User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
Thumb 2012 HD Dyna Switchback

There, at least the thread is started, they're gonna sell a lot of these.

Downsides at least for me, single disc front brake and the dresser look front forks are basically a parts bin swap from the FL series, therefore not based on the Dyna's oversized 49mm fork tubes.

Upsides, numerous, one of the smartest moves HD has made in years.
Looks, pricing, weight loss over existing dressers, yadda, yadda...

I'll leave it up to the tech savy ADV inmates, to download the photos etc...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
This is pretty much what I had turned my 07 wideglide into by the time I sold it. I agree it seems to be a good move. Kinda like the heritage of the dyna line now, except it strips down easier.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike. Then, on the other hand I don't think it will appeal to the guys who value looks over function either. It could end up like my FXDX, one of the better all around bikes Harley makes that doesn't sell.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike. Then, on the other hand I don't think it will appeal to the guys who value looks over function either. It could end up like my FXDX, one of the better all around bikes Harley makes that doesn't sell.
I tend to agree with you on this one. I looked at one over the weekend and like it a lot - for a smaller rider like myself (5'8", 145) it's perfect; not as bulky as an FL but more tour worthy than the other current Dynas. I always liked the Dyna convertibles and FXRT, though, and I don't think they sold a ton of those.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
My only wish is for mid-pegs instead of the boards, wonder if it can be converted...
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Looks like a 1999 Victory or my 2009 Yamaha.

I like how the boards are up high for cornering clearance, but that would put my knees up to the handlebars.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike.
Trunk should be easy with all the sissy bar mount kits and various styles of trunks/TourPaks available. Might not be factory, but probably easier than fitting a trunk to a random sport-bike.

And I'm not sure the target demographic is long-distance tourers. They'll buy the touring bikes. I see this appealing to guys that want a commuter that's capable for weekend escapes from the wife/kids. It has enough engine and other options that it will appeal to many buyers over a Sportster and priced less than the big touring bikes, so it keeps them at the HD dealer (instead of walking across to the YamaSakionda shop).
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 861
This is what I call an "Aspiration Bike". It is a replacement, price wise, for the Electra Glide Standard they used to sell. It's a bagger for a guy who can't afford a Road King. They have done everything they can do to make the Dyna look like a Road King, even the exhaust pipes are similar.

When you look at it that way, it makes sense in the context of it's price point. That being said, I don't like the front end. Who ever heard of a Dyna with an FL fork? Weird. Looks better in person though; saw one at a dealer the other day.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
Who ever heard of a Dyna with an FL fork? Weird.
Who ever heard of an FL with a Sportster fork? Weird!

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I went to the local dealership to look at the Switchback...... my short legs don't permit my feet to reach the controls.... atall.

But they have a 2010 XR1200 that they want to sell me, asking "$9,995" ....... quick to add that they need to get rid of the bike to get future allocations. I think I've read that the '09 & '10 can be had for as little as $9,000.

All this while riding my Bandit 1250 with it's new Spencer seat mod..... pretty comfortable! Oh..... and the guy told me to strip my 1250 of everything I put on it, sell it all myself, and he'll give me as much money as he can so get rid of that XR Sportie.......
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Dyna

The new Dyna looks sweet and with the 103 engine! I haven't seen one in person yet. Now they just need to bring back the FXDX!
NHADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
our dealer has a red one in stock that i looked at this morning. i liked it better than i thought i would (and i thought i was going to like it). im 5'7", 30" inseam, and it was easy for me to flat foot. it really balances well ... even easy to take off the stand. i realize the weight difference isn't tremendous, but it "feels" much smaller than a road king to me. it even feels a little smaller than a heritage softail. very comfortable ergos for my frame, i feel like i could ride on that thing for hours. i didn't have any problem reaching the forward controls, although i usually prefer the mids on a dyna.

i think given the weight and the 103ci engine, it should have pretty decent scoot for a harley.

just my $.02. i'd like to own one when funds allow.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
2 comments on double disks so far?
Really people? It's common to have single disks up front. You can argue that dual disks just add weight and dont supply any more stopping power than a good single. I wouldn't let a trivial thing like that deter me from buying any bike.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
Really people? It's common to have single disks up front. You can argue that dual disks just add weight and dont supply any more stopping power than a good single. I wouldn't let a trivial thing like that deter me from buying any bike.
And I could argue that the dual disks on my Dyna do a great job of slowing that thing down in a hurry.

The switchback has several features I wish my bike had... Quick detach hard bags instead of soft bags, a quick detach windshield and, as I stated before, more cubes and EFI. But I'd like to see dual disks because I've got 'em and I like 'em.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker though.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
If you ride like a slug then dual rotors are not that important. If you ride in a more spirited fashion then the dual front brakes are indeed very important and not "trivial" as you seem to be asserting..
Since when are brakes on a motorcycle trivial?

The new Switchback should have two IMO. That and the floorboards are the only thing wrong about the bike.

The Fat Bob has dual floating rotors and is the best Cruiser that Harley makes. (again IMO)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 12:17 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote