Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
stin987 OP
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
If you knew you were going to crash today what would you wear? Include pics.

I am looking to buy a new jacket and pants for the F800GS. I want something that is more comfortable for the cold weather where multiple layers are being worn. I want something comfortable and visible with great crash protection.

What do you have or what would you buy. I have seen the $1000 plus gear but don't want to spend that much if it is not worth the price.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stin987 View Post
I am looking to buy a new jacket and pants for the F800GS. I want something that is more comfortable for the cold weather where multiple layers are being worn. I want something comfortable and visible with great crash protection.

What do you have or what would you buy. I have seen the $1000 plus gear but don't want to spend that much if it is not worth the price.
$100 helmet for a $100 head.... I may skimp on parts and weld and modify my own... but for safety gear I would never buy lower cost goods.

I personally wear this for everyday dual sport riding...

with

for cold weather I have this underneath it all...

my next purchase is gonna something with a neck brace collar like this:

but i simply can't afford the price!!!! would buy if I could though...

so I am opting for something like this... build in CE protectors and all just more within my budget!

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php...cket-pro-black

I've fallen quite a few times very very hard with the neck brace and its saved my ass! so that's what I would like to wear full time...

If you can afford it... buy the Klim full set and wear a neck brace... don't like the brace? BMW rallye pro 3. Still outta budget... chech the flea market!
Attached Images

Motorfiets screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 07:27 AM Reason: because i can....
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
You don't need to spend a million bucks to get gear that is crash worthy...

I just wear the same stuff I always wear... Firstgear mesh jacket with built in armor and some tracker airpants with armor (although the armor doesn't fit me very well...) and Alpinestar tech 3 boots (definitely awesome).

Oh yeah, don't forget your helmet and whatever gloves you feel comfortable in!!

Cracked a rib on this one, luckily my buddy was there to take a picture of me trying to get my breath. That rock ledge behind my bike is about 5 foot tall and pretty much vertical

This was more of a low speed drop but it was fun:

This one tested my crash gear a bit more:

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,501
For me the Aerostich stuff is the most practical and functional. It has pockets that can be used with your gear on, functional pit zips and is laminated with Goretex so you dont have to dork around. It is very protective in a crash and stands up well to sliding on pavement and multi surfaces!

The Darien Pants are on sale right now from Aerostich. I have owned severeal jackets, Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, BMW, Acerbis Aerostich.

Aerostich gives the best crashprotection and the best product and is made here in the U.S. People sing the blues about it looking lame, but it is function over looks.. I personally think the stuff looks nice and utilitarian.

Aerostich would be my choice to crash in.

greg
Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,501
probably see you again in the gear section soon.. Thread will be moved soon!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
stin987 OP
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
I was thinking of buying a 3 season (spring, winter, fall) jacket and using my current 4 season jacket for the summer. I sometimes feel light the boy on the christmas story when I wear all those layers. I wear a gerbings heated liner and then the jacket. It can get very tight around the neck area causing my neck to be sore.

I would like some suggestions on the best jackets for the money (cold weather adventure style) and pants. I currently have first gear overpants but they too are very bulky. What kind of pants are good for stand alone in colder weather.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
+10 on the Aerostich Darien stuff. Love it! 100% Gore-Tex Cordura 500 waterproof fabric. High tech padding. Very functional and extremely protective:

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
+1 Aerostich

The Aerostich line hasn't been updated in years, but the Roadcrafter One Piece is still great and is what I use for the daily commute and touring since I believe it is the safest gear on the market. Works great in the Pacific Northwest climate. Takes a while to break in a new suit (extremely stiff from the start), but it has been worth the investment. Also added the hip and back armor. Waterproof Gore-tex and bomb proof.

Photobucket

The Aerostich can be too hot in the summer and impractical for DS rides, so I use the vented 3/4 Revit Scirocco jacket and pants for those occasions. LOTS of airflow and upgraded the armor to SAS-TEC. Arai XD3 fits my block the best and Revit Dirt Gloves are holding up well.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
That's a loaded question!!

Currently, I own
Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece
Motoport Ultra II stretch AND mesh pants-stretch has quad armor
Belstaff Discovery
Motoport Ultra II stretch jacket with quad armor
Halvarssons safety jacket with Folio & airy outers
Racer high end gloves
Held warm n dry gloves
warm n safe heated gloves
Aerostich Combat touring boots (lite)
Arai profile helmet

Ok, top to bottom
-Arai Profile-I hate the helmet, and think it's overpriced, but my Shoei X-11 is beyond worn out

-Jacket? Toss up! Tests show the halvarssons suit as the best. Anecdotally, I'm pretty sure Motoport with quad armor is the best thing to wrap your body in. Ugly as sin, and I don't like it in the winter. The chest armor gives it the nod over the Halvarssons.

-pants Motoport air mesh, but with quad armor from my stretch. I don't like them as much as the stretch, so I never wear them, but they supposedly do better in a tumble than the stretch

Boots- CBT lite!

Gloves Racer High End
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,434

If I new I was going to crash today, I would wear my slippers and stay home....tomorrow would be a better day to ride
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"I'd wear my truck."

I'm with him!

But for real advice you can't beat Motoport. The best part is that it's fitted to YOU and if you ever wreck it they will fix it for free. When you consider the price versus the life and function, it's a good value.

$10 head, $10 helmet? If you study the Hurt report, you will find that injuries to the head are the most frequent cause of death, but 90% of those fatal head injuries would have been prevented by the cheapest DOT approved helmet. The top level helmets now available will protect your head very well, but the 18 wheels on the semi will make a real messy stain out of the rest of you.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I wear a Olympia AST jacket and Olympia Ranger pants. They are heavy Cordura (2000D on strike points) so have much better abrasion protection than cheaper nylon or polyester gear. They take me down to about 40F with a fleece underneath. I'm a really big fan of electric gear though since getting my heated gloves and jacket liner. With this I can be comfy at sustained highway speeds for several hours down to 32F. It also works better in the 55F to 40F range than insulation alone. 3/4 length jackets are better in cold weather and usually are more adjustable over layers than a tighter fitting sport jacket. The belt and ajustable expansion panels in the waist allow you cinch it up without the liners and expand it to fit over extra layers. Vents well enough to ride up to about 90F.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,354
I am sure someone else has already said this but whatever gear you will wear every time you ride is the best gear to buy.

I have had many low speed crashes off road and one on road head on with a suburban.(left turner.. I walked away without a scratch)

Every time I was thankful for the gear I was wearing.. Typically just adv type gear. Off road I wear a compression suit and love it. I am sure it has saved me many bumps and bruises.

My 2 cents is buy the best gear you can afford that you will wear every time you ride. If and when you crash you will be thankful for what ever you are wearing.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Motoport air mesh kevlar with quad armour, motoport kevlar gloves, DOT full face helmet (XD-3), SIDI boots.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Your situation has a lot of great options. Personally, I've owned suits, jacket and pants combos, and all of that. My preference, largely based on convenience and likelihood of always being protected, is a one piece textile suit. I've owned an Aerostich Roadcrafter and I just ordered a Teiz Power Shell. Both push the $1000 mark and both, for me, trump the less expensive options that I've tried in performance and quality.

Between the suit and a new helmet, I've spent $1500 on gear this week. This, in spite of having three jackets, riding pants, a leather suit, and much more. Gotta love it.