User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
UnderNewOwnership OP
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,339
For the Alfa Romeo fans

All four of you... You know who you are...

It would seem that after testing the prototype of the upcoming Alfa Romeo 4C, Harald Wester (Chief Technology Officer - FIAT, CEO - Alfa Romeo, Maserati) was unimpressed by the preliminary results and demanded a do-over.

The result of that do-over is a completely new engine (not a development of the current 1.75-litre), 1.8 litres in displacement, full-aluminium construction. It features a slightly improved version of the MultiAir variable timing system, direct injection and a variable geometry turbocharger. Power is reputed to be around 300 hp (compared to the current 235 of the 1.75).

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...111009992/1193

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...er-engine.html

http://www.cartechnica.co.uk/blog/Al...petrol-engine-
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Looks cool, but I doubt I'll ever get to see one domestically.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
They've been talking about it for what, 5 years now? I can't believe FIAT made it back to the states before Alfa Romeo.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,696
Quote:
I thought the 4C was key to their getting back in to the US strategy...

Anyway, 300HP... in this:

rool

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,053
Quote:

Actually, we have a pretty decent chance of seeing this one stateside. Thanks the relative success of Fiat in the states and thanks to Fiat's majority control of Chrysler group and Alfa, they have all the dealer network they need. That was how the Fiat 500 was brought over -- through the pre-existing Chrysler network after Fiat VASTLY improved the quality of damn near everything the sell and all their manufacturing plants!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Actually, we have a pretty decent chance of seeing this one stateside.
If I'm not mistaken, the Brera is no longer in production.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, we have a pretty decent chance of seeing this one stateside. Thanks the relative success of Fiat in the states and thanks to Fiat's majority control of Chrysler group and Alfa, they have all the dealer network they need. That was how the Fiat 500 was brought over -- through the pre-existing Chrysler network after Fiat VASTLY improved the quality of damn near everything the sell and all their manufacturing plants!
actually, if you go to a dodge dealer and look at the dart, what you are looking at is the alfa giulietta hit w/an ugly stick. for about ~$20k, you can get a pretty nicely set-up ride, w/the same turbo engine as what's in the fiat 500 abarth edition. including a 6-speed transmission; the abarth only has a 5-speed. i don't understand why the abarth costs ~$8k more than the the dart turbo. too bad, really; if fiat had lowered the prices of the standard 500's and the abarths ~$6k or so, they'd have sold like hotcakes...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i don't understand why the abarth costs ~$8k more than the the dart turbo.

Because the Abarth is genuinely race tuned and handles and performs like it. Cast steel control arms. Forged wheels. Special hi frequency shocks and appropriate springs, etc. Plus a lot of track time development. Can't say that for the Dart. I think they're cool, but I can definitely see why the Abarth is more expensive. It's $8k the performance car the Dart is.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Because the Abarth is genuinely race tuned and handles and performs like it. Cast steel control arms. Forged wheels. Special hi frequency shocks and appropriate springs, etc. Plus a lot of track time development. Can't say that for the Dart. I think they're cool, but I can definitely see why the Abarth is more expensive. It's $8k the performance car the Dart is.
the dart is no slouch performance-wise, as it is an alfa giulietta underneath. you can get it w/18" wheels, for a list price of $21k, which includes the turbo engine and a 6 speed trans. same price as a well equipped non-abarth 500. for the prices they are asking for the 500's, they all should come w/a 6 speed transmission, imo...

doug s.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
DIRTDUC
Banned

Oddometer: 644
As they say in England...that's dead sexy...
I worked for Alfa Romeo for a long time in Australia and worked in conjunction with Alfa Australia when the GTV-6 came out and had a bunch of oil leaks (go figure), I have always thought that Alfa has produced some of the sexiest vehicles to come off the assembly line..
DIRTDUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Always loved Alfas but never owned one. My buddies dad was the local sales manager for them back in the 1970s and he always came home in a cool one. I remember the Alfetta GT he brought home once was SOOO modern looking and had a Turbo!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Had a '61 Giulietta Spider which I really liked, but it needed a full resto & I don't have that kind of patience.

A buddy of mine had a Berlina, an Alfetta, and was given a total basket case '59 Giulietta Veloce.

All fun cars, all good memories, which is why I would love to have this:

What a great looking car.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Quote:
Had a '61 Giulietta Spider which I really liked, but it needed a full resto & I don't have that kind of patience.

A buddy of mine had a Berlina, an Alfetta, and was given a total basket case '59 Giulietta Veloce.

All fun cars, all good memories, which is why I would love to have this:

What a great looking car.
All three top gear blokes say that is one of the prettiest cars ever designed, but all agree it is way too slow.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
All three top gear blokes say that is one of the prettiest cars ever designed, but all agree it is way too slow.
I think I could make that sacrifice given that engines can always be made more powerful.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

as a long time alfa driver, i finally gave up using them as a daily driver a coupla years ago - it's simply too hard to now find parts for these lovely cars. i still have one left - an 85.5 gtv6 w/3.0, tweaked ecu/headers/suspension/etc. but, no more daily driving. i put ~130k in 10 years on my last '86 gtv6 as a daily ride (shared w/my bikes), and pretty-much destroyed it - tinworm and too many misc little things wrong w/parts that are basically unobtanium now. this one deserves a better fate - it's basically a straight rust-free donor body w/all the performance goodies from the one i trashed. besides the gtv6's, i had three milano's and two 164's. nice rides. some day, alfa may be back in the usa. hahahaha!

doug s.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: