User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
Carrying Deodorant

Since we're going through a cold snap, I have a question about warm-weather travel.

What, if any, deodorant do y'all carry on your bike during a long trip? I've tried the various sample-sized deodorant packages you find at the pharmacy, but have had problems with them melting when the temps are in the 80s and 90s.

I've looked for small cans of spray-on deodorant without luck.

I like my gear to be small and light, but I can't find a good alternative to the big stick of deodorant in my bathroom.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,500
I use a mineral-salt "rock" at home and take a year-old "rock" when I travel. The one I carry is about the size and shape of half a golf ball.

I find these rocks (some call them crystals) work for me. They irritate some people's skin and for other people they are not strong enough. By wetting the thing I can get enough salt on my skin to keep the odor-causing bacteria at bay.

EDIT: A new "rock" is a bit bigger than a golf ball. It's easier to hold, since it's used wet. For me a new one lasts just over a year for about $10 or $12.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I use a mineral-salt "rock" at home and take a year-old "rock" when I travel. The one I carry is about the size and shape of half a golf ball.

I find these rocks (some call them crystals) work for me. They irritate some people's skin and for other people they are not strong enough. By wetting the thing I can get enough salt on my skin to keep the odor-causing bacteria at bay.

EDIT: A new "rock" is a bit bigger than a golf ball. It's easier to hold, since it's used wet. For me a new one lasts just over a year for about $10 or $12.
This is what I took to Mexico, only the small pump can version. I bought it at Walgreens.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,238
gel sticks seem to hold up to heat for me...even he sample sizes. don;t last as long, but don;t melt either.
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 976
rocks/crystals

Plus one on the rocks and crystals. All I use. They do not melt, I purchased a small travel size 2 years ago, its still in my kit, only about half used up.

Monte
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
Jamie,
I'msouth of you on the coast. I've never had any problems with gel sticks melting. Maybe it's a brand specific problem.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Jamie,
I'msouth of you on the coast. I've never had any problems with gel sticks melting. Maybe it's a brand specific problem.
If put on the dash of a vehicle, left in the sunlight for a long time...yeah.

Stick it down in your bag/clothing/whatever. I've experienced deo melting in the past. Just stick it inside a sock, or use some other type of insutaltion. The cheap Speed Stick (original boring green) deo, not the anti pers, has always worked best for me.

Big, regular sticks of the above, no sample sizes...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post

I don't have a clue what this is, but thanks for the heads up. I might look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
gel sticks seem to hold up to heat for me...even he sample sizes. don;t last as long, but don;t melt either.
I differentiate between "stick" deodorant and "gel" deodorant. I generally use the stick variety at home. That's what I've tried to carry on the road, but they tend to melt. I never thought about using gel, as I'm not a fan of that cold gooey feeling when I put it on, but it probably solves the issue with melting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Jamie,
As above, perhaps gel is the way to go. This past summer I took a couple of trips with 100F temps and found my deodorant stick had melted inside the packagine, rendering it pretty useless. It might be related to brand, as I only tried one brand, though I can't remember brand that was now.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,500
(About rock/crystal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I don't have a clue what this is, but thanks for the heads up. I might look into it.
You'll probably have to look in your local natural food store or food co-op. snohobo uses one in a plastic case. I get the ones in blue or gray drawstring bags.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,159
Why hasn't anyone suggested deo creams in a can?Any drug store will have it in multiple brands.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrid-Extr...-1-oz/10811069

This can be you and your riding buddy.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
castle-of-teck
DL1000 A

Oddometer: 27
Shell Rotella will do just perfect
Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
LegIron
Nomad

Oddometer: 6
Chain Lube works great...and it's good for 1,000 miles or so depending on your sweat glands and the temperatures.
LegIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,259
Embrace the funk. Subvert the dominant paradigm. Go deodorant free. Just don't ride near me, Really folks, motorcycle specific deodorant? Really?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Rock Junkee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
i use the tea tree with aloe roll on and it worx great small and easy plus its alluminum free
most of your house hold deoderents have all sorts of shity chemicles in them and have been
related to cause cancer
Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Axe spray deodorant comes in small travel sizes and can be used to spray down the inside of your jacket too.

I have seen these at my local pharmacy but I would have to agree that smelling like a hells angel on any given bike trip has never been an issue. How close are you getting to your ride buddies anyway?
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote