User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
King_Panther13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Considering buying a wrecked 2005 CBR600RR

On a completely different forum, I mentioned that I rode motorcycles...got a PM from someone basically saying "I used to ride, but after my last wreck I decided to quit. If you're interested in my bike that I wrecked, I'd maybe sell it to you once it's payed off."

He then sent me another PM "I am including some pics of my wrecked bike. As for the frame, I think the sub-frame where the passenger sits is bent out of shape. I'm not a mechanic but I have no problem letting people inspect it. The engine still runs and I start it a couple times a week."

Here are those pics:

He then told me that he wrecked it when riding with a friend. He accidentally clipped his friend's rear tire after they passed a vehicle. He says that he doesn't know much about forks, but he doesn't think that they're in bad shape, and doesn't remember them leaking oil.

Oh, and he has a title to it .

He never named a price, and I'm honestly uncertain as to how much I should offer...or if it's something I should tackle.

A bit about me: I don't really like sports bikes. I'm big on standards, UJMs, and light touring bikes like the Strom. I always feel extremely cramped when sitting on a bike with clipons, though I've never actually ridden one before. However, I love wrenching on things, so the damage to this bike doesn't seem very intimidating, especially after hearing that the forks are (most likely) good, and that the engine still runs.

If I did buy this bike, I'm going to try and convert it into a street fighter...though the fairing actually doesn't look too bad (to my eyes) and it seems like I could just grind down the top to make it seem "decent." If I don't get used to the clipons after just one ride, I'm going to try to source a triple tree that'll work with the forks that will accommodate normal handlebars, or at least find a way to mount normal handlebars to the current triple.

It'd either be an around town/backroad/hooligan bike, a track bike, or hell if I'm feeling really brave, maybe I'll convert it to a sports tourer (after putting on normal handlebars at least).

My only riding experience now is about 15,000 miles on my Honda CX500 (only had it for a year though, so I'm a pretty high mileage rider) but I'm unsure of what a transition to something with such a large powerplant from my CX would be like. I'm also unsure of how to work on something so modern. I assume that it isn't quite as easy as working on an old carbureted V-twin, but I also assume that it isn't too hard to learn, especially since it's a Honda.

So, thoughts? If the price is right, I'll snag the thing up...even if I hate it or I'm not willing to convert it to any of my grand ideas, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to change out the plastics and resell it.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,043
I wouldnt touch it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
$50...and that's being generous.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
King_Panther13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
So I take it that modern bikes don't crash as well as older bikes then? :(

Either way, if it's going for cheap enough, I'm probably going to snag it. Even if the frame is too damaged to be worth it, if the forks are in good condition I can slap them on my CX500, which is a rather common mod.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I'd say it's a safe bet the forks are bent. That bike somehow slid on its back, and you can see some nice rash on the ignition, which is attached to the triple tree, which holds the...wait for it...forks. I'm guessing there was a torque moment exerted on the forks in the slide through the triple tree.

Can you fix it up? Sure, you can replace anything and everything. But without giving it a thorough once-over, why take the risk? Find a lightly rashed bike on your local craigslist and use that as your project. Stay away from this one...there are thousand$ of reasons to stay away from this particular bike.
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
abigweasel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Possibly another problem would be the steering head getting out of round. Those aluminum frames are a little more fragile and a massive jolt can screw up the steering head-trashing the frame. Bike won't handle right no matter what fancy forks get slapped on.

If you get the bike up on the stand so the weight's off the forks you can check with some tugging. It's kinda like buying an old race bike. Frame, check...suspension, check...everything else is junk.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide
abigweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I wouldnt touch it.

I think this is your best advice yet.

Luck,Ed