Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,341
The Vintage Trials Thread

What the hell, why not...

Pictures, events, advise, tech stuff and whatever else comes to mind...

I have two, they both need work and I hope to participate in a event soon.

Jim.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Very nice idea, I have started the rebuild of my Yamaha TY now too,

I want to get the motor of the old girl a little bit more crisp- and troquie
as it is a 125cc TY model which in standard outfit doesn't pull a fish from
the plate as we say here.

I have found a used cylinder and a cylinderhead of a 175cc they will be
rebored to 200cc and then a differnt front end the fork of the 125/175
is a little bit "twisty" and in my early day's I managed to bend the
stanchions very quick, for the repair I had to work nearly a quarter
year in a market garden at week ends for repoting young hydrangea.

Never again! so I got a very pretty pair of forks from the later Mono TY
250 from E-Bay too. I will implant them in the TY, so far I'am now in the
stage of getting parts still looking around to find some other neatful stuff.

If there are any interests I can post more about the upcoming rebuild.

The entire rebuild will start in wintertime.

Meanwhile I try to get my Bulto finished, still some work left, electricity,
seat cover, trick front fender bracket, decals, ... all this small stuff that
takes a huge amount of time and only little progress is shown, (took me
a complete day to get rid of the old glue from the underside of the seat
base plate), ...

Some parts of the bike where enhanced, the suspension, engine, airbox,
exhaust, ..., (but can be replaced with the original one's). Again if there
are any interests I can post more about the project.

THe TY:

The Bultaco:
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
If there are any interests I can post more about the upcoming rebuild.
Please do...
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Keep em coming.
I got the Bultaco to ride AHRMA events. I've given up on them though, so now i occasionally ride it in our club events. It's a blast and really makes me appreciate my modern bike.
I wish there was a Vintage trials club on the west coast (USA).
Old 10-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
My '74 TL stroker and Friends

AHRMA event in Colorado, 2008:

International Twin Shock Event in Tennessee, 2007:

Mick Andrews Trials School, I was on a Montesa 247 cota I used to own.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Keep em coming.
I got the Bultaco to ride AHRMA events. I've given up on them though, so now i occasionally ride it in our club events. It's a blast and really makes me appreciate my modern bike.

OK, I will ask. Why have you given up on AHRMA events?

Dave
darmst6829 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
OK, I will ask. Why have you given up on AHRMA events?
Dave
Well on a local level the events are lame, sloppily run and poorly laid out. The last event I rode (sept. 2011) featured 3 loops of 7 sections for a total of 21 rides. The whole event took about an hour and a half. The distance between the first and last sections was about 300 yards, despite the fact they had hundreds of acres at their disposal. The largest obstacle(in the expert line) was a railroad tie laying on the ground. Sections were laid out in the parking area where vehicles were driving, and parking, in the staging areas for the sections.
I have ridden this event for the past 3 years and it's gotten more lame each year. Well before the event this year I talked to the Trial marshal and offered him the assistance of both myself and our local Trials club of about 50 members, to try and make it a better event this year, he opted not to take advantage of that offer.

On a national level it's clear that AHRMA doesn't care about Trials or want to develope it further. They don't publish Trials results on their website, they refuse to make a class for 80s vintage twinshocks, despite the fact that they did for MX, and those are some of their fullest, most competitive, classes.
Also they seem to be very lax, or selective, in enforcing their own rules. Walk through the pits and see how many bikes (both Trials and MX) you can spot that obviously exceed the 4" rear travel rule. A guy who builds his bike according to the rules is handicapping himself.

Are you sorry you asked now?

The good thing (I think) is that I've discovered that I dig riding vintage trials bikes! I was shopping for an MX bike to go with it. I just wish there was a better venue available to me for it.

lamotovita screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 12:34 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
On a national level it's clear that AHRMA doesn't care about Trials or want to develope it further. They don't publish Trials results on their website, they refuse to make a class for 80s vintage twinshocks, despite the fact that they did for MX, and those are some of their fullest, most competitive, classes.
Sadly, I've had similar feedback from those looking to ride and even organize vintage trials events in the northeast, where they seem to have no trials presence at all, and other organizations have had to pick up the slack. For areas where their interest and focus is they are very good, but make no mistake...the "R" in AHRMA stands for racing!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I have been to good AHRMA trails events and lack luster AHRMA trials events too. I won't mention the lack luster events in particular, but it was dis-heartening to travel to an event not to be challenged and pretty much see the truck from every section.

Although I have not been to one in about two years, in the past the best ones have been the first couple of years at Barber Motorsports Park and anything that Bob Ginder laid out. He used to layout Mid-Ohio before the AHRMA/AMA split and he had a two day event at his property in Tennessee. When you finished at day at Ginder's ranch, your body felt like you had just run a GNCC, good stuff!

Bob has put a lot of effort into his International Twin Shock events, and the couple that I have been able to attend were very good and worth the travel. Sorry, it doesn't help you guys on the west coast with the long travel distance, but maybe a club out west can start something like the Twin Shock series.
http://twinshock.org/
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=lamotovita;17107759]Well on a local level the events are lame, sloppily run and poorly laid out. The last event I rode (sept. 2011) featured 3 loops of 7 sections for a total of 21 rides. The distance between the first and last sections was about 300 yards, despite the fact they had hundreds of acres at their disposal. The largest obstacle(in the expert line) was a railroad tie laying on the ground. Sections were laid out in the parking area where vehicles were driving, and parking, in the staging areas for the sections.

On a national level it's clear that AHRMA doesn't care about Trials or want to develope it further. They don't publish Trials results on their website, they refuse to make a class for 80s vintage twinshocks, Also they seem to be very lax, or selective, in enforcing their own rules. Walk through the pits and see how many bikes (both Trials and MX) you can spot that obviously exceed the 4" rear travel rule. A guy who builds his bike according to the rules is handicapping himself.

Sorry I asked? No not at all. I would suggest the Steel Stampede at Crooked River Ranch, Hannegan Speedway and of course the Chehalis National and the Chehalis Premier and Classic Weekend. I guarantee those events will put points on your score card. It upsets me that the results aren’t published also but I don’t think its on purpose. I know the proponents and they work really hard and are super people. What bike do you ride that you are upset about the 80’s vintage twin-shocks? Also new trials masters like Dana Salsman, Terry Hyde and Pete Fisher have worked hard in the last few years to design challenging sections that wont hurt riders or their rare machines. The rules about 80’s twin shocks will change and change soon. I am calling you out as to the 4” rule. I have been through tech inspection many times and they always check the wheel travel in the MX. I have been called out on my Moose clutch helper thing over and over on my Classic class Bultaco trials bike. Its perfectly legal as the device is not hydraulic. I would say that if you cheat it will be noticed and if you are going for a championship you will loose the championship over a non legal motorcycle because someone will notice. So how is building a legal bike a handicap?

Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
pcmx47
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Well on a local level the events are lame, sloppily run and poorly laid out. The last event I rode (sept. 2011) featured 3 loops of 7 sections for a total of 21 rides. The whole event took about an hour and a half. The distance between the first and last sections was about 300 yards, despite the fact they had hundreds of acres at their disposal. The largest obstacle(in the expert line) was a railroad tie laying on the ground. Sections were laid out in the parking area where vehicles were driving, and parking, in the staging areas for the sections.
I have ridden this event for the past 3 years and it's gotten more lame each year. Well before the event this year I talked to the Trial marshal and offered him the assistance of both myself and our local Trials club of about 50 members, to try and make it a better event this year, he opted not to take advantage of that offer.

Also they seem to be very lax, or selective, in enforcing their own rules. Walk through the pits and see how many bikes (both Trials and MX) you can spot that obviously exceed the 4" rear travel rule. A guy who builds his bike according to the rules is handicapping himself.

The good thing (I think) is that I've discovered that I dig riding vintage trials bikes! I was shopping for an MX bike to go with it. I just wish there was a better venue available to me for it.
On the subject of quality of AHRMA trials events, it seems to me that one would need to sample more than one event before developing an opinion of AHRMA events as a whole. I've not been to the Spokane or Bellingham events so I can not judje them. While I have been involved with the Chehalis Classic since it's inception, I have only been involved with the trials side the last 2 years, taking over as the trialsmaster this year. I'm lucky to take over a trials that has been the largest vintage trials in tje US for a number of years. One reason for the high numbers is the MX crossovers. Most all of the Northweast Region motocrosses also have a trials.

On the subject of results, the AHRMA national site posts results for the national events as well as point standings. The AHRMA Northwest site is privately run by an individual who dedicates his time to post info, schedules, and results as they are given to him. AHRMA as an organization does not promote any trials or motocross events, it is done by dedicated individuals or groups.

Hope to see you at Chehalis. If you Have any questions you can call me at 360-751-6652 Dana Salsman
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmx47 View Post
On the subject of quality of AHRMA trials events, it seems to me that one would need to sample more than one event before developing an opinion of AHRMA events as a whole. I've not been to the Spokane or Bellingham events so I can not judje them. While I have been involved with the Chehalis Classic since it's inception, I have only been involved with the trials side the last 2 years, taking over as the trialsmaster this year. I'm lucky to take over a trials that has been the largest vintage trials in tje US for a number of years. One reason for the high numbers is the MX crossovers. Most all of the Northweast Region motocrosses also have a trials.

On the subject of results, the AHRMA national site posts results for the national events as well as point standings. The AHRMA Northwest site is privately run by an individual who dedicates his time to post info, schedules, and results as they are given to him. AHRMA as an organization does not promote any trials or motocross events, it is done by dedicated individuals or groups.

Hope to see you at Chehalis. If you Have any questions you can call me at 360-751-6652 Dana Salsman
Yes their results are on the AHRMA website. Easy to miss though with only 12-14 riders running with them anymore! Ironically, at least East of the Miss. Rvr, the biggest turnout event that AHRMA guys run is at Barbers Vintage Days. It is big only because the ITSA riders from the South frequent it. When VMD in Ohio was lost the big trials turnouts in the Midwest went with it. And the rest of the venues are gone too. Only Wisconsin remains in June and has very few riders in trials. My neat KT255 has been parked with the fuel drained for 2 years.... Anyone interested in buying it? Anyone interested in AHRMA at all anymore? Any progress been made with that stodgy Board of Dirs?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=lamotovita;17002623]

Start one.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

[QUOTE=darmst6829;17701439]
Quote:

Start one.

Dave
I think a better plan is to assimilate vintage Trials riders into the modern Trials clubs and events.Hopefully that will result in a stronger Trials club, rather than having a weak modern, and a weak vintage club.
A vintage Trials bike can be competitive in the lower classes of modern Trials, and many riders have been riding them thusly, but I think that catering specifically to vintage bikes will attract more riders.
In the past our club has always maintained that if enough vintage bikes show up at events we would make a class for them. It's never happened for us. So now I'm going to actively recruit vintage riders and create the class in advance. I'll post a flyer for my June 24th Trial (near Spokane WA) here. If I can get a good response I'm sure I can convince other clubs and marshals to do the same.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,699
Quote:
I think a better plan is to assimilate vintage Trials riders into the modern Trials clubs and events.Hopefully that will result in a stronger Trials club, rather than having a weak modern, and a weak vintage club.
A vintage Trials bike can be competitive in the lower classes of modern Trials, and many riders have been riding them thusly, but I think that catering specifically to vintage bikes will attract more riders.
In the past our club has always maintained that if enough vintage bikes show up at events we would make a class for them. It's never happened for us. So now I'm going to actively recruit vintage riders and create the class in advance. I'll post a flyer for my June 24th Trial (near Spokane WA) here. If I can get a good response I'm sure I can convince other clubs and marshals to do the same.
How many is enough? My bike will be there, I don't know if I will be riding it or not but I'm sure if I chicken out I can get someone to compete on it.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote