User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
DRZ400 tail bag with a Wolfman Lg Expedition tank bag

I was looking for a convenient way to carry a few things on the DRZ (lunch on the way to work etc.) with out buying a new bag, rack or box. My other criteria were it need to come off easily and not require irreversible modification to the bike. Here is what I came up with using a Wolfman Larger Expedition Tank Bag that I got a few years ago for the big bike. Honestly it came out better than I had hoped so I figured some of you might want to do something similar.

How it looks on the rig:

It is a pretty simple set up but will require hunting up some hardware, I have a specialty store in my town that just does fasteners so it made it a one stop trip once I knew what I needed.

For the front by the seat I did this:

That is a longer bolt than stock with a washer to hold the side cover then a sleeve as a spacer to get the strap out to flush with the seat followed by a fender washer on either side of the webbing where the bolt passes through it.

For the strap had a couple feet of left over flat (non-tubular) 1" webbing from an old project. This can be bought at an outdoor store or taken off an old backpack found at a thrift store (if you ride a KLR).

I went a bit overkill with the strap end. At the end of the webbing where it is bolted I folded over the end and sewed a pocket to hold a washer between the layers of webbing and then bar tacked the pocket shut. I don't think you really need to do this but it does make it super strong. I bet it would be plenty strong with the webbing just folded over and a hole melted through.

For the back of the bag I did this:

That is a slightly longer than stock fender bolt again with a couple fender washers and a short spacer sleeve (hidden under the 550 cord. On the bag I tied a loop of 550 cord through where the buckles on the bag are mounted. You'll want to be sure the loops are pretty small so the bag sits back as far as possible and that they are the same size so the bag sits strait on the bike. I did this rather than another pair of straps and buckles so that the bag could be mounted further back on the fender to allow for more room on the saddle.

The nice thing about this setup is that I can fit a jacket liner and my lunch in the bag and best of all when I get to work I just unsnap the two fastex buckles, unloop the 550 cord in the back and can carry the whole bag into work.

I have been using this setup for a couple months on my daily commute and it is super stable. However, I wouldn't put 25 lbs in it since it is only supported by the plastic fender but it is plenty strong for my needs.

I also made a short strap with a female fastex buckle sewn to each end so that I can clip the two straps across the seat like a rodeo strap when I am riding without the bag on to keep the straps bolted to the seat from flapping or melting on the muffler.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Good idea! I've got an "S" with a rack, but I did something similar for running events. I didn't like the way the tankbag felt on my legs with the IMS tank when I was doing a lot of standing.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote