User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Thinking about an older VFR...

So back in the mid-80's I remember as a kid lusting after the Honda VFR750's when they came out. That was the coolest bike I had ever seen. The fact is, even today I still kind of feel that way. Loved the sound of those V4 motors, and in general, just always thought the mid-80's VFR was a killer bike.

I have the opportunity to pick on up right now and I need advice, talked out of it, talked into it, something. I don't know how much I would REALLY ride it, but I kind of want it. It's an 85 model 700cc version. Been parked for several years. Supposedly ran fine when parked, but I have no way to prove that. Pretty decent shape, appears to have been indoors this whole time, and the price is right.

I love my Road King, and it will still be my highway king, but I'm trying to figure out if I need a VFR too? This thing was pretty much my first 2-wheeled love as a young and impressionably youth, so it may be clouding my judgement. I think I can get this thing bought for a few hundred bucks. I know they had cam problems back then and this one could be one of those victims. I know nothing about the seller so I have to assume they're lying about it running great a few years ago.

So, worst case scenario... What say you?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Ask on the VFR forum, it is a great bunch
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?

I loved both the VFR's I've owned. I do know that the early ones had some cam problems, not sure what years.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
If you can buy it for a few hundred dollars, you should be able to get it running for about the same amount.

Then you can find out whether it is the bike for you.... A pretty cheap "trip"

Othewise you will always wonder about it.

Even if the bike isn't what you want, you can get your money back.... at the prices you are indicating.

Ride Safely,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
The 85 was a VF-F, not a VF-R bike. The VF-R line (with the exception of the VF1000R) started in 1986 and did NOT have the cam oiling issues. Then you had an 86 750 F1, and 86 700F1, I think an 86 700F2 and an 87 700F2. The F1's had round "racing" style gauges, the F2's had more "dash" like gauges... Personally (I have over 100k miles on both an 87 700 and an 86 750), I liked the 700 motor better.

Dead reliable engines for the most part, the charging system (as a whole) was the weak link. I had one rotor cook it's wires inside the cover (broken connection), several plugs roast themselves to death and went through 4 Reg/Rec units (lasted roughly 30k miles). The engines do run hot and I installed a manual fan switch to keep ahead of the curve when I know I'd be stopping for awhile in traffic. Past that, it's the normal old bike limitations, spares are hard to come by and expensive when you find them. The wheels are odd sized, forks are REALLY skinny and flex like crazy, shock will be trash at this point in life, etc... I love the bikes, hate that I sold mine (could only afford one bike and had modded mine into a street legal racer that wasn't fitting with my recently acquired live-in GF) and will buy one again sometime in the future... if I don't find an RC30 first.

I had an HRC exhaust, '94 F2 (cartridge) front end, F2 rear wheel, and put an 86 750 motor in the 87 700 chassis. Oh yeah, there was a fox shock out back and a corbin seat under my behind... I think I had some sort of rearsets on there too.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So here's how I'm leaning...

Im thinking after reading the other posts I'm going to attempt to get it bought. I think my plan includes carb overhauls and fresh fuel and see if she fires sans horrible noises and wants to charge. If we pass that hurdle, I'll start tearing it down into pieces, rebuilding shocks, forks (maybe a fork brace is in order during rebuild), new tires, rebuild brake calipers and master cylinders, etc.

Once all that is done it should be ready for a voyage. My first ride on the beast I lusted after for all of those years. Lets hope she can live up to the dream like standards that have lived in my head since my youth. I can't imagine that she wont.

All in all, assuming I can get it bought for the kind of money Im hoping, I would be hard pressed to lose. Worst case catasrophic failure on start up it can probably be parted out for what I have in it pretty easily. It might depress me a bit to do that, but I don't want to get into the cost of an engine overhaul.

Thanks for pushing me into a new obsession... You bastards.

We'll see what happens this weekend. I may be a new VF700 owner. (Thanks for the model correction as well.)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So it appears I'm a new 1985 VF700 owner. Worked out a too-cheap-to-pass-up price with the seller and I'm going to go grab it next weekend on the 5th and 6th. I've got a 500 mile drive so hopefully it was worth it.

I think it will be. It will be a good little tinkering project and let me own something I've wanted for years now.

Now, I may be hitting up some of VF guru's out there for advice as I get stuck during the resurrection.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Nialis
Super Motarded

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
The 85 was a VF-F, not a VF-R bike. The VF-R line (with the exception of the VF1000R) started in 1986 and did NOT have the cam oiling issues. Then you had an 86 750 F1, and 86 700F1, I think an 86 700F2 and an 87 700F2. The F1's had round "racing" style gauges, the F2's had more "dash" like gauges... Personally (I have over 100k miles on both an 87 700 and an 86 750), I liked the 700 motor better.

Dead reliable engines for the most part, the charging system (as a whole) was the weak link. I had one rotor cook it's wires inside the cover (broken connection), several plugs roast themselves to death and went through 4 Reg/Rec units (lasted roughly 30k miles). The engines do run hot and I installed a manual fan switch to keep ahead of the curve when I know I'd be stopping for awhile in traffic. Past that, it's the normal old bike limitations, spares are hard to come by and expensive when you find them. The wheels are odd sized, forks are REALLY skinny and flex like crazy, shock will be trash at this point in life, etc... I love the bikes, hate that I sold mine (could only afford one bike and had modded mine into a street legal racer that wasn't fitting with my recently acquired live-in GF) and will buy one again sometime in the future... if I don't find an RC30 first.

I had an HRC exhaust, '94 F2 (cartridge) front end, F2 rear wheel, and put an 86 750 motor in the 87 700 chassis. Oh yeah, there was a fox shock out back and a corbin seat under my behind... I think I had some sort of rearsets on there too.

Isn't this pic taken near Highlands North Carolina?
00' Aprilia Pegaso Cube "Pandora"
78' Suzi GS 750E
74' Harly Ableson Sportster
49' Hardly Davidson "Panny"

Love of My life...
88' Honda NT650GT "Pagosa" You will always be missed
Nialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nialis View Post
Isn't this pic taken near Highlands North Carolina?
Yup, was Bridal Veil Falls (of which there are a billion in the States) on 28... I think? It's been a decade.

I'd heard that they moved the blockades so you can now ride/drive up under the falls there now.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Wheels are coming!

So thanks to late night insomnia and eBay I now have a front and rear set of CBR600F2 wheels coming my way for the Interceptor. No more weird tire sizes or heavy ass wheels. Got these pretty complete with rotors, sprockets, cush drive, and front axle. Couldn't pass it up. Now to hit up Daughtery Motorsports about fit-kits to make them adapt over.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Chambersc.............the alloy looks the way it does because metal polishing is my business for the last 22 years. Check my link in my sig line.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Chambersc.............the alloy looks the way it does because metal polishing is my business for the last 22 years. Check my link in my sig line.
Well, that makes me feel better then knowing I quick sanded and polished by hand. I had my grinder set up at one time for polishing and that motor just wasn't strong enough. It really didn't like me much when I polished on it. I need to buy/build a dedicated polishing stand with a much larger motor.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
So O.C.F.Rider, what are your thoughts on RPM for polishing? Some of those 3/4 hp buffer motors are 3500rpm and others are 1100rpm. Which works best for normal Joe Nobody who does a bit of polishing for his own little projects?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Low RPM is preferred.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote