Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
gentlemanjim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question Sport touring Tire recommendation?

I needing to buy some new treads and would like to hear recommedations for long lasting high mileage sport touring Radials. Most of my riding will be on the slab so finding tires that hold up well in the center is my goal.

I'm considering - They all make claims, would rather here from those that have them and leanr which work best.

Bridgestone Battle Axe 023
Pirelli Angel ST
Dunlop Roadsmart ST
Michelin Pilot Road, Pilot Road 2
Avon V45
Continental Conti Motion, Conti Force

Your input is greatly appreciated
gentlemanjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
Pilot road 3. Love mine. Feel better and great in the rain
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
gentlemanjim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
How many miles on them and how are they wearing?
gentlemanjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Maybe a 1000 miles
Great.. I belive they are still called pr2's with a 3. You can tell my the new tread design
Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
The only COnti that shoudl be on that list is the Road Attack. The Motion and Force you mention pale in comparison.

I have run Pilot Road2's, COnti Road Attacks, and 023's...I like the 023's the best in the rain, on the freeway, in the cooler weather, and for it's wear resistance, and for it's stability when towing my single wheeled trailer.
I like the Road Attack best for the twisties and appearance (face it-it's the best looking tire available), but it wasn't confidence inspiring on crappy asphalt or wet roads.

PR2 was great in rain, and wore well, but cupped and scalloped badly causing weird vibrations, even before 5000 miles.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Haven't tried the new BT023 but have used a few sets of the BT021 on various bikes and found tread life and traction excellent. My bikes are a fair bit lighter than your new sled though.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post

PR2 was great in rain, and wore well, but cupped and scalloped badly causing weird vibrations, even before 5000 miles.

I've noticed this too. I really love my PR2s but I have about 8K on them now and the scalloping is quite bad. I get a loud humming noise and some new vibrations while leaned over. Riding a set of twisties without speeding up or slowing down but just maintaining a constant pace seems to have smoothed out the rear tire somewhat. However, my riding style most be conducive to scalloping tires or something because the same thing happens on my Ninja 250 when the tires are nearly worn out.

Also, the front PR2 on my VFR appears to be wearing slightly faster than the rear.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
ManiacalChicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
The only COnti that shoudl be on that list is the Road Attack. The Motion and Force you mention pale in comparison.

I have run Pilot Road2's, COnti Road Attacks, and 023's...I like the 023's the best in the rain, on the freeway, in the cooler weather, and for it's wear resistance, and for it's stability when towing my single wheeled trailer.
I like the Road Attack best for the twisties and appearance (face it-it's the best looking tire available), but it wasn't confidence inspiring on crappy asphalt or wet roads.

I agree i have used Road Attacks and have gotten 6000 miles and still going, held up great and no problems once so ever on a FZ1.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Mike Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:

Been searching for info on PR2s vs PR3s. So far I can only tell that the PR3s extra sipes give extra grip in the rain. I never lose grip on the PR2s and I ride regularly in wet and dry. I also would not drive faster in the wet just because my tyres are said to have a bit more grip so I would need another reason to spend the extra cash on PR3s.

As for 023s, for some reason my rear tyre developed a couple of splits going across the center of it. Could not work out what the hell caused them. However I recently came back from a road trip at the time which involved high speeds for long periods of time. I put the problem down to durability and went back to PR2s. Never had them split. Maybe I just had bad luck with that particular pair of 023s, but I think I will stay with what works for me.
Mike Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but did you use the PR2's before going to the 3's?

If so how do they compare in your opinion. I currently have the PR2's on my FJR and really like them but at some point this summer I will need to replace them.
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
pyro_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Road attacks are my goto tire for sport touring I got about 16K miles out of a rear tire when i had my Triumph TT600.
pyro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
9k out of a 180/55 BT-023. loved this tire. did not flatten in the center. excellent grip at the edge.

4k so far from pirelli angels. rear is developing a flat stripe in the middle. lots of highway? skip this one.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBB View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but did you use the PR2's before going to the 3's?

If so how do they compare in your opinion. I currently have the PR2's on my FJR and really like them but at some point this summer I will need to replace them.
Yes I went thru 2 sets of them. Get the 3 they arer better. I got 11000. Miles out of each set of 2 s
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
branchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Pr3

Go with Michelin Pilot Road 3.

I had PR2 and they were fine (10500 km with lot of highway ride).
Then I tried Pirelli Angel ST, no good in rain, they lasted only 6000 km.

Now I have PR3, very happy, rode 2000 km in every condition (snow, rain, highway, sun up to 30°C). Fine tyres.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10207...42729174810433
branchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thanks for the feedback on the PR3's. I like the PR2's and was hoping Michelin didn't screw up a good thing with the 3's.
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote