User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Hughlysses OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
Wood Burning El Camino

Just found this vid on the "That'll Buff Out Blog" (http://cars.failblog.org/)

Apparently it's a wood gasifier supplying combustion gas for a blown 350 small block Chevy. Pretty impressive engineering.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Yeah, the instructions to build one used to be in the FEMA manual...

Here are some others
I like this vintage unit..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,036
That's some cool shit. I wonder if it could be set up to power my RV?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
TopDeadCenter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Post war europe had wood burning tractoors along the same lines. rationed petrol and all. Neat idea. wonder if the gassifying unit could be made smaller. Looks as if you are running a mobile still.

TDC

GS850GLX
DR350SE
TopDeadCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
You can build a unit to run a common generator!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
Didn't click the vids, but gasification systems are more common than ya think. One guy in Missouri claimed to be able to get 5000 miles/cord of wood in his truck. Pretty interesting/cool.

..and here's a BMW sidecar rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRocket View Post
You can build a unit to run a common generator!
Yeah, they did that on that crappy Discovery channel show about post-apocalyptic survival.

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
On the subject of gasification, it's actually possible to do it to more than just wood. One guy in the midwest (forgot where exactly, Iowa?) gasifies old tires. He's able to extract a gas and a liquid. Both of which are a combustible fuel.

Many of these operations are much like distilling moon-shine and the equipment is similarly simple; a burner and some pipes. For me, it's just another project to get around to.

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
googled gasification of tires. There's plenty of stuff , I watched a couple of u-tubes .
They turn old tires into carbon black and a oil that can run diesel engines.
Why isn't this more widespread?
I didn't see how eficent the process was, but in one film they claimed the process to be non-polluting.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Orange Toaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDeadCenter View Post
Post war europe had wood burning tractoors along the same lines. rationed petrol and all. Neat idea. wonder if the gassifying unit could be made smaller. Looks as if you are running a mobile still.

TDC
All of Europe used this technology for cars and trucks, etc. during WW2 and for a while after. Fuel was primarily for the warfare. Doctors and other important civil services could get fuel as well, but for the commoners it was gas.

/OT
Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
The Cyclops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Thats really cool. I am going to have to do a little more reading on the subject, wondering what the makeup is of the gas and why it couldn't be compressed and kept in a smaller tank on a car. If the oil companies have me killed, somebody expose the truth....
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,260
Been a year ... could do with a bump.

http://gasifier.wpengine.com/personal-energy-grid

$34k for a generator
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Wood gas was a primary source of gas for the old "gas light" days with gas plants in every neighborhood in some areas. This was before the discovery of natural gas and propane. I actually visited a brownfield site in NJ that was an old wood gas generation site.

The gas can be cleaned and compressed from what I understand. There is not a lot of information on this branch of the wood gas community though.

Another neat idea is waste gas from a partially closed compost pile. I was involved in a project that turned a landfill into a gas generation site (and a solar farm). The gas was piped to a Coca-Cola facility where they burned it for electricity and hot water. The site was guaranteed to produce enough gas to feed 2 3MW generators for 20 years!.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
Wood gas was a primary source of gas for the old "gas light" days with gas plants in every neighborhood in some areas. This was before the discovery of natural gas and propane. I actually visited a brownfield site in NJ that was an old wood gas generation site.

The gas can be cleaned and compressed from what I understand. There is not a lot of information on this branch of the wood gas community though.

Another neat idea is waste gas from a partially closed compost pile. I was involved in a project that turned a landfill into a gas generation site (and a solar farm). The gas was piped to a Coca-Cola facility where they burned it for electricity and hot water. The site was guaranteed to produce enough gas to feed 2 3MW generators for 20 years!.
Neat idea on the waste gas. Do you have anymore info on it?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Neat idea on the waste gas. Do you have anymore info on it?
There is a little information on the web, but most composters are trying NOT to produce methane. Methane is produced by anaerobic decomp, so the compost would have to be sealed to some degree and not disturbed by turning. I have been researching this, but have not found any definitive answers.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Les Peterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
One of the biggest problems with this style of gasifacaiton is this method. To make this work a system will consume 40-60% of the feed material to make the syngas. This syngas is what is powering the mechanical process we see in these vidios. FYI the energy density for most "good" syngas systems is only about 320 BTU per cubic foot of syngas. Compare that to the BTU's of methane at 1013.2 and you get the picture. This pictured system is not a good syngas system, they are producing at least 40% CO2. Carbon dioxied in the combustion chamber is an energy robber, as in it takes heat away from combustion and when heating up displaces snygas and air. A person could help this some by using NOS or even liquid O2 if brave enough.
Someone mentioned that sulphur was a problem here. That is true to some extent but, the bigger problem is chloride compounds. All cellulosic material will have some chlorides in it along with the sulphur. This chloride is what produces the HCL or hydrogenchloride gas i.e. acid. Without a scrubber system installed then yes this causes major problems for the internal combustion engine, the piping, the compressor and whatever it touches.
I would love to see this technology more mobile but the engineering hurdles are huge. For instance, a 1megawatt sytem with all the EPA regulated items covered would require 7 semi trucks to move around. Not an option for the normal person.
Another way to gasify something would be to use the wood to fire a POX chamber. POX is partial oxidation where the oxygen and nitrogen is limited and controlled to optimize the production of syngas and minimize the production of CO2 and NOS compounds. If the POX reactor is kept hot enough (between 1100-1400 C) then the sulphur plates out on the walls and pipes as elemental sulphur and causes little harm. The HCL can be scrubbed with a simple sodium hydroxide liquid scrubber and kept at atmospheric pressure.
Maybe someday I will build me a syngas fired generator. A free fuel source would be required though as the cap cost to build something like this would be huge. A good blend of fuel would be to use wood, plastic (not PVC though) and shredded tires. Then I would install a waste heat recovery system to heat my home and shop and hot water. The syngas could also be used for cooking and firing the primary hot water heater and backup gas furnace for heating the house.
Les Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: