User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Strollin Southern Utah 2up on the 950

I have read tons of ride reports but never posted one so here goes my first contrabution. wife and i decided to ride 5 days in southern utah for our 21st aniverssery, cool things is this was her idea. not bad huh i guees i better keep her.

So the trips starts in Layton Utah with the bike overloaded with clothes and riding gear for 2 and camp gear for a few days of backountry.

warp9man screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 02:46 PM
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

just before Moab we had our first flat, total of 2 we would have on this trip.

the wife was a good sport, i had her trained at the end of this ride, she would pull my side cowling and grab the spare tubes while i was pulling the wheel. she would have it all buttoned up by the time i had the wheel on, new tube installed and the compressor topping off the tire. we were like a nascar team

first nights stop Bluff Utah and for her a required motel stop after our 300 plus that day.

next morning starts a little rough as we have a hard time finding Butler wash road, our first dirt road. For those who have rode it try not to laugh i now know its only 3 miles outside of town ha-ha.

Butler Wash Road

about 30 miles down the road i wreck in the only real section of sand on Butler, with the Katoom loaded up with gear and 2 people she really HATES the sand. only wreck of the trip so im happy and so is the wife

after the wife landed in the only sticker patch on the trail she decided to walk the short section of sand till i got the overburdened pig to hard pack. heres the walk of shame.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

more pics of Butler, the whole time your paralleing a small stream with white rock cliffs in the distance to the left and sanstone red rock to your right. pretty cool way to start the ride and hey with the wreck out of the way i was feeling pretty good.

on a side note i highly recommend wrecking on the first day of the ride, it can only get better from there ha-ha

after being on Butler for awhile we come out onto I95 and turn west, 95 is open range so becareful

on 95 there was 3 stops we wer planning,

1st stop Butler Wash indian ruins, damn cool and a short hike from the parking lot.

2nd stop: Mule Canyon Ruins...pretty cool cause there right off the road and you can get right up to them.

3rd stop: Natural Bridges state park

plenty of scenic pullouts and for the adventurous you can hike down in the wash bottms for 8 miles. I wasnt feeling the hike in the moto boots.

yup more ruins, but there down in the wash and only accessed by an 8 mile hike.

if you look you can see the natural bridge

back on 95 we head west to catch out turn south on 276 to halls crossing.

while on 276 its starts out pretty desolate but later drops you into a little canyon. while on 276 the wife slaps me in the head and yells STOP! shit i thought something was wrong, she says i think i seen inrian ruins turn around. so like the obediant husband i am i turn around and we find this little Gem. i think it often gets overlooked over as trees hide it from plain sight.

warp9man screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 05:42 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

After our Ruins we get back on 276 heading for Halls Crossing. Halls Crossing is basicly the marina area and has the ferry that takes you accross Lake Powell and continues you on 276 on the other side of the lake. Bikes are $15 bucks and cars are $25. Also check the ferry schedule. Day we got there (at 2:30pm) the last ferry was at 3pm.

waitng for departure

coming into Bullfrog our continuation of hwy 276, i made a huge mistake. We went outside the toll booths and i turned around to come back into Bullfrog to topoff on gas before turning off onto Burr Trail. Damn ranger charged me another $7 to come back into Bullfrog when he watched me go out and turn around right in front of his toll booth That turned out to be an expensive gas stop so learn from my mistake... get gas in Bullfrog before you continue.

shortly outside of bullfrog on 276 we turn for Burr Trail

Burr Trails starts as a paved road, becareful as there is a wash you have drop into for a breif moment while at the begining of the road. the pavment drops 10 feet into sand and brings you up to pavment all within 40 feet. this is where i got the 2nd flat of the trip, to me it looks like there use to be a bridge but the water washed it away years ago and the just paved down the wash and concreted the bottom. i hit it at speed and the tube suffred a pinch flat.

Ok maybe its not that bad but I did bottom the suspension out in the bottom of the wash, I was doing a good 35-40 mph because there was sand in the bottom and I wanted to cruise on thru. it was 1000 feet after this i got the second flat.

Burr trail has to be one of the most scenic roads i have ever been on. i think its a total of 65 miles and drops you into boulder. beginging and end are paved with the middle being easily travled dirt with the infamous burr trail switchbacks (in captial reef state park) in the middle taking you to the mesa top. awsome stuff

on Burr Trail and inside edge of Capitol Reef state park

Burr Trail Switch backs

warp9man screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 07:11 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

at the end Burr Trail we camped at Deer Creek Campground. Awesome little spot but bring the bug spray as the Mosquitos were killer. (sorry no pics)

In the morning we roll into Boulder and catch breakfast at the Burr Trail resturant, You cant miss it. A bit pricey but the food was good. From there we hit Hells Backbone road, an early road from Boulder to Escalante

top of Hells Backbone

on Hells Backbone we stop at Posey Lake, old stomping grounds for the wife.

after the cold night in the sleeping bags at Deer Creek the wife decided we needed a motel so we rolled into Escalante and stayed at the Prospector inn, it was a nice place and had a mini fridge and Microwave for $66 a night plus tax. This became home base for the next few nights while we explored the region. The hotel had a resturant behind it with massive portions of biscuts n Gravy .....mmmmm.

Escalante is a cool hip little town with several places to eat and everything other than the well stocked gas station closes around 8pm so eat early or its corndogs in the microwave.

While we were getting gas and food at the gas station a guy rolled up on an old Harley. He called himself the Desert Doctor, he runs a small bike shop in Escalante and stocks tires for big duallies and cruisers. nice guy.

Next morning headed to Calf Creek to hike to the Lower water falls.
Its a round trip 5.5 mile hike from the parking lot but its worth it. How many times have you seen and impressive waterfall in the desert?

road to the falls

Lower Calf Creek Falls

warp9man screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 08:06 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

after our Hike at Calf creek we were wiped out, yeah i know 6 miles isnt all that far but in the heat and walking in the sand we were spent. we rode back into Escalante and had Pizza at Escalante outfitters, a little shop that will sell you a camelback and dinner all in one spot. good food and great service. the cashier has intimate knoledge of the area and can help you plan some cool outings.

after some well deserved sleep the next mornings ride was just outside of escalante.

5 miles outside of Escalent is Hole in the rock road, 120 miles round trip of washboard dirt road. On this road we stopped at Devils Garden. tons of cool rock formations

after checking out devils garden we get back on hole n the rock road and cruise another 25 miles to off Dry fork road where we hiked a couple of slot canyons, damn cool stuff.

Bottom of the canyon yeilds access to 3 slot canyons

Hiking in the sand sucks but its worth it when we get to the slots.

Entrance to Spooky Slot

warp9man screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 08:12 PM
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Cool Indian Ruins

2nd stop: Mule Canyon Ruins...pretty cool cause there right off the road and you can get right up to them.

Hey Warp9man -- Really like this pic of the Indian Ruins, nice and accessible. Good motivation to get out and ride. Thanks!!!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Great RR !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

oil leak

ok so the oil leak turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit thats on the front cylinder just under the carbs. looks like the wire lead that goes to it vibrated to much and broke the plastic out of the metal housing causing the leak.

its only a $7 part but keeping the wire from bouncing around im sure would have prevented it.

when i put the new part in i zip tyed the wire down so it couldnt bounce around to much.

did i mention hole in the rock is 120 miles of pretty good washboards
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
My wife and I did a lot of the same ride you did and also hiked to Calf Creek Falls. We loved that trip and look forward to going back. Nice report and thanks for posting.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
good

Nice report. I love southern Utah!
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, the oil pressure sender went out on my 950 too. What a PITA to get to.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950 View Post
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, the oil pressure sender went out on my 950 too. What a PITA to get to.
Hey Riceless , yup a real PITA!

just glad it wasnt something more serious