User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Searching for Old Bridges in Central Illinois

Today I met up with JUNIOR650 with plans to show him some old abandon iron bridges across the Mackanaw River. I found 5 such bridges last fall and winter and will continue to search for more old bridges in central Illinois as time permits.
Below is a Google map of the locations of the 4 bridges we plan to visit today.

UPDATE; Here is a gpx file of 475+ old bridges in Illinois.

We met up at the Caseys General Store in Mackanaw and the sun was shining bright (but this didnt last for long, more on that later). We headed west out of town on Route 9 to the first bridge (B3). This bridge is in rather good shape with a concrete deck. You can drive over it but the other side goes to private property. Location... N40 28'01.8" W89 26'16.2"

AS we leave heading to the next location we notice the weather changing very quickly. The sun is gone and the wind is picking up. Its getting dark off to the west. Bridge B2 cannot be accessed from the north so we pass it up and continue to bridge B4. This bridge is not crossable so we stop on the north side and look around and take a few pics.

Here are a couple pics from the south side of the bridge. This is the best way to come in, as there are several miles of gravel road.

Location... N40 28'36.30" W89 32'18.31"

We start to here thunder and see lightning so we mount up and head out again to the next bridge (right into the storm). We only ride a couple more miles and the rain starts. Gental at first, but this does not last long. It is raining hard when we reach the bridge (B1). This bridge can be crossed and has a trail that leads into the timber where we retreat under the cover of large trees.

Pic under trees.

I didnt get any pictures of this bridge as it was raining too hard. This is another nice bridge with a concrete deck. I will go back and get some pics and post them as time permits.
location... N40 30'47.93" W89 24'08.5"

We waited till the rain let up and headed back to the bridge we could not get to from the north. The rain started again along with the wind. We decided to pull into the Caseys General Store in Hopedale to wait the rain out. We grabbed a snack and rehydrated while the rain and HAIL fell outside. After 20 min we were ready to try it again. The GPS led us down a long gravel/sand road to towards bridge B2. When we arrived there was a truck parked by the opening in the fence to get up on the leeve to get around the fence to the bridge :( With no way onto the leeve we turned around and headed back. There was a large thunder storm off to the west again and we decided to head home.

Location... N40 26'20.08" W89 34'2176"

As I find more old iron bridges in the area I will update.
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

rhino_adv screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 06:28 AM
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
JUNIOR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Great riding with you again! Hopefully next time we dont have to deal with the rain, lightning, and mosquitos.
JUNIOR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got out for a ride this afternoon and ended up in Logan County at this old bridge I have crossed many times. I stopped and took a few photos to share. There are two old iron bridges just a few yards apart. They are just north of lincoln and cross the kickapoo Creek.

PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some pics of a bridge I was told about earlier this week. A gentalman in his early 50s told me he used to fish off it in the 1960s and 70s. He wasnt sure the bridge was still there but gave me great directions and I found it just where he said it was. The bridge is just off Swisher Hill in Dewitt County.
The bridge was nicely restored in 1987 and still open for traffic to cross the creek.

Location... N40 13' 23.1" W88 49' 16.9"

Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
smg94131
SF-CA R1200GS

Oddometer: 26
I am goof for historical bridges whether iron or concrete. I too nearly always want to stop for a picture.

I can add to that staircases in cities with step hills....but you can't ride them very well.

Keep going...

S
smg94131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today I walked through the garage and noticed how sad the XT600 looked since it hadnt been ridden for sometime. So, I pushed it out to the driveway and grabbed my helmet and Fieldsheer jacket and headed for some gravel. I picked up a gravel road just west of my place and ran it south towards Logan County. I headed to another old iron bridge in the center of the county. Here are a few pics.

location N40 12' 38.4" W89 20' 44.8"

nice road coming in from the west...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post
Here are some pics of a bridge I was told about earlier this week. A gentalman in his early 50s told me he used to fish off it in the 1960s and 70s. He wasnt sure the bridge was still there but gave me great directions and I found it just where he said it was. The bridge is just off Swisher Hill in Dewitt County.
The bridge was nicely restored in 1987 and still open for traffic to cross the creek.

Location... N40 13' 23.1" W88 49' 16.9"

Nice pics!! I lived right up the hill in the village of Dewitt for 14 yrs before I moved to FLA. Thanks for the memory jog!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

update

Quote:
I got out for a ride this afternoon and ended up in Logan County at this old bridge I have crossed many times. I stopped and took a few photos to share. There are two old iron bridges just a few yards apart. They are just north of lincoln and cross the kickapoo Creek.

I cross these bridges several times a week on my way to and from Lincoln. Last night I went to Lincoln to return some movies to the RED BOX and found the bridges closed. I did not have my camera, as it was in the tank bag of the KLR, so I returned today to photograph them.
These bridges have needed maintanince for several years, but have not gotten any. Since there is a new concrete bridge just a 1/2 mile to the east, I do not expect these bridges will ever be repaired and opened for traffic.

Logan County has a history of removing its old iron bridges shortly after they have been decomishined. If you wish to see these bridges you should make a point of doing so soon.
And YES, MARK....I did go around the baracades and cross the bridges..
Video below!!!

Brad
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
And YES, MARK....I did go around the baracades and cross the bridges..
Video below!!!
Good for you.

Stop signs---speed limit signs----warning signs are for people that don't know how to drive----(98% of the public)

Road Closed signs are an invite to give it a go !!!!

Mark
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
stinkyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Eek bridges

you didn't burn any of those on your way back did you ?!?
stinkyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,308
Awesome!

I live in Mahomet and recognize a few of these, is the one just North of Mahomet near the twin silo farm? Its at an angle from the road today but you can walk over to it.
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 126
Rhino, here is a bridge I used to fish at when I was a kid, it's down some fun back roads if I remember correctly.
http://bridgehunter.com/il/shelby/cowden/

Also, here is where I grew up, starting here and heading south are some fun roads too. Also right near there is the Ridge Cemetery with some neat old gravestones from the 1700s. I think the oldest is right at the top of the hill near a large evergreen tree.

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Un...us&mra=mr&z=12

I really wish I could ride there with you, but since I can't I'm really looking forward to the pics in this forum!
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
Rhino, here is a bridge I used to fish at when I was a kid, it's down some fun back roads if I remember correctly.
http://bridgehunter.com/il/shelby/cowden/

Also, here is where I grew up, starting here and heading south are some fun roads too. Also right near there is the Ridge Cemetery with some neat old gravestones from the 1700s. I think the oldest is right at the top of the hill near a large evergreen tree.

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Un...us&mra=mr&z=12

I really wish I could ride there with you, but since I can't I'm really looking forward to the pics in this forum!

Suruppak, the Cowden bridge is one of the bridges on my list for next week. Thanks for the info on the Ridge Cemetery. I enjoy searching old cemeterys looking for old grave stones.

Here is a Google Map of the location of the 8 bridges I wish to visit. Im not sure there will be enough time to stop at them all in one day, as its a 2.5 hour ride each way. If I have to return later to finish them all, I'll let you know.

Brad
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Suruppak, the Cowden bridge is one of the bridges on my list for next week. Thanks for the info on the Ridge Cemetery. I enjoy searching old cemeterys looking for old grave stones.

Here is a Google Map of the location of the 8 bridges I wish to visit. Im not sure there will be enough time to stop at them all in one day, as its a 2.5 hour ride each way. If I have to return later to finish them all, I'll let you know.

Brad
The bridges that you have labled Becks Creek O-PT2 and C-PT3 are both closed and impassable, however the one labled Becks Creek O-PT1 is crossable on a bike but has some floated boards from high water. I suspect that it will be closed soon. I crossed O-PT2 just last fall, but found it closed and stripped a few weeks ago.
If you need a riding partner PM me! I love riding in that area.
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
vfrpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by begeberg View Post
I live in Mahomet and recognize a few of these, is the one just North of Mahomet near the twin silo farm? Its at an angle from the road today but you can walk over to it.

Yes begeberg, this bridge is near the twin silo's and at an angle to the road. There is a break in the guard rail to allow foot traffic into view the bridge.