User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,107
Ascot Owners forum

Well the Ascot doesn't have it's own thread so I just started one.

I have just gotten my FT500 and found that information in one place is lacking. So if you own either the FT500 or the VT500 lets make this a place to pass on information and stories. If you have done modifications please let us know that as well.

I will post up pictures of mine when I get batteries for the camera.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 06:50 AM
truck6driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
FT500
Honda FT500 - 'Ascot

Oddometer: 28
I've got a '82 Ascot here in Melbourne. I recently busted a cam, got a new one installed, trying to get the bugger going again.
FT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Well, I had an '82 FT500 for several years. Painted it, put the White Bros carb kit and exhaust on it, generally fixed it up. It was a fun bike, but not very fast.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,107
Well I got batteries now. Here is My 83' FT500. Only 3200 miles on her. I did pull the baffle out of the muffler and modify the inlet tube for better flow and then reinstalled. Only thing wrong with it is the tachometer is broken. The PO lost the rubber plug out of the gauge cluster and when it sat up dirt dabbers build a nest in it. The spring for the needle was almost eroded away after I took the nest out.

Here she is.

Ray
truck6driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
camit34-1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Nice FT... I really dig my Ascot. Here is the only picture I have of it. It's an '83 VT that my dad bought new in '84. I've had for the last 3 years. It runs good but needs a little help. Also a little updating...still coming up with plans for that. Also have an '83 & '84 parts bikes.

camit34-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,200
Just in case you guys don't know, there are "groups" for the FT500 and VT500 at Yahoo:

FT500 Enthusiasts Group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/honda-ascot/

VT500FT Enthusiasts Group:http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...00enthusiasts/
Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
l.eash@yahoo.com
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Carb questions?

I'm updating/modifying/restoring an ft500 and had a few questions; is the small nipple on the right side and the nipple on the bottom overflows? Where does the second small outlet on the back of the petcock go, is it just an overflow as well?
l.eash@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
~JM~
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have owned both the VT500FT & an FT500 Ascot. They are both completely different animals & both are truly great bikes. The VT is a much more civilized road machine, while the FT is more of a "Roadster" or could be a light dual sport type of bike. The VT500FT Ascot is probably the ultimate low maintenance bike & just a joy to ride. The FT500 offers a bit more options for customizing & after-market support.

The main thing that the FT needs is some intake & exhaust modifications. The bike is fairly choked up by the factory. Here is some information on modifying the air cleaner & air box to allow better breathing, plus there are 2 jets that need to be exchanged. They are also listed here.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...0%26%20intake/

These mods will allow you to change the countershaft sprocket to one tooth larger giving you more speed.

The exhaust is not as easy. There was a slip on muffler produced by "F1" or Cobra, but it is no longer available. I was fortunate enough to find one on eBay, but it took longer than a year to show up. Thumper Stuff offers a nice set of Head Pipes, but he hadn't worked out the muffler part yet the last I had heard. http://www.thumperstuff.com/FT500.html#exhaust

These 4 fairly simple mods really wake up the FT & makes it feel like a 500 instead of a 350cc bike.

Gut The Air Box
Richer Jets (A Must Do)
Larger Countershaft Sprocket
Free Flowing Exhaust

Good luck & enjoy one of the least appreciated (but truly great) bikes Honda produced.

~JM~

~JM~ screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 11:54 AM
~JM~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
HondaVT500FT
n00b

Oddometer: 7

Just joined the site, thought I'd introduce myself with a photo of my current ride. I own this lightly modified 82 FT, an 83 FT I'm going to reassemble some day and an 83 VT that I've pretty well worn out.
John
HondaVT500FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Tiellswheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Trying to help a buddy back in Oh. His FT project bike isn't charging.
Looking for the following info;

- Anyone have the OEM charging system output specs/measurements and at what RPM
- Possible known charging system gremlins that he could look at as well

His battery is good.

Appreciate any assistance that can be provided
"76 R90/6 (sold)
Tiellswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 267
Ft500

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.eash@yahoo.com View Post
I'm updating/modifying/restoring an ft500 and had a few questions; is the small nipple on the right side and the nipple on the bottom overflows? Where does the second small outlet on the back of the petcock go, is it just an overflow as well?
You might post your question at this site as it is much more active:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/honda-ascot/

kenstone
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
nolan6838
wrencher

Oddometer: 2
Hey there, anyone have a spare vt500 ascot fuel tank they would like to part with? If so pm me.
nolan6838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan6838 View Post
Hey there, anyone have a spare vt500 ascot fuel tank they would like to part with? If so pm me.
The veritable Holy Grail of motorcycle parts. Good luck with your search, finding one that the bottom hasn't already rusted out on is very hard to do. If you have a semi-intact one, your best bet may be to have it professionally repaired. You can also fit a VT500C Shadow tank (these tanks aren't as rare), which actually gives you a little more capacity, but you'll either have to modify your side covers (which are just about as rare as the gastanks) or make your own side covers to accommodate the different contours at the rear of the Shadow tank.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
nolan6838
wrencher

Oddometer: 2
When i bought the bike it came with a shadow tank thats actually in perfect shape. It doesnt really fit though, the mounting brackets are a little closer together. Im building a cafe bike out of it and the shadow tank is a little wide.
nolan6838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The veritable Holy Grail of motorcycle parts. Good luck with your search, finding one that the bottom hasn't already rusted out on is very hard to do. If you have a semi-intact one, your best bet may be to have it professionally repaired. You can also fit a VT500C Shadow tank (these tanks aren't as rare), which actually gives you a little more capacity, but you'll either have to modify your side covers (which are just about as rare as the gastanks) or make your own side covers to accommodate the different contours at the rear of the Shadow tank.

The Ascot tank is like Yamaha Vision, they're all rotten now too.
I fiberglass end one and it worked fine for as long as i owned it, though we have minimal corn juice in our fuel here and I understand that ethanol will soften it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote