ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
hahnelw OP
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
Australian Garmin Rhino

Just spotted an Australian spec Garmin Rhino in the Johnny Appleseed site. This is a combination GPS and 5w UHF radio. It has previously been an import, which was not compliant for Australia.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/

Cheers

WH
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town

hahnelw screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 06:07 PM
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
that is excellent, it was never meant to happen ! good price to, thanx for posting
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
hahnelw OP
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
A bit disappointed myself. Just bought a uniden 5w radio before I saw it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
that is excellent, it was never meant to happen ! good price to, thanx for posting
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,536
If anyone shells out the coin for one of these in Aust I would be very keen to speak with them.

Looks like the are the goods.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,852
Question

Great idea, just a bit disappointing..
Only 22 Channels, where as the UHF CB regulations are now allowing up to 80 chans. We could be lucky and this is a US only spec and we get an AU spec one.

Having said that, I too would be interested to hear if anyone has actually bought one and how they go.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,162
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,821
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=82798

Physical & Performance:
Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 6.0 x 19.0 x 4.5 cm
Display size, WxH: 3.6 x 5.5 cm; 6.6cm diag
Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels
Display type: transflective, 65-K colour TFT
Weight: 320 g with battery pack
Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
Battery life: 14 hours (up to 18 hours with optional AA battery pack)
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible

Maps & Memory:
Basemap: yes
Preloaded maps: no
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 1.7 GB
Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000
Routes: 200
Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Features & Benefits:
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes
Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)
Barometric altimeter: yes
Camera: no
Picture viewer: yes
Unit-to-unit transfer and ANT+™ compatible: yes
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Area calculation: yes

Other:
Frequency band: UHF
Channels: 80
Squelch codes: 38 (CTCSS); 83 (DCS)
Transmit power: 0 - 5 watts
Range: Up to 2 miles over FRS; up to 20 miles over GMRS (US); up to 13 km over GMRS (Canada)
VOX (voice activation): yes - this will do the job: http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com...2500&viewall=1
Location reporting (send and receive GPS positions): yes
Vibration alert: yes
NOAA weather radio: no

ACCESSORIES:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=82798

Mounts:

Cables:

Batteries:

Lanyards, Straps, Holsters and Clips:

Other: (headset with boom mic)

On The Trail Maps:

Other: (Chirp)
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 07:55 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
abonko
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Close, but no cigar.

I took a look at one yesterday. I was so excited by the potential of this device. Unfortunately, it was missing two key features I would need in my setup.
  1. No Bluetooth, so it won't connect to my phone or my current helmet headset like my Zumo does.
  2. No PTT button accessory, allowing it to be mounted on the handlebar for easy thumb access while riding. (Having to stop to talk every time would get annoying.)
I have no doubt it will be a great unit for some. But I'm picky in the setup I'm looking for. :)
abonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

yeh but it does have a 2.5 or 3.5 audio plug for a headset .

so i can still use my firefox vanquish throat mic http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com...hroat-Mic.html

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 07:48 PM
Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by abonko View Post
I took a look at one yesterday. I was so excited by the potential of this device. Unfortunately, it was missing two key features I would need in my setup.
  1. No Bluetooth, so it won't connect to my phone or my current helmet headset like my Zumo does.
  2. No PTT button accessory, allowing it to be mounted on the handlebar for easy thumb access while riding. (Having to stop to talk every time would get annoying.)
I have no doubt it will be a great unit for some. But I'm picky in the setup I'm looking for. :)
Like the earlier 520 this should be able to be setup with an Autocomm style unit that also connects to your phone and you can hook up a PTT lead as well. Not sure if it is DMME but one of the intercom sellers sells a bluetooth setup that plugs into your UHF making it a Bluetooth unit I think>

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

correct it will run a throat mic / head set with a ptt as high lighted in my post 7
MY07 950 SER
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 835
Loading Maps on a Rino

Happy Snapper got a current Rino and came round the other day to show it off, and load some maps on my Windows PC as he's a Mac fan.

After a bit of trial and error, using Mapsource, we established that it can load Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia. The only trick appears to be loading them so that they can be selected individually.

We're used to the GPSMap60 map selection method, where different map sets are readily selectable on the unit.

When we selected Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, all looked fine - could select/deselect the T4A maps. When we then loaded Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, there was only one map set to select/deselect and it appears the map set displayed was the highest priority in that set (can't remember which - think it was T4A).

After a bit of experimentation and looking at the onboard SD card contents, it appears that the default compiled image file on the unit is overwritten by the most recent transfer from the PC. We worked around this by:
- transferring T4A,
- renaming the standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to T4A.whateversuffixIforget
- transferring Shonky Maps
- renaming the new standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to ShonkyMaps.whateversuffixIforget

[edit - default map file is gmapsupp.img]

Happy can now select Shonky Maps or Tracks4Australia individually and pick the most appropriate map set for his location.

I hope this saves other Rino user's some frustration.

Goosefeather screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 02:21 AM
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
Happy Snapper got a current Rino and came round the other day to show it off, and load some maps on my Windows PC as he's a Mac fan.

After a bit of trial and error, using Mapsource, we established that it can load Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia. The only trick appears to be loading them so that they can be selected individually.

We're used to the GPSMap60 map selection method, where different map sets are readily selectable on the unit.

When we selected Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, all looked fine - could select/deselect the T4A maps. When we then loaded Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, there was only one map set to select/deselect and it appears the map set displayed was the highest priority in that set (can't remember which - think it was T4A).

After a bit of experimentation and looking at the onboard SD card contents, it appears that the default compiled image file on the unit is overwritten by the most recent transfer from the PC. We worked around this by:
- transferring T4A,
- renaming the standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to T4A.whateversuffixIforget
- renaming the new standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to ShonkyMaps.whateversuffixIforget

Happy can now select Shonky Maps or Tracks4Australia individually and pick the most appropriate map set for his location.

Nice one. Just ran into this same problem. Cheers.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post

- transferring T4A,

[edit - default map file is gmapsupp.img]

I loaded multiple maps as well, just load each individually, then go into the unit and rename the gmapsupp.img file you just created by loading the map to gmapsuppshonky.img for example, then load tracks for australia and then rename that gmapsupptracks.img etc. I have City Navigator, Tracks for Australia, Oztopo 2.1b, Shonky Maps, and the standard basemap all loaded to it now and can select them individually.

Wilmo

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #15
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnelw View Post
Just spotted an Australian spec Garmin Rhino in the Johnny Appleseed site. This is a combination GPS and 5w UHF radio. It has previously been an import, which was not compliant for Australia.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/

Cheers

WH
The previous Rino 520 was brought to Austarlia by Garmin and is / was compliant (40 CH) for Australia as I had one and used it on my Cape York trip in 2008, 2 mates also had them on the trip and the ability to locate the other Rino users came in handy a couple of times.

The new unit now has a better and easier method of UHF chanel selection as this was cumbersome on the 520 and also the new unit has 80 chanels and this is why they took longer to arrive in Aust than first thought because the Govt changed the number of chanels allowed so Garmin held back to send the latest units.
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote