ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Jdubb OP
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 143
NE Iowa gravel Route R

R was started in May, but took a couple trys to get it all. Maybe a little mud. As with the others it is rolling hills with little used country roads that have sweeping corners. There are a couple Class B Roads, but not something that is challenging, unless it is very wet. There is one Class B I have gone around (Harvester). There is a picture of a bit of mud there Doyle & I encountered. This is the longest route and should require about 8 hours to complete. It can be ridden with all sizes. Take your lunch as there are limited places to eat outside of the gas stops. If you get a chance stop in Elkader downtown across from the gas station and get a Mit Burger. They are first class. It is a little trailer downtown and only open during the summer. Also some of the areas you will ride through are Amish so watch out for their buggies. Pic's here
https://picasaweb.google.com/1184264...eat=directlink
Attached Files
File Type: gpx NE Iowa published route R01.gpx (313.4 KB, 256 views)

Jdubb screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 08:09 PM
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Nice trail,my wife suggested Iowa to retire too (in Michigan now) so I stumbled on this and was enjoying the rural picks!
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Rethy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Retire in Iowa???

Now thats funny. If you are a motorcyclist this is one of the worst states to live in. You can run some gravel roads and along the Missisipi for a while but they get old relatively quickly. Utah, Colorado, Nevada northern Arizona have much more to offer a motorcyclist. But if your into watching corn grow come on down. Me I can't wait to retire so I can get out of Iowa hehe.
Rethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethy View Post
Now thats funny. If you are a motorcyclist this is one of the worst states to live in. You can run some gravel roads and along the Missisipi for a while but they get old relatively quickly. Utah, Colorado, Nevada northern Arizona have much more to offer a motorcyclist. But if your into watching corn grow come on down. Me I can't wait to retire so I can get out of Iowa hehe.
we're still in the discussion stage for the next couple years!!! Thanks for the heads up
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
TrdLtly
TreadLightly

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Nice trail,my wife suggested Iowa to retire too (in Michigan now) so I stumbled on this and was enjoying the rural picks!
While there are better states to live in if you want to ride off road I am not sure they are worth living in. We have lived in Colorado, New Mexico, California (northern and southern), Utah, Oregon, and now we are in Iowa. Every state has it's drawbacks. The expense of living in the other states is not worth it to us. Besides taxes, the housing prices alone are reason enough not to move back. The house we bought in NE IA would cost us ~$100k more in CO, ~$30k more in NM, forget CA, ~$50k more in UT, and ~$50k more in OR. Great places to VISIT, but we won't move back.

My suggestion: Retire in NE Iowa (NE Iowa is covered in trees and hills). Buy a Travel Trailer or 5th Wheel Trailer and travel. Works great for us.
Need: 5.8 gal Tank (sell me yours?) - Sutton Oil Cooler
If you can't get behind our Troops, then get in front of them!
TrdLtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
torgo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Leaving to!!

In 5 years when the kid graduates I'm out of here. AZ or NV for me. Wife can come along or stay, no matter to me.

Riding in IA SUCKS!!!! Even South Dakota is better.

torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
DeadEnd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I know that area well. OP rode by our old farm. Literally right past the lane.

Small world.
DeadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote