Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
what do you wear when scootering?

HI

I am new into the scootering side and I have been wearing all my gear, and a couple of people have mention that I look silly with my helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and pants, yes all the gear!

So, am I over doing in it? do you dress any different on the scooter vs when on the motorcycle?

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
It's balancing comfort/laziness against safety.
As a scoot provides some protection for legs and feet, I wear business trousers and shoes when riding into office (only 10km urban trip). Helmet, armoured jacket and gloves are easy to undress, don't need to retreat into the toilet. In this time of the year often rainsuit outer wear too.
On a trip with armoured pants and boots, no matter on which open vehicle.
But I wear my dedicated spine protector only when I'm willing to push and carry no backpack (and too, have to remove the integrated back protector of the jacket).

If I'd like to maximize safety, I would wear my motorcycle dress for the short sidewalks to/from public transport and maybe even in the train/bus.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

Oddometer: 205
well, I've been told that leather is the way to go.....I'm not certain about it yet....

Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
HI

I am new into the scootering side and I have been wearing all my gear, and a couple of people have mention that I look silly with my helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and pants, yes all the gear!

So, am I over doing in it? do you dress any different on the scooter vs when on the motorcycle?

Damasovi

Ultimately it`s up to you and how much you do or don`t want to get hurt if you fall off.
Falling off a small bike won`t hurt any less than falling off a bike bike and road rash or broken bones will happen just the same.

I wear all my regular bike riding gear on my scooters....armoured textiles, gloves,boots...and helmets are compulsory here anyway.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
bigdaddybrink1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Depends on what state, temp, and what kind of riding......
on a daily basis tho, full leather jacket, helmet, and glasses......
bigdaddybrink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,310
The guys riding Tour de France, etc. on bicycles get hurt all the time. You're probably scootering faster than a bicycle, no? People who tell me they go slow so they don't need any protective clothing, I tell them to dive forward while standing still onto concrete. Then tell me if it hurts.

Wear what's going to protect you in a fall. If you've already got motorcycling clothes, why not wear them?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I don't preach ATGTT, but I live it. I ride my scoot more than I drive a car and own 4 of them. As a youngster riding I had several low speed get offs and plenty of road rash. To keep the better half more accepting of my return to riding was to make certain concessions. Most of which were a good idea. Even my daughter always wears gear, it doesn't seem to take away from her riding pleaser because from the minute she gets up on the weekends she want to know when we are going riding.

Name:  395423_2393009940376_1104732396_31931919_203771190_n.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  116.4 KB

12/24/11
Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,638
Hmmm, let's see. Would you get road rash from going down while doing 55mph on a Cruiser? How about a sport bike? Dual Sport? Scooter? naw...you probably don't need it on a scooter doing 55mph...it's way different and you would fall softer if you went down on a scooter.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Y'all don't let ain't nobody told you ain't nothin! Fuck them! If they don't like it they can kiss my country ass! For you they can kiss your ass without no road burn! Or whatever you perfer.

For me, I always wear jeans, boots [well you look cooler with them anyways and I only like boots now there not motorcycle boots but have decent ankle support and steel toed better than tennis shoes!], and a jacket or tea shirt depending on temp, usually my leather motorcycle jacket, but if its too damn hot, well than can't really stand it, try and use light one but sometimes its just too damn hot, 105 degrees no way, but I know what can happen.

As far as helmets, I always wear one, well thats not really my choice its the law here, but why not. Usually a full face. Pretty much, well I have ain't no winchshield, so it really sucks to not have one on long rides. On real hot killer days I wear a half with sunglasses or goggles, but on long rides I use the full cause non of my bikes don't got no windshield. Hard to think about hot now with the 20s the last few nights and mornings though!

But really, just try to dress safe and wear what you want. I mean just wear a helmet and jeans at the least. I mean just zippin around a farm on a dirtbike helmets are not so necessary, but you'd be supprised even then when you smack yer head on a rock at 35 MPH!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,341
Dang, you guys got to learn to quit falling off of your scooters..

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Motorcycle jeans with knee armor.

Under armor with hip, thigh and lower spine armor.

Motorcycle boots.

Summer ventilated textile jacket with armor on back and elbows or winter lined textile jacket with elbow and back armor.

Motorcycle gloves.

HJC flip front helmet or Bell full-face helmet.

I'm 57 years old and I don't heal as quick as I used to. I dress for the fall, not for the ride and I wear ATGATT year round-regardless of the type of bike or the type of run I'm going on. I really don't give a flying donut hole what others think about it. I don't lecture them about wearing their gear...if they prefer nasty abrasions, broken jaws and other bones in order to look cool, that 's their get out...and they can keep their opinions to themselves about what I wear.

Just sayin'...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
There was a stat I read that stated above 35 mph crashes that are fatal rise exponentially.

On the Honda C70 Passport, top speed 35 mph, typically ridden at 25 mph: Full face, MC gloves, leather MC jacket, hiking type boots, Carhart jeans. Having ridden and still ride a road bicycle, often at those same speeds, I figure I am much better off the way I dress for the Passport, not full AGATT, than the bicycle.

On the BV250, which can go on the highway, in addition to the full helmet & gloves, I will trade off between a Aerostich roadcrafter, or another armored jacket and pants, and full MC boots.

When I lived in India, Indonesia and SE Asia, where it is usually hot and humid, the temptation is very strong to ride like the locals. I still wore a full face and gloves, long pants, and long sleeve shirts. Most of the locals thought it was really over dressed. One thing I brought over from the US to use there was a top of the line bicycle moto X helmet, light and well ventilated with large slots.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
On the Honda C70 Passport, top speed 35 mph, typically ridden at 25 mph....
Your Passport needs a tuneup! My 82 with 26,000km on it will do 70kmh/45mph every day; I've seen 80kmh/50mph (ideal conditions, chin on speedo, feet on passenger pegs...) And I'm 6'3"/200 lbs.

Anyways, full face and jacket and boots.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,341
50s and 60s no helmet, jeans T-shirt. Got a helmet law had to start wearing a helmet. Today in summer, helmet, T shirt, jeans, motorcycle boots. Well the helmet does have a full face flip up shield. In winter, what ever it takes to keep warm. Oh yeah I have not fell off my bike in 53 years. Either I'm damn good or just lucky. doesn't matter which one.

In reality I guess I was lucky and had someone watching over me for back in the day when I rode Harleys, we would get blind running drunk on week ends and rip all over the county and none of us ever went down. Damn lucky. I quit drinking nearly 30 years ago and I don't take chances today. probably 3 more years of riding and I will hang it up. getting too many health problems.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 07:03 PM
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
This topic has been covered before: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653311

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote