User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
sirtwisty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Heidenau 17" rears

Has anyone found a source for the rears yet.
I need new sneakers on my GS and can find fronts but not the rear.
Sir Twisty
sirtwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Highwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
140-80-17 available

140-80-17
Little bit narrower, little bit taller, readily available
Highwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
sirtwisty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Heidenau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwood View Post
140-80-17
Little bit narrower, little bit taller, readily available
Highwood
I'm all ears, have you or anyone else you know tried the size you mentioned, and if so, I'd like to hear how the tire performed.
I'm eager to try a set of this fabled & mysterious brand, so would welcome input from all.
Thanks
Sir Twisty
sirtwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
dzeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Two sources both say they'll have stock later in March-April. I've been looking also... no joy yet.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Refplusten
Relaxed...

Oddometer: 199
April? Thought it was last November ;)

Looks like you can pre-order them here. I'm sure their might be other places you can as well.
I just happened to be browsing on this site and saw it when you posted.

http://www.blackdogcw.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Code=Tires

I haven't heard about how the 140's wear but I've seen a few GSA's with it on, of course it's the 'old' tire tread and compound and not this new fangled one that no one has tested yet.
(In terms of real world riding anyway).

I have also heard from my supplier that April is the magic month. (The link is not my supplier)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Funny how that company claims "they last" when the new tire / compound hasn't even been manufactured yet!

My wife has a set of them in the proper size on her 650GS and they're looking pretty good after 1000 miles.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 737
So, are the new K60 Scout replacing the original K60 tires or will they be both in production? I was just on a Canadian website and the pics are from the original K60 and they don’t said anything about the Scout, just that it's a brand-new tire and more information is coming soon.

http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/k60FandR.html

BordenBmw screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 12:32 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtwisty View Post
Highwood
I'm all ears, have you or anyone else you know tried the size you mentioned, and if so, I'd like to hear how the tire performed.
I'm eager to try a set of this fabled & mysterious brand, so would welcome input from all.
Thanks
Sir Twisty
I have a 140/80-17 Mitas E-09 Dakar on my GS - no problems at all fitment wise at all - it's just to say a little taller and a little narrower than a 150.

The "new" new K60 with the solid bit down the center looks like not like the tire that I would want because it is way more biased towards highway than dirt - looks more like a 70/30 tire to me. The Tourance would be my choice there. The Mitas E-07 looks much more like a 50/50 tire to me and the price is cheaper than the K60.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,040
The K-60's gone thru 3 versions. The original first version had just the blocks no connector between the blocks, looked more like a TKC. Now, because of a few complaints about blocks flexing and feeling as the bike felt wobbly in turns, a connector was added between the blocks for version 2. Now as the final incarnation of the tire, version 3 if you will, the center is all connected but leaving the cuts and blocks to either side of the 1/4 of the connected center bead.

Why this new version (version 3)? Simple, the idea is that it cuts road noise from the whine of big block threaded tires on asphalt. It's intent is also to increase tire life (cut down wear) and three, while deflated in dirt, the blocks to either side of center have more contact, providing similar off-road traction benefits as version 1 and 2(not sure if I believe that yet)!

That being said, I have version 2 on my GS and they have performed very well BUT....... I'm fearful of version 3 only because version 2 is perfect in my book! My personal observations after about 3K miles is, perfect off-road but whines a little at 75, wear seems very good for a big block tire.....best I've seen. I know someone complained about loosing air and at first my front would loose a couple of pounds within a week, going from 35-30 in about 7 days. That for some reason was worse in cold temps then warm. It was suggested to me to over pump the tire to 40-45psi (tire max is 36psi) then deflate it to 34-36 with the idea of setting the bead better. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference but again, the tire isn't loosing much of any air now.

The dealer who sells these are very close by so I'm fortunate to have them. I've even thought I should buy spars because nobody else makes a tire much like this K-60 for a true 50/50 enduro! It's really just a plain great tire IMHO.

I have pictures of all three versions if someone wants to see it or post it for other to see.

Also, to the person asking about the 140/80.......I'm running those currently, they work just fine. I have not altered how or where I ride due to the slight size difference.

Pcfly screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 12:12 AM
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Refplusten
Relaxed...

Coincidence?

That's interesting about losing air in the front tire. My friend with the 1000 Wee-Strom is having the same issue with his front (Version 1 tires).
I'm not sure if the change in versions affects the design of the front tire. Can anyone shine some light on that?

Anywho... his front tire would seem to just let out air under tougher conditions such as logging roads and some serious pavement twisties. Not sure if it's doing it routinely but the last two times we went out riding (same 2 conditions mentioned) we've had to stop and pump up the tire then go. It almost seems as if it just lets air out in a relatively short period while under strain. He's left his bike in his garage for a few months at a time with it holding it's air. Almost makes me think I should find a different tire for the front. A TCK 80 might be great but I don't do enough off road to justify a true knobby though.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I have pictures of all three versions if someone wants to see it or post it for other to see.

Also, to the person asking about the 140/80.......I'm running those currently, they work just fine. I have not altered how or where I ride due to the slight size difference.
love to see the pics if you have them!

I'v read all about them all & they sound like good 50/50 tyres. Not sure which version is available locally just now so am curious. I think I know the diff between #1 & #2 but not #3...
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Wicked

Quote:
The K-60's gone thru 3 versions. The original first version had just the blocks no connector between the blocks, looked more like a TKC. Now, because of a few complaints about blocks flexing and feeling as the bike felt wobbly in turns, a connector was added between the blocks for version 2. Now as the final incarnation of the tire, version 3 if you will, the center is all connected but leaving the cuts and blocks to either side of the 1/4 of the connected center bead.

Why this new version (version 3)? Simple, the idea is that it cuts road noise from the whine of big block threaded tires on asphalt. It's intent is also to increase tire life (cut down wear) and three, while deflated in dirt, the blocks to either side of center have more contact, providing similar off-road traction benefits as version 1 and 2(not sure if I believe that yet)!

That being said, I have version 2 on my GS and they have performed very well BUT....... I'm fearful of version 3 only because version 2 is perfect in my book! My personal observations after about 3K miles is, perfect off-road but whines a little at 75, wear seems very good for a big block tire.....best I've seen. I know someone complained about loosing air and at first my front would loose a couple of pounds within a week, going from 35-30 in about 7 days. That for some reason was worse in cold temps then warm. It was suggested to me to over pump the tire to 40-45psi (tire max is 36psi) then deflate it to 34-36 with the idea of setting the bead better. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference but again, the tire isn't loosing much of any air now.

The dealer who sells these are very close by so I'm fortunate to have them. I've even thought I should buy spars because nobody else makes a tire much like this K-60 for a true 50/50 enduro! It's really just a plain great tire IMHO.

Ever seen the movie "born to ride" where the captain at one point starts cutting up bloks on the tires with a knife... when his superiour ask "what the hell he was doing" he responds "better traction".

make a version 2 out of a 3 is my suggestion
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
pics from PCfly (thanks).

first pic is version 3 on the left & version 1

2nd pic is version 2 on the left (with a front)
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
Refplusten
Relaxed...

I've ridden my buds 1000 wee-strom on the version 1 K60 on some great paved twisties doing 100km/h (60km/h zone) and had a great time and had no feeling that death was imminent. Felt good and sure footed. I have no quams with getting the K60 for the rear of my GSA. I do have MINOR reservations about the front due to the somewhat common issue of it losing air for no apparent reason... But I usually don't make the best choices in life so I'll probably get it anyway. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Perhaps you missed this sentence:
"They are adequate on tarmac, excellent on gravel, good in rain, best mud tire yet, though a fully-loaded GSA in mud is just stupid."
Didn't miss it. I quoted part of it. Just wanted more info on what "adequate on tarmac" meant. Still wanting. Just asking for data. This concerns me
Quote:
low on fun ...... less tarmac grip than TKC
I ride for fun. I have a truck for transportation.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 10:01 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote