Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Question After the Uly...who's changed to something different and is happy with it?

Ok, I think I'm coming to the end of my 'cool bike with personality' Buell experiment. My 07 grenaded at 28K miles, but being a romantic, I picked up a used 08 last spring. The 08, if you know these bikes, was supposed to be improved in lots of ways. Well, the damn thing stranded me in Polson, MT on the fourth day of a 6 day ride. They're still trying to determine which of the known gremlims (ECM, Chaffed fuel pump wires, etc.) are affecting the bike. I had a girlfriend like this in college, she was gorgeous and mercurial and fun to ride, but I dropped her because I knew eventually it would end badly.

So, it's time to think about what the next bike is, and I'd be grateful for any ex Uly riders to chime in.

When I bought the Uly, I was living in Utah, and did a lot of dirt road rides with it. My riding buddies had the typical big KTM 990s, BMW R1200GS, BMW F800GS etc. Now that I'm living in WA, I don't have quite the same riding, and spend more time on the street. I have a Harley Heritage, (which is what I SHOULD have taken on the trip) so I don't really need a cruiser. I also have a Triumph Scrambler which I putz around on and take up Forest Service roads if I'm looking for some gravel etc. So when I think about it, I really want a bike that has the spirit of the Uly, the upright riding position (hey, I'm 55) handles great, can be used for long rides, and good power.

My riding pal insists I need a R1200GS, but frankly, I find the telelever front end sort of weird, and now that I'm not in Utah, I don't know if I need that kind of tractor. But I'm open.

Another thought that's occurred to me is the Tiger. Yeah, I know everyone loves the 800 but I think the 1050 might be closer to the Uly in seat position and power.

I've looked at but have not ridden the Aprillia Dorsoduro. It looks kind of sharp, but I know nothing about it.

Finally, I'm thinking very hard about used. I'm not poor, but I am sorta cheap.

So I know that's sprt of a generic set of criteria and I know it's been asked a hundred times before, but whaddya think?

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
I've ridden the ULY and disliked the way it feels off road but on road it is nice sitting up and feels like a DS bike. I like the different technologies combined in the ULY. Power was fair, both my 950 KTM and more so the Vstrom were easily faster but the ULY felt torque every where. I never succumbed to a ULY but if they had put that newer BUEL water cooled motor in something like it I might have. I now have a Dorsoduro and find it the most fun on road of any bike I have owned (60 +-). I wouldn't recommend it though as stopping for gas every 80-110 miles stinks, even if your pouring what you brought into the 3 gallon tank. Other than that you might really like the 1200 DD but I don't care about the upper end of power so much any more, at least as much as I care about handling. The 1200DD should present you with both. I would think you would really get off on your Scrambler though since it serves the same general utility, albeit with little or no power to spare. I love the look of the Triumph 1050 but after the Vstrom 1000 I don't know if there is any reason to pay more for the same utility. A friend just sold his ULY when his Yamaha Tenere arrived and after riding the Tenere It feels a lot like the Vstrom (somewhat bland) except it has better off road manners and wider handle bars.
Oh yea! the BMW front end? What were they thinking???
Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I had a girlfriend like this in college, she was gorgeous and mercurial and fun to ride, but I dropped her because I knew eventually it would end badly.
I had one of those too, and you described the relationship perfectly FWIW, that is how I now describe BMW's after losing brakes twice coasting through a red light because the system sensed a "fault"

OK, back to your question which I feel qualified to answer. My new Tiger 800XC rocks. I was out on my Uly today for the first time since bringing the Tiger home. I love that Uly, but I now know that it will never be my only bike. I haven't had any problems with my 09, and it is fun as hell to ride. Yes, it has tons of character, but the whole time I was reminded how much I love riding this Tiger. It's the triple. I find it intoxicating. Demo one and see if it works for you. It is a totally different experience, and it is refined beyond belief. The opoosite of a Uly, but don't take that the wrong way. I love my Uly. I'm not selling it, but this is now my daily rider for a reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,218
Wicked A couple of questions about your question

How much power is "good power" ?

What do you mean by the "spirit of the ULY" ?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
How much power is "good power" ?

What do you mean by the "spirit of the ULY" ?
Yeah, good questions. By power I mean torque. All my bikes are two cylinder air cooled with most of the power low. I test rode a Street Triple once, but I'm 6 ft and it felt a bet cramped. Also, it was weird having the tach go up to 13K or whatever it was. I'm sure I could get used to it but I like the low end torque of the Buell....and of the Harley, once I did the Screaming Eagle stage 2 upgrade. I don't need 150 HP, but the Scrambler is a bit too low on that juice you get when you twist the throttle of the Uly. By spirit, I guess I mean the hooliganism, and the absolute confidence I have in the twisties.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail

SkiFastBadly screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 08:20 PM
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Yeah, good questions. By power I mean torque. All my bikes are two cylinder air cooled with most of the power low. I test rode a Street Triple once, but I'm 6 ft and it felt a bet cramped. Also, it was weird having the tach go up to 13K or whatever it was. I'm sure I could get used to it but I like the low end torque of the Buell....and of the Harley, once I did the Screaming Eagle stage 2 upgrade. I don't need 150 HP, but the Scrambler is a bit too low on that juice you get when you twist the throttle of the Uly. By spirit, I guess I mean the hooliganism, and the absolute confidence I have in the twisties.
I'm riding a 2008 Uly and did nearly 300 miles today and it was 'Golden' as TE Lawrence would say - but I'm looking for something else and have been trying out bikes over the past couple of years - SpeedTrip, MST12, Aprilia 750DD, Aprilia V4R, Superten, xc800 and the only one that provided the buzz and usability that the Uly has was the MST12 - handles as well, poised, super quicker, good looking........... the XC800 is a close second and good value for money.

The Pikes Peak MST is so good lookin - like the Uly but expensive and with loads more poke in sport mode. 2c

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Well I think I've just bought myself an '09 Uly XT, one came up in the fleemarket here that I couldn't resist so I put a deposit down and am working out the details now. Now I just gotta get myself up to boston with cash in one and an ECM in the other (it's got a cracked ECM -- FI light comes on after riding a while the seller says, has already been diagnosed by the dealer up there). Lots of great bike options here and I'm still dying to try the SMT or SMR 990, but I've never had a buell or HD before so figured I'd better see what all the fuss is about

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,218
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Well I think I've just bought myself an '09 Uly XT, one came up in the fleemarket here that I couldn't resist so I put a deposit down and am working out the details now.
Congrats !! I hope you enjoy it.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Well I think I've just bought myself an '09 Uly XT, one came up in the fleemarket here that I couldn't resist so I put a deposit down and am working out the details now. Now I just gotta get myself up to boston with cash in one and an ECM in the other (it's got a cracked ECM -- FI light comes on after riding a while the seller says, has already been diagnosed by the dealer up there). Lots of great bike options here and I'm still dying to try the SMT or SMR 990, but I've never had a buell or HD before so figured I'd better see what all the fuss is about
what did the new ECM cost you ?............. I have an EBR one and it performs much better. If I were in the states I'd get a Drummer can and EBR ECM - good combo .......... hope you enjoy it.

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
You got a smoking deal on that bike. I was also in contact with him but I was a fair distance away and couldn't get the time off work on such short notice to go get it in BOS.
Looking at an 08 Uly right now. I still have my 1150 GSA but I am looking forward to trying something different.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I'll just toss this one out there, Multistrada 1200 anyone?

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
I'll just toss this one out there, Multistrada 1200 anyone?
Thats what I did. I went from a Uly to the Multi 1200 and couldn't be happier. I loved my Uly and would probably still have it if I hadn't followed a friend to the Daytona BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer when he was trading his ST1300 on a Multi. The dealer knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he suggested I take his personal bike (Multi 1200) for a demo ride. The ride was like crack, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I resisted the urge to buy one for 6 months or so before giving in and getting one.

Of course I'm biased (like everyone else) but the Multi is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden when looked at from a total package standpoint comfort/power/handling standpoint. Are there more comfortable bikes out there?.... yes. Are there more powerful bikes out there?...yes. Are there better handling bikes out there/...yes. But I have yet to find one that pulls all three things together as well as the Multi.

It is an new model so there have been a few teething pains with the bike but the enjoyment of the ride had been well worth the hassles. The power of the Multi in the urban and enduro modes is comparable to the Uly; the Touring and Sport modes are in a whole other class. I've been calling the sport mode the stupid mode....its stupid fast and stupid fun.

@Armymedic: I haven't ridden a S10 yet but unless your Uly was set up wrong I find it hard to believe that a S10 handles better than a Uly. The Uly is one fine handling bike.

OP: If you dont at least demo a Multi before making your decision you are doing yourself a disservice. Test ride everything you can before making a decision.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

I don't have a Uly, but am in the market for this class of bike. I think the SMT is probably the closest thing to a modernized Uly. Light, simple, quick, somewhat visceral, 17" wheels and very sporty. The MTS is a phenomenal bike too, very sophisticated, fast, brakes and handles with the best. If anything its a bit too refined and sophisticated -- it doesn't have that exceptionally-visceral feel that a ducati should (though its worlds better than a BMW in this respect) and oddly, it doesn't demand enough of a rider imo. The motor and injection is flawless, you can be a ham fisted spode and it'll pull hard, smooth and clean from idle to red-line. Where's the fun in that?

The hyper is huge fun, very visceral, compact, extraordinary handling. The motor is blindingly fast, but it moves well and is extremely useable. As standard its no good as a tourer with less-than-great seat and a 100 mile fuel range. Add the DP seat (or some comfy aftermarket seat) and the 6+ gal CA cycleworks tank and you've got a mighty fine ultra-light/sporty tourer-capable machine.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
I don't have a Uly, but am in the market for this class of bike. I think the SMT is probably the closest thing to a modernized Uly. Light, simple, quick, somewhat visceral, 17" wheels and very sporty. The MTS is a phenomenal bike too, very sophisticated, fast, brakes and handles with the best. If anything its a bit too refined and sophisticated -- it doesn't have that exceptionally-visceral feel that a ducati should (though its worlds better than a BMW in this respect) and oddly, it doesn't demand enough of a rider imo. The motor and injection is flawless, you can be a ham fisted spode and it'll pull hard, smooth and clean from idle to red-line. Where's the fun in that?

The hyper is huge fun, very visceral, compact, extraordinary handling. The motor is blindingly fast, but it moves well and is extremely useable. As standard its no good as a tourer with less-than-great seat and a 100 mile fuel range. Add the DP seat (or some comfy aftermarket seat) and the 6+ gal CA cycleworks tank and you've got a mighty fine ultra-light/sporty tourer-capable machine.

That's why I mentioned the old MTS, with a set of Leo's it's a true riders bike, very fun!!

I'd love to have a Hyper and do that big tank, but we're a two-up family on the big bikes and it's too small.

The heat on the Uly is horrifying, especially two-up with hard bags...somehow the heat packs under the bike at speed.

I've spent considerable time on a Stelvio, more miles in one week than most people put on in a year. It's a great bike and once broken in the MPG's were into the mid 40's, I don't think you'd really need the NTX with the bigger tank. Heat is a complete non-issue.

Took my new to me 1150GS out yesterday two-up in 100 degree heat, it's really a great bike. I should have tried one sooner.

I've ridden a 990 a bit, somehow the FI ruins that bike. I rode a buddies 950SE and it's a great bike with the carbs, totally changed my mind about the big KTM's.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's why I mentioned the old MTS, with a set of Leo's it's a true riders bike, very fun!!

I'd love to have a Hyper and do that big tank, but we're a two-up family on the big bikes and it's too small.
I agree on that -- I'd expect the old MTS to be quite good, though I haven't any significant time on one. It and hyper are essentially the same bikes under all the plastic. An outfit in germany even made hypers out of MTSs before ducati got around to doing it and they looked darn good too

Most folks seem to love the Uly seat. I can't say from FHE though.

I'm the exact opposite re the carbs and FI, but I grew up with computers and FI and like the tuning options and instant throttle response. A well tuned FCR suits me too, but keeping one well turned is a full time career.

I'm leaning toward an SMT or 990 SMR as my next ride, but nothing's off the table yet and I'm still really curious about the Uly.