User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
YamaLink OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Old guy may repeat mistake of owning liter sport bike

Younger and more flexibile without knowing the definition of cramping saw me being a sportbike wannabe streetracer. I didn't cross the line of leather jacket with a big number on the back or slapping a girl on the back with her tramp stamp and whale tail high in the air, but I was close to that poseur. Age and wisdom saw me on more upright rides like a Vmax or Street Triple.

So I don't know why a CBR1000RR or BMWS1000 are being tested today. Something in me forgets why a short uncomfortable high rpm repli racer is not my cup of tea. I think it's the power to weight ratio and me thinking a sub-2 hour ride wouldn't be that uncomfortable.

Not a track within 7 hours of home. But many dealers hawking these hyper powerful bikes to unknowing 20 somethings and guy much older who should know better.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Ya only live once. Do it.

If you're asking people to talk you out of it, you're in the wrong place

Do some core exercises to get your lower back, abs, etc in good shape so you aren't holding yourself up with your wrists and you'll be fine on them speed machines.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I'm with DevilNinjaDog. How many more new bikes are you going to be able to own anyway? You can always buy something slower, heavier, and maybe more comfortable later when that's all you can ride.

There's a reason some people gravitate to sport bikes. Performance, handling, brakes, etc. Those things don't change for you just because you got old. I say this as someone who's well on his way to old.
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,077
You sound like you need a Super Duke test ride, uber cheap these days too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
How old are you? A friend of mine rides a GSX-R1000 K5 with no mods done to it and he rides quite a lot.....a lot! He can't stand upright riding position and neither can I BTW. Bolt upright like on a BMW kills my lower back....I'd rather kill my wrists

Edit: Jeeebus freaking Crowbars.....Seems like I've hit the old man wall too....forgot to say my friend is 64 years young

Offblnz screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 12:45 PM
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
YamaLink OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Tested one. Liked it but I purchased an 08 Speed Triple with Arrows for a great deal. Two years ago, about. May keep it.

Like the looks the uniqueness. It's been reliable (yes, a Triumph reliable). Sound. Ooohs and aaahs and I don't see one ten times a day.

But I miss that fear, the "whoa that was stupid" sensation. I'm responsible and knock on aluminum every day remember not to get to casual riding a weapon on the street. But admittedly I want to ride and be scared. Just sometimes, ha. Realized 99% of my rides are solo and under 2 hours. I've owned R1 and ZX9R before but the midrange lure of the CBR1000RR is attractive for the backroad twisties. And the marketing and 20+hp of the BMW are nice but I'd like to stay away from riding at 10,000 rpm all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

What part of the world is it where you can flog a 1000 for more than a half of a single gear or for longer than 10 seconds???
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
scooterjunkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Tested one. Liked it but I purchased an 08 Speed Triple with Arrows for a great deal. Two years ago, about. May keep it.

Like the looks the uniqueness. It's been reliable (yes, a Triumph reliable). Sound. Ooohs and aaahs and I don't see one ten times a day.

But I miss that fear, the "whoa that was stupid" sensation. I'm responsible and knock on aluminum every day remember not to get to casual riding a weapon on the street. But admittedly I want to ride and be scared. Just sometimes, ha. Realized 99% of my rides are solo and under 2 hours. I've owned R1 and ZX9R before but the midrange lure of the CBR1000RR is attractive for the backroad twisties. And the marketing and 20+hp of the BMW are nice but I'd like to stay away from riding at 10,000 rpm all day long.
I recently got the bug for something more performance oriented and bought a Speed Triple....I'm I gonna want someting faster than that? I'm worried about my license now....(I'm a whippersnapper at 40......and a half!)
1966 Honda CL77
scooterjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 250
But I miss that fear, the "whoa that was stupid" sensation. I'm responsible and knock on aluminum every day remember not to get to casual riding a weapon on the street. But admittedly I want to ride and be scared. Just sometimes, ha. Realized 99% of my rides are solo and under 2 hours. I've owned R1 and ZX9R before but the midrange lure of the CBR1000RR is attractive for the backroad twisties. And the marketing and 20+hp of the BMW are nice but I'd like to stay away from riding at 10,000 rpm all day long.[/QUOTE]

It's a "fear" "rush" type of thing or "rush" "fear" "rush. Hope I never lose that urge. Had a 82 y/o guys couple years ago ask me why I was riding so damn slow and I thought I was going at a pretty good clip. Still have the RC51 and will probably never get rid of it. My touring bike (put 9000 miles on it from last july to Oct. 4th) is a VFR1200. My oldest can't understand why I never got a CBR1000RR. Always liked that bike then again there are a lot of bikes out there I like. I keep coming back to more of a sportbike cause there still more comfortable for me and more fun. 100% of my rides are solo. Ever consider the Duc 1200MS kinda best of 4 worlds.

Mike
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post

I just got an older Speed Triple and that thing has plenty of power for me. My have clip-ons so I feel extra fast. Maybe you just want to get a set of clip-ons if you still have the triple. Or just go and get whatever you think it will blow your clothes off as you ride it!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
RC.
Cola

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Not to jack the thread, but what's "uber cheap" for a Super Duke these days? Cause I can't believe it.
RC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
RC.
Cola

Oddometer: 90
I've also been getting the itch for an all out sportbike. I've been riding an SV1000S, which most guys go and put a GSX-R front end on anyway... figure I might as just get the whole bike, rather than just go for the upgraded USD's, better brakes, etc. I'm wondering what a K6 750 would feel like compared with the SV. I've loved the new CBR1000RR since it came out, too, but it's been out of my price range. Anyways, I second the guys saying "go for it." A liter sportbike is never a rational decision. Just do it, ha. First time around couldn't have been too much of a "mistake" if you want to do it again, anyway.
RC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Not to jack the thread, but what's "uber cheap" for a Super Duke these days? Cause I can't believe it.

I'm betting my dealer will let their white 08 new leftover doorstop go for under $10k. Used they have been selling in the $7k range with low miles and some with Akras. For a $14k bike thats pretty cheap IMO!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
+1

Thrills without the pills. Have a it.

Terry

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
There's a reason some people gravitate to sport bikes. Performance, handling, brakes, etc. Those things don't change for you just because you got old. I say this as someone who's well on his way to old.
The same could be said about trophy wives.

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote