User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Laugh Another noob goes racing

I moved out here a few years back, bought a dual sport last May and recently learned about all the desert racing here in SoCal. I'm a little guy on a big bike so I suspect I'll have some interesting experiences. If I turn into a racing junkie like some people seem to do I'll likely buy a more race oriented bike - if the other half gets something she wants too.

I'm heading up to Teagle Wash for Jackrabbits Hare and Hound this weekend. All I'm hoping for is no injuries to bike or body and a finish. If I'm better than last place that's icing on the cake.

I'm hoping I'll turn in some top 10 finishes this year - how many 40+ beginners can there be?

Any advice?

[Running Edit]
Tips
Download and fill out the competition form ahead of time and bring it to the race. Most of the info should be the same - just the name of the race should change.

2011 Races
Jan 9 - Jackrabbits H&H - finished - placed 5th out of 8
Jan 23 - Desert National H&H - finished - placed 2nd out of 6 (3 DNFs)
Feb 13 - 4 Aces National H&H - finished - placed 4th out of 6 (1 DNF)
Feb 27 - Checkers H&H - finished (Whew!) - placed 4th out of 4 (No DNFs)

2012 Races
Jan 22 - Desert National H&H - Finished! - placed 1st out of 1 :)
Feb 26 - Checkers H&H - finished - placed 1st out of 2 - sort of. The other guy was a pie plate. (No DNFs)

My efforts at desert racing

CramerTV screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 11:56 PM Reason: Update for 2012!
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerTV View Post
I moved out here a few years back, bought a dual sport last May and recently learned about all the desert racing here in SoCal. I'm a little guy on a big bike so I suspect I'll have some interesting experiences. If I turn into a racing junkie like some people seem to do I'll likely buy a more race oriented bike - if the other half gets something she wants too.

I'm heading up to Teagle Wash for Jackrabbits Hare and Hound this weekend. All I'm hoping for is no injuries to bike or body and a finish. If I'm better than last place that's icing on the cake.

I'm hoping I'll turn in some top 10 finishes this year - how many 40+ beginners can there be?

Any advice?
"A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Number Plate

One needs a place to put your number and the headlight I put on my bike doesn't leave much room for the numbers. So...

A couple of bungee cords and a 10" drum head might work. We'll see...

CramerTV screwed with this post 01-07-2011 at 10:46 PM
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Best of Luck to you

1st MOST important thing
DO NOT GET YOURSELF HURT

2nd MOST important thing
HAVE FUN

3rd MOST important thing
FINISH

4th MOST important thing
Let us know how you did
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Best of Luck to you
Thanks!

Quote:
1st MOST important thing
DO NOT GET YOURSELF HURT
Yeah. It takes me a lot longer to heal these days. I still have a little pain in my ribs from my spill on the LAB2V.

Quote:
Let us know how you did
Will do. I was thinking about joining you all for the ride tomorrow morning (I love the ride from the 138 over to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear) and then heading up to China Lake afterward but decided I had a few more things to do in the morning. I hope to catch up with you all next time.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah. It takes me a lot longer to heal these days. I still have a little pain in my ribs from my spill on the LAB2V.

Will do. I was thinking about joining you all for the ride tomorrow morning (I love the ride from the 138 over to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear) and then heading up to China Lake afterward but decided I had a few more things to do in the morning. I hope to catch up with you all next time.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow!
(I love the ride from the 138 over to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear) ME TOO

Big Bear to China lake seems like it would be a good ride
__________________________________________________ _________
I will have to try to get in a ride with you before the Kings of the West REMIX
Congrats on making it onto the " IN " list
__________________________________________________ _
Just wait til you see what you got yourself into
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
I will have to try to get in a ride with you before the Kings of the West REMIX
Definitely! I'm looking forward to meeting all the KOTW guys and gal. It sounds like a fun loving group.

Quote:
Congrats on making it onto the " IN " list
__________________________________________________ _
Just wait til you see what you got yourself into
Thanks! I was really psyched when NMBMN gave me the good news. I'm still excited. I only learned about the first one the weekend before it went off and wanted to do it so bad but I didn't have any of the gear I needed for an extended ride. I followed TrailTrick's SPOT online - it was an awesome distraction while at work. I don't think I got much done that week. :)

Now all we have to do is wait the 4, 5 or 6 months until the next one doesn't happen. ;)

P.S. Read your father and son ride report a few months back. Nice. I can't wait to go riding with my son. It will be a few years though - he's not yet 2.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Jackrabbit's Hare and Hound - 1/9/2011

Wow. Today was the most fun I've had on two wheels since nearly hitting 100mph on a dry lake bed the first time (Oct. 2010). I accomplished two of my goals - to not get hurt and finish. I did, however have a mechanical issue. My rear fender broke off and the fenderbag with the toolbag inside got caught and locked up the rear tire. I lost about 7 minutes and my license plate.

So I'll be ordering the plastic tail section along with the euro tail-light and blinkers - and a new license plate. Hopefully I'll be back in business for next weekend.

I bought a new GoPro and was able to record the whole beginners loop so I hope to be able to post a video sometime soon.

We'll see if I can swing another weekend race out of my wife for next weekend - there's an enduro in Johnson Valley. I've never done one before so it should be interesting.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
?fixt?
Both true. I'm replacing just the side pieces because I took all the cool factory graphics off and now I don't like the color scheme. Hopefully these different colored pieces will look better to me.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Cramer, just my 02 cents...but if you like the way a four-stroke feels..then keep riding one. I have seen more than one FF think that they had to have the "ultimate woods weapon" 300 just to realize that it is just not the bike for them.

Ride one first. In fact, ask one of the guys who own and love them if you can test ride their's first and see if you like it. I know for me...it is not my thing. I too like to tractor up shit or through rock gardens that my friend's on 2 -strokes have to hammer up to keep the bike in the power band. I know, I know, put a heavier fly-wheel on the 300's and they act more like a thumper...or I can just ride a thumper. Everyone has their preference...but I've got a feeling that you really should test ride one hard before committing. I grew up on two strokes..loved them...but now as an old coot...I just love lumbering up hills...or even stopping in the middle of a huge hill climb...and still being able to start again and continue up.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 4T Vs 2T argument...I love them both..Just try it before you buy it.

I agree that your current bike will limit you...just as my DRZ400S limited me. But I was still able to finish the season without a mechanical issue, or serious injury and grab a 2nd in class trophy for the season...as a 40 beginner in XC. Have fun...get something lighter (but with an e-start) and tear it up!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
All I can say is from that video had you not had a fender problem you would have done really well, you were giving it horns and passing a lot of guys.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
All I can say is from that video had you not had a fender problem you would have done really well, you were giving it horns and passing a lot of guys.
I did get to pass a lot of people but remember in the beginning I got passed by nearly everyone - at least it seemed that way!

I did check to see if I had not lost those 35 positions where I would have ended up - I would have been 3rd in my class! 'If this' or 'if that' are not racing though - but they are 'bench racing'

CramerTV screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 12:55 PM
Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Ride one first. Everyone has their preference...but I've got a feeling that you really should test ride one hard before committing.
Thanks - that's good advice. I will try one and I'm even considering a 250 smoker instead of the 300 but also on the table is a 450 4S because the 2S's are all 'red' sticker and thus very limited in their riding areas here in California.

CramerTV screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 07:24 PM
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Thanks - that's good advice. I will try one and I'm even considering a 250 smoker instead of the 300 but also on the table is a 450 4S because the 2S's are all 'red' sticker and thus very limited in their riding areas here in California.
Get an older 250 2-s that has a green sticker. A YZ250 makes a great dez bike. They are cheaper to race and easy to maintain. I would then make sure the suspension is revalved and set up for you. I race a 450 in Baja but run a Cr250 or YZ125 here. I dont want to work that hard having fun!
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

4 Aces Hare and Hound - quick look

LONG first loop today - once again, I was wasted by the end. I started cramping up about mile 35 but was good to go after another couple of miles. Had to pee REALLY bad - wanted to stop but didn't. LOTS of whoops. Took it real easy today - only two low speed get offs. It hardly felt like racing at all since I only passed two or three folks and only quads passed me. I guess I was bringing up the rear. I think I was around the 15th or 16th beginner - no class info since there were lots of national numbers.

Will post longer write up and short vid of the interesting parts of loop 1 - and of course my two 'get offs'.

Looked for MotoMike on my way out but the Coyotes camp looked deserted about 1:00PM.

Bottom line - ran late and missed practicing the bomb run AGAIN - got a finishers pin - no injuries - one broken mirror - still hearing something that sounds loose but can't find it.

Need to replace old front tire.

Jimmy Lewis racing school next weekend.

Checkers the weekend after that - can't wait!

CramerTV screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 09:08 PM