User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
ButtonPushingMonkey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
tiger 800xc crash bars

I am getting ready to bend up a set of crash bars to protect the engine, tank and radiator and was hoping to get some of you with bars to post up pics of your installed bars to help knock the cobwebs loose so I can get started.

If you can include the diameter of the tubing and what you think could be improved that would be cool. Not a vendor, just a guy with a bender wasting away in the garage

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 08:10 PM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
There are great pics of the Motech on the Twisted Throttle website. I did a good bit of looking and those are what I went with. The only others that provided similar coverage were the Hebco's and they consisted of two parts per side and were significantly more complex for no increase in protection.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
One of the best options for crash bars is the Holan bars. They go for 250 bucks and protect engine and sides of radiator.

If you already have the stock crash bars then adding a Touratech upper crash bar/radiator guard will accomplish the same thing. They go for 196 bucks and look pretty cool in conjunction with the stock crash bar.

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
This is a new product from Altrider. They look really beafy (1" stainless tubing). They are not cheap, though.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...0xc/pcid/703-3
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
One of the best options for crash bars is the Holan bars. They go for 250 bucks and protect engine and sides of radiator.

If you already have the stock crash bars then adding a Touratech upper crash bar/radiator guard will accomplish the same thing. They go for 196 bucks and look pretty cool in conjunction with the stock crash bar.

Haha, I just noticed you have highway pegs on your Tiger.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Haha, I just noticed you have highway pegs on your Tiger.
It's my tiger on photo with Touratech bars. And yes - I did experiment with highway pegs (no success thou). Because I do not take rides that are less than 1000 miles anymore and have limited vacation, e.g. have to use high speed highways in transit in Europe to get to country I want to ride back roads in (Alps, Dolomites, Scotland, Morocco, Norway etc. etc.). What's wrong with that?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Rocks58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Crash bar mount to motor vs frame

So as I consider what crash bars to bolt on I noticed there are bars that attach only to the motor or ones that attach to motor and frame. The ones that attach only to the motor worry me in that they seem to concentrate the impact of a fall to two or three points on the motor. On the other hand the combo motor/frame mount bars seem like they would do a better job of transferring the energy of impact away from the motor and into the frame. Any thoughts on either configuration?
Rocks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
It's my tiger on photo with Touratech bars. And yes - I did experiment with highway pegs (no success thou). Because I do not take rides that are less than 1000 miles anymore and have limited vacation, e.g. have to use high speed highways in transit in Europe to get to country I want to ride back roads in (Alps, Dolomites, Scotland, Morocco, Norway etc. etc.). What's wrong with that?
Nuthin

Simple minds, simple pleasures............
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
panhead_pete
Banned

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post

This looks like it offers the most protection out of the lot although seeing the damage to those engines any of the bars that mount near the front of the engine look like they may be problematic in a crash.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
panhead_pete
Banned

Oddometer: 1,021
Anyone here running the Holan Pro's and tested them?
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Anyone here running the Holan Pro's and tested them?
I have the Holans and haven't put them through as extreme paces as others have in this thread, but for the amount of abuse I have subjected them to, they've held up fine.

The SW Motech debacle that's pictured above seems like it is a pretty low percentage incident, but I believe the Holans would have fared better in that situation. For one, they hug the bodywork more closely so there would be less chance of a tree getting trapped between. And for two, the cross over part in the front is bolted directly together, instead of a sleeve joining the two pieces. That said, I hope I never have to put my theory to the test!
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Yani
b00b

Oddometer: 59
I was on that ride with econwatch when the above happened. Right behind him actually and I can tell you without a doubt if those sw motech bars weren't on that bike econwatch would have been walking with a limp for the rest of his life. He hit that tree that hard. That being said I have the same crash bars on my XC and have never felt the level of confidence in them that I did before I saw that. The front sleeve and side tabs are just a bad design imho. To me the Altrider bars econwatch put on his new XC are a way better solution. If I hadn't dumped so much cash on the motech bars already and the Altriders weren't so expensive, I'd probably do the swap. May do it anyway this winter.

That rug really tied the room together
Yani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
How beefy are bars makes no difference, it is mount system that matters.
Setup from ALT have same kind of mount as Hepco bars. And those are known to break cylinder wall with top mount. Generally - on those bars mount system is totally inadequate for this tubing.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Setup from ALT have same kind of mount as Hepco bars. And those are known to break cylinder wall with top mount. Generally - on those bars mount system is totally inadequate for this tubing.
They also leave the engine exposed. Poor design over all i think. Not ridiculous like Happy Trails but they could have done better.

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
According to Altrider's webpage:

"100% made in the USA, these Tiger bars utilize the strongest mounting points the bike has to offer. Like all AltRider engineered crash bars, these will fit seamlessly without any grinding or bending on your part. Unlike other crash bars, we don’t use flanges or weak tabs and are not hung, they’re actually mounted."

Of course what they claim in their ad may not be absolutely correct.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote