 04:50 PM
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

REFERENCES :

tent pole link

Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Department of Goods

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Big_...alynxpass2.htm $148 tent
www.jetboil.com
http://www.lifeinthewild.com/outdoor...e-tent-review/ Field report on a bomb 2-place tent from Eureka
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Motorcycle Helen Twowheels stuff
www.campmor.com
www.moosejaw.com
www.sierratradingpost.com
www.sunnysports.com
www.steepandcheap.com

http://www.rei.com/product/791308
http://www.rei.com/product/731378
http://www.rei.com/product/778153
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Os...g-Bag/13848665

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27

RAZR screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 10:27 AM
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,260
You should check out the minimalist touring thread. It's about actual small bikes (250cc and down). http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349

My DRZ400 is my "big" bike and I've done 15 day camp-only rides on it and not spared the luxuries. It helps that two of us travel together on separate bikes so we can split up who carries what. It also helps that I weigh a lot less than the average ADV bear so no need to reinforce the frame. I can't even imagine that. I could carry everything I would need solo on the Dizz, but I like my travelling companion.

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Out of ALL those responses to the thread you don't like, you can't figure out some minimalist ways to take/prepare/cook/etc the food or prep tools used? Not everyone who replied to that thread rides a GS or a Wing I am sure.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
quick answer

I'm setting up my KTM 690 for a 5 month unsupported trip. My camping gear consists of this.

* MontBell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #1
* Thermarest Neoair pad
* GSI pinnicle Backpacker cookset
* MSR Whisperlite stove
* Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 Tent

I'm using Wolfman Dry Expedition saddle bags.

Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
RAZR
Thanks for starting this thread

Subscribed
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
RLK

Oddometer: 6,261

That's about it. Hit a market before sunset to buy a little something dehydrated, instant brown rice, ramen noodles maybe a little 50 cent bag of frozen veggies but get to camp before they thaw too much. Use them to keep your beverages cold.

If you want to learn to catch and clean squirrel meat, I know a guy... Its ok to eat fish, cause they don't have any feelings. My tackle box fits in my wallet. Hooks, thread, float, bait. Weighs about a half an ounce. Garlic salt and pepper to taste.

You can run down to your favorite big box retailer and buy a $200 whiz-bang stove or you can go to the Army-Navy surplus store and get something smaller, lighter and fully bomb-proof for about $3 (three) My stove can also be used as an entrenchment tool should I feel the need to dig a hole to hide in.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 10:14 PM
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
QDogg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post

You can run down to your favorite big box retailer and buy a $200 whiz-bang stove or you can go to the Army-Navy surplus store and get something smaller, lighter and fully bomb-proof for about $3 (three) My stove can also be used as an entrenchment tool should I feel the need to dig a hole to hide in.
+1 for hexamine stove! No leaks, reliable, light.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
+1 for hexamine stove! No leaks, reliable, light.
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

I prefer universal fuel -read petrol - powered units, as you do not need to lug a a separate supply of fuel on multi day trips. I understand this may not be a significant issue for most people though.
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Can you recommend a (very) compact petrol stove for me? All the ones I've seen seem to require you hook up a litre water-bottle style fuel cannister of petrol to them. Anything smaller than those that deal with smaller volumes? All I want is to be able to boil water quickly on it, it to pack small and it to be reasonably durable.

MSR does make a smaller bottle.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:

but the MSR bottles use the same fuel that your bike does, so why would you want to get a smaller bottle???

a lot of ppl put these bottles on the opposite side from the exhaust in the same location using some type of strap (exhaust strap) and connect it to your subframe.

you might need it for your bike.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Coleman makes quite a few.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
RLK

Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
but uses special fuel.

The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The fuel fits inside the folded stove and is included in the $3 purchase price. A quarter cube will boil 2 cups of water and there's 12 cubes inside. Buy a couple more 12packs of fuel for another $2 each if you are going out for a month without a chance to visit an Army surplus store. Id call that pretty damn cost effective hot water.
how long does it take to boil water with this? or cook a can of chili? seems like a great way to go for cooking simple things
stiggs13 is online now   Reply With Quote