Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Dl650 Hack

Lets see if I can get it together.

Oooo looks like I got a picture up. Now to take on the world!!!
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
gordonscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thumb nice outfit

Hey you put the sidecar on the wrong side
gordonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonscott View Post
Hey you put the sidecar on the wrong side
Nice outfitto be. If you look close you can see a stack of pavers holding the chair up on mine. Had 3 days of my Chrissie break so far and hobbling around with a crook back. Soo frustrating. But I see yours has the 19" wheel on the chair to match the front with a disc brake. I managed to get a matching wheel recently.
Yours a 650?
Oh and how do the leading legs work out? I am on a budget at the mo so have to work with what I have till further notice. So fab my own subframe an stuff. I have a fair bit of the gear to do so just need to sort the shed to be able to move. Tha sub frame looks to involve a lot of head scratching. No left side ones for sale here.

Cheers, Bruce
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
03gixxerpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
going to look nice, keep us uptodate with the progress of the build
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gixxerpilot View Post
going to look nice, keep us uptodate with the progress of the build
Progress so far. 3 days with a strained back hobbling around Aarrghh! Oh well it has coensided with 3 40ish deg days so hopefully the weather will cool and the back will cooperate as well. .
Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Progress so far. 3 days with a strained back hobbling around Aarrghh! Oh well it has coensided with 3 40ish deg days so hopefully the weather will cool and the back will cooperate as well. .
I feel you pain Bruce I am 5 weeks on from a strained back .
Still giving me a hard time

Looking forward to your dl650 build .
I have some links of dl650 hacks . I will pm them to you.

I hope the strained back was not from the ride on the honda sidecar, you did for us ??
Cheers Ian.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
gordonscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Nice outfitto be. If you look close you can see a stack of pavers holding the chair up on mine. Had 3 days of my Chrissie break so far and hobbling around with a crook back. Soo frustrating. But I see yours has the 19" wheel on the chair to match the front with a disc brake. I managed to get a matching wheel recently.
Yours a 650?
Oh and how do the leading legs work out? I am on a budget at the mo so have to work with what I have till further notice. So fab my own subframe an stuff. I have a fair bit of the gear to do so just need to sort the shed to be able to move. Tha sub frame looks to involve a lot of head scratching. No left side ones for sale here.

Cheers, Bruce
Hi Bruce, Mines the DL1000. The leading legs help out a lot, takes much less effort to turn but still has the slow speed wobbles. Claude on here has posted pictures of his subframe for the vstrom and if you could afford it he would be the man to build it for you! I see you are on a budget so if money does not permit maybe you could look at his and just reverse design it for the other side? Claude if you read this maybe a big market for the lefty's accross the pond since none for sale over there? The strom has become popular enough to hack to warrant this some thought p.s. speedy recovery with your back my friend.
gordonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Dl 650 Hack Progress

Had a look yesterday at the bike and chair together to see what could be mounted to which with some chance of success. Some bits look easier than others. Will try and upload this week as I go.

This is Helen making the whole Idea look good.

The SV 650 exhaust collector and Staintune muffler setup seem to stop the centrestand from being refitted. If I want it, I may have to go back to the stock exhaust with ugly cat converter . Note the Ikea spanner as a hanger bracket .

Got on Ebay a matching front (19") wheel for the chair. Here are the new bearings to fit the 20mm axle on the chair
Just need a big hammer.

brstar screwed with this post 12-29-2010 at 04:07 AM
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Dont want to state the obvious, but have you had a look at Touring Daves subframe on his Strom buildup?? I am(hope) sure he wont mind you pinching ideas Us Aussies are like that (sorry Dave)
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonscott View Post
Hi Bruce, Mines the DL1000. The leading legs help out a lot, takes much less effort to turn but still has the slow speed wobbles. Claude on here has posted pictures of his subframe for the vstrom and if you could afford it he would be the man to build it for you! I see you are on a budget so if money does not permit maybe you could look at his and just reverse design it for the other side? Claude if you read this maybe a big market for the lefty's accross the pond since none for sale over there? The strom has become popular enough to hack to warrant this some thought p.s. speedy recovery with your back my friend.
Hi and thanks for the back thoughts from you and Ian. Claudes frame would be good I am sure, though the 650 would perhaps be different to the 1000.
And steering mods to when it happens. It will.
I weld and fabricate for a living so could not help myself, (had to do it)
Also I am making it fit the chairs I have so easier to do it here.
(thanks Johno )
Also the left side is also the right side so how could I be wrong.

Cheers Bruce
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Any more on this one Bruce?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
brstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Progress? A little

Some progress made so far, probably more in getting my head around which way to do it than anything.
The back is getting servicable now just in time to go back to work .
Its still hot under the tin roof and the neighbours are way to close to work early or late.
So steady steady.
And I am getting the workshop sorted a little each time I go out there but it would be good to put some doors on it soon.

Older bikes often had mounting points for sidecars built in. The ball would have been welded to the lower frame rails front and rear with eyelets for the top links. The clamping pieces here get pulled into the chair frame to tighten. The plan is to drill and tap a thread so as to bolt the balls with high tensile bolts.

This is top front mount. Will just weld it to the crash bar mounts I think. It will be plenty strong with a lot of area to weld to. May disconnect the battery to tack it together then remove to fully weld and re powdercoat.

Had an SV collector and a Staintune muffler fitted I bought on eBay but it meant the Centre stand would not fit. So changed back to the stock system .

Problem! The steel balls I got were for use in wrought iron work. They must be reject ball bearing material. To hard to mark with a centre punch or drill. Anyone know where I can get some mild steel ones? A dozen would be good. I will take them to work and try heating them in the forge to anneal them. Only need 2 per chair but there are 4 more chairs in my shed to go to good homes .

Cheers Bruce
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,445
Haven't decided between a DL650 and a DL1000 for a tug yet; but would love to make my own subframe, so I'm in!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
I'm getting ready to build my own subframe for my DL1000,Touring Dave has some good pics to use as a ref.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,595
Sitting here. Watching. Waiting.

Lots of pics, please. And lots of words, too. That is, between work, family and sidecar building.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote