ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low
 
ElusivePedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oddometer: 2,584
Panhandle Old Guys

Lower Alabama to Tallahassee.

Watch this idea sink like a stone!

I ain't gonna never go too fast again! (..for the most part ;-)

Gonna take more pictures. Gonna maybe bring my fishin pole. Gonna stop to rest, eat, drink, jaw jack, and pee more often. Gonna walk up and down any streams or rivers encountered to study them a bit more carefully. Gonna ride at a pace where jeans, helmet, gloves, work boots, and a t-shirt will be "geared up".

Not gonna rush. Not gonna care how cool or fast my bike is. Not gonna ride in a pack of 20 & 30 & 40 somebodys that are going to go black diamond. I'll stick to the intermediate slopes - thanks.

If it's work - I'll pass. I do that 5 days a week.

Where's my aleve and geritol?



But hey - something stupid is always an option! (How's that for a Friday eve sorta pui? LOL)

Never forget:

__________________
Pete
Wet Compass & Depends
"Frank" - '89 XL600V Transalp
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix

ElusivePedro screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 10:16 AM
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
Old Rider Ride

Well let me be the second old guy to post.

I have been "tappering off" for several years now and getting to the point where I like Pete's idea. We need to get together more often and take some pictures and stuff.

Here's an idea. We can take a beast ride and see how FEW miles we can cover in three hours.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr
 
Dr.Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 9,740
I'll post too...

You know it will be harder to find WOOYFFWI if y'all start covering less miles.
__________________
Stay half-assed, my friends. -- Mike West

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,771
If I ride fast and crash a lot we'll cover tha same amout of ground
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
ScottFla
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Oddometer: 166
I guess I'm an old guy cause that sounds like a good idea...
ScottFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 5,733
What Bro Petey has touched on, and Maestro Vic knows, is the beauty of Middle Path.

Fast Burn is good and proper.

But there is More, in Less.

And 'old guys'?? Nah Some of the greatest less-is-more riders you'll ever meet are Dallas and Phaedrus, whose ages added together are about my age. And these are some of the most talented/spirited riders i've known

Picture stops? Breaks to shoot the shit? Throttle joy here and there in sub race-pace enviros? That's pretty much how the PAR was founded in the first place

Good onya Pete. I think you just launched a PAR Subsection 2. Needed
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,097


A Democrat?




Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court View Post
Lower Alabama to Tallahassee.

Watch this idea sink like a stone!

I ain't gonna never go too fast again! (..for the most part ;-)

Gonna take more pictures. Gonna maybe bring my fishin pole. Gonna stop to rest, eat, drink, jaw jack, and pee more often. Gonna walk up and down any streams or rivers encountered to study them a bit more carefully. Gonna ride at a pace where jeans, helmet, gloves, work boots, and a t-shirt will be "geared up".

Not gonna rush. Not gonna care how cool or fast my bike is. Not gonna ride in a pack of 20 & 30 & 40 somebodys that are going to go black diamond. I'll stick to the intermediate slopes - thanks.

If it's work - I'll pass. I do that 5 days a week.

Where's my aleve and geritol?



But hey - something stupid is always an option! (How's that for a Friday eve sorta pui? LOL)
I like it. Something different from ass hauling all the time. Way to go Pete!

IN!
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 5,733
Truth, men?

Fast-burn volume is killing EG range west of SR85.

Jackson Guard loves our permit money, which is why EG green zone has not been shut down yet. But look at the pits and anything resembling a pit west of SR87: the jeep FF's got that cabled off for us handily in 2009. Think it stops there?

Back in the day we used to intentionally quit riding the 'back trail' off of 87 for a couple months b/c of the erosion we were doing. To let rain and wind do the restoration jazz.

With EG being used as a de facto race course now that mindfulness has gone the fuck away.

I love that land even more than i love motorcycles, which is saying something

Take care damned good care of our Treasure, men
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #10
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,771
That is the truth Mug. Look at how beat up the trails in our OHV area are constantly- woops, sand, burms in each turn. I know they will not allow it to happen there.... Our $75 annual FEE is used to work on those ~56 miles of trails from time to time. Probably not something that's going to happen on EG- nor would you want it to.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Why did they support the CSA, Tony?

After 1835, Treaty of New Echota, etc.

Why did they support the CSA? What did the museum say?
That was a dirty deal one of the Cherokee did to their own and a section of the Museum has plenty to say about that.

For accuracy regarding their part in the Civil War, some google research will be required by you.
Here is but one explination:

http://www.civilwarhome.com/watiebio.htm
The museum is laid out in a time line of Cherokee heritage and the people that settled the Appalachians beginning 11,000 years ago (the Paleo Period).
Now thats some some "Old" fer ya's!

I recommend a visit if in the area and time allows.
http://www.cherokeemuseum.org/
Otherwise, another great thing about the internet is the ability to research without leaving your living room.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable
 
ineptizoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Underachievement Nexus of the Universe
Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
That was a dirty deal one of the Cherokee did to their own and a section of the Museum has plenty to say about that.

For accuracy regarding their part in the Civil War, some google research will be required by you.
Here is but one explination:

http://www.civilwarhome.com/watiebio.htm
The museum is laid out in a time line of Cherokee heritage and the people that settled the Appalachians beginning 11,000 years ago (the Paleo Period).
Now thats some some "Old" fer ya's!

I recommend a visit if in the area and time allows.
http://www.cherokeemuseum.org/
Otherwise, another great thing about the internet is the ability to research without leaving your living room.
Spent several hours in the Cherokee museum 10 yrs ago, reckon I'm due for another visit. Theirs is a sad story, and every American needs to hear it. People don't like sad stories though, even if they're true. (Especially if they're true.)

As far as their participation in the War Between the States, I like Lone Wati's explanation the best. We thought about it for a long time, "endeavor to persevere."And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. Yeah I know it's just some dialog from a fictional movie, but there's truth in it. Listen to Lone Watie's story of what happened to his family, and Ten Bears' reasoning behind his disdain for the "forked tongues" in the government, for examples.
__________________
*FAIL*

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
Smoky Mountain Trip

My wife and I are planning a trip up there this July 4th week. Staying in cabins in NC. No bikes involved. Can I take the Caddy on the Dragon? That is a serious question as I have never been to that area.

I will certainly spend some time at the museum and I undertstand they have a casino there also.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable
 
ineptizoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Underachievement Nexus of the Universe
Oddometer: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Can I take the Caddy on the Dragon? That is a serious question as I have never been to that area.
Yessir, the Dragon is a U.S. Highway, and you can drive just about anything on it, although tractor-trailers are most certainly NOT welcome, as the turns are just too tight for them. The hardcore speedfreaks make sure they get a good run by sitting at either Deal's Gap MC Resort at the south end or the overlook at the north end of the Dragon, and making sure cars and Harleys get several minutes' worth of a headstart before they wheelie off on a fast burn

You'll enjoy running the Dragon, even in a Caddy
__________________
*FAIL*

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip up there this July 4th week. Staying in cabins in NC. No bikes involved. Can I take the Caddy on the Dragon? That is a serious question as I have never been to that area.

I will certainly spend some time at the museum and I undertstand they have a casino there also.

Agree.
Vic, be on the lookout for Killboy and other photographers on the Dragon. Give him the ADV salute or somethin crazy and let us know what day you were there. I'll look-up the picture that he'll make of you that day and I'll post a link to it here.

Diann and I were up last year and she drove her Prius on the Dragon. She was thrilled to drive it.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014