Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
earwig OP
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,722
'66 Desert Sled (Better Late Than Never)

Poor old Trudy.

Twenty years is a good stretch by any measure.

Far too long to be abandoned to the forgotten corners of uncounted garages, lofts and warehouses, while her master chased one hopeless relationship or business after another.

She had run, off and on, over the years, had a few laps around the track with other vintage racers, been subjected to the indignities of stripped lights, safety wire and more than a few cheap aftermarket parts. She's rumored to have even worn another bike's plates, when one owner couldn't afford to insure her . . .

Receiving the occasional polish and wax, or having her valves and timing bits experience the odd slap and tickle kept her alive, but she watched the others get ridden regularly. They'd come and go, sometimes be replaced by shiny new bikes, and all the while she'd wait neglected in the cobwebs.

Not that she'd lost her pride. Quite the contrary, she stood defiantly oblivious to her neglect, giving her master a sly wink now and then, to keep him enthralled. She knew her power, and was secure in her ability to eventually seduce her master into giving her all of his attention.
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 539
ah yes… the scales always find a way to level out. You best be thankful she only had eyes for you.
elite-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 968
Your long-lingering lass may need her sludge tube douched out before you jump her frame.

spartanman screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 07:09 AM
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I can't wait to follow along in the hopes that I will have some time this year to get some work done one mine.
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
earwig OP
Crowbar of Embrayage

When I moved back to Portland from L.A., in 1990, I found a live/work loft in an old building on the East side. The building owner was a trust fund kid who had great taste in lots of the stuff I like. He collected cars, motorcycles, guitars, modernist furniture and neglected industrial property. Tough life.

His primary bike was a beautiful black and white '58 Duo Glide (thanks to Flying Eyeball for Harley history info). I could only afford an old Honda CM450, but he'd talked his brother-in-law into an old British bike. It was a bitsa that had been assembled from whatever was left over in a tired local British motorcycle shop that was closing it's doors. '66 Bonneville frame, '72 TR6R motor, '69 forks and front brake and various other cycle parts of dubious origin.

Well, it only took one attempted ride and a little spill for the BIL to swear off riding forever. The spill had snapped the sidestand lug and stoved in the headlight, along with the usual torn rubbers and bent 'bars. His pride damaged, he cursed the poor Triumph and left it leaning against a column on the first floor of the loft.

After walking past her for a few months, and realizing he wasn't about to regain interest, I inquired as to what it might take to get him to part with her. He said he'd paid $650 (a great price, even then) and figured that's what she was still worth. All I had was $500, but the sight of the green cash overcame his objections swiftly, and she was mine.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
earwig OP
Crowbar of Embrayage

Now I was going to be cash strapped until the next paycheck, but I had a Triumph!

Wheeling her into the freight elevator, I started to notice a few bits missing. I asked the BIL, and he said his friend had started to try to "fix" the bike, because it wasn't running anymore. He'd get the missing parts for me. Uh huh.

A brief inventory showed the zener diode and the entire contents of the timing housing were missing. Well, there's your problem!

I was able to bump the headlight shell and rim back into shape, and tidy up various things, but the BIL was never able to produce the missing pieces. She spent the next several months, through the Winter, displayed in my loft. By Spring I was able to source the needed pieces and, with the help of a friend, get her running again, but that was only the beginning.

The BIL had never produced a title. I could have demanded my money back, but I couldn't part with her. I did some searching through the DMVs of Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California and came up with nothing. In the intervening months I'd gotten married, had an overseas honeymoon, moved and expanded my business . . . and begun to discover that the marriage wasn't working out too smoothly.

And thus began Trudy's life of neglect.

There was never a shortage of running bikes, crises or just general chaos in my life (like everyone's), so she was relegated to garage fixture status. Something I never found the time to address, but could never part with.

I can't explain to anyone, especially myself, how I could possess a classic motorcycle for two decades without finding the time to put her right. Several attempts to get her titled ended with frustration and the answer always seemed to be spending money on a lawyer to get it sorted. Because she was never a priority, I simply didn't have a budget to deal with it. I was always just going to get to her later . . .

Poor old Trudy.