Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Adventure Barbecue Averted - Now where can I get this connector?

Doing some maintenance I noticed a little aneurysm on my Regulator/Rectifier connector. Thinking it odd I tried to separate the connector, but it was fused! I hadn't noticed any charging issues before this (no battery whistle or dead battery after sitting). It's a little too far from running condition to check now too. I think I'll at least replace the RR, but I would like to keep from cutting up the connector on a new unit. Anyone know where I can find the mating connector on the stator side (assuming I don't have to buy a whole stator!)?

2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Sacal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Try Eastern Beaver!

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

I got a couple of tiny three way fuse blocks and some other hard to find connectors from him a few months ago. Quick delivery and good service....drop him an email if you don't see what you need, he can source most connectors for bikes.

No affiliation, just a happy customer!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
Do you think that was from being crudded up? That connector is a crap magnet, but yours looks pretty clean...
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Thanks for the link Sacal. I'll try them if I find the stator is still good.

The connector looks clean because I cleaned it. I'm not sure what the root cause is yet. Something sure caused a lot of heat generation in there. The bike has 37,000 miles on it, so it could just be a combination of old wire, crap in the connector, high loads (two 90W heated vests + other accessories & HID's firing up?) or who knows... I don't want to rule anything out completely yet.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 07:35 PM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Do a Google search for Aprilia Brown Connector, they ae notorius for cooking these parts. General solution seems to be to dump the connector and hard wire.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
Cut it out and connect the wires permanently , cut as close to the burnt connector as close as possible because each time you want to disconnect you will loose some more wire . When one component fails order new connectors with the new component . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Teeblatt
Stoichiometric Bliss

Oddometer: 73
Question Not Confirmed, but I think I kow what this connector is.

I think I've tracked down this connector, but have not confirmed the dimensions. The plug appears to be a Sumitomo HD Series 305 P/N# 6098-0208 Male and P/N# 6098-0210 female.

If anyone is in the know on this plug, please let me know, is this right connector and is there a source for small quantities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pic of the terminals.

Pic of the connector body

Sumitomo HD Series catalog
http://www.sws.co.jp/en/product/conn...pdf/nwp_hd.pdf
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,464
The Sumitomo PN ref is correct, but as you state/ask, the source for small numbers is very difficult to find. I have tried this site previously, they may or may not be able to get the parts: http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/

Personally, I would maintain a connector and if replacing the failed connector, then I would replace it with a very common Delhpi WeatherPak that is rated for the current and call it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeblatt View Post
I think I've tracked down this connector, but have not confirmed the dimensions. The plug appears to be a Sumitomo HD Series 305 P/N# 6098-0208 Male and P/N# 6098-0210 female.

If anyone is in the know on this plug, please let me know, is this right connector and is there a source for small quantities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pic of the terminals.

Pic of the connector body

Sumitomo HD Series catalog
http://www.sws.co.jp/en/product/conn...pdf/nwp_hd.pdf
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Teeblatt
Stoichiometric Bliss

Oddometer: 73
Thanks Head2Wind.

I'll contact them Monday to see if anything is possible. I noticed them and that the item is not open to buy. If nothing is available, I like your recommendation on the Delphi 630 series/sealed. The 40A rating and sealed contacts are an ideal replacement for the short prone unsealed connector on the oem stator/regulator connection.

Thanks for your time and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The Sumitomo PN ref is correct, but as you state/ask, the source for small numbers is very difficult to find. I have tried this site previously, they may or may not be able to get the parts: http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/

Personally, I would maintain a connector and if replacing the failed connector, then I would replace it with a very common Delhpi WeatherPak that is rated for the current and call it done.