User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Georgia 2012

I will be passing through Georgia from Turkey then into Russia in August 2012, has any one any recomendations for places to ride/ things to see on my short visit there??
I will be spending one night in Batumi and 2 nights in Tbilisi, any ideas will be great.

Eric
Revenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
That's a pretty short stay. I thought Tbilisi was nice, and I'm not really into cities. There is a walkable, pretty, touristy part including and surrounding the old city. You could easily kill two days simply wandering, admiring the architecture, filling up on khachapuri, and taking in the general vibe of a city and people who are doing everything possible to leave behind the Soviet era. (In other former Republics, lots of signs are still in Russian -- in Georgia they are primarily in Georgian and English. And the border officials are carrying M4 carbines instead of AK-47s.) There is a pricey English language bookstore called Prospero's on Rustaveli (the main shopping/touristy area), which also has great espresso and pastries and a secluded courtyard for enjoying it all.

North of town is a very cool old church called Mtskheta. Interesting frescoes inside include one depicting Jesus surrounded by the 12...zodiac signs. It's well worth a morning visit and is much more interesting than the recently-built national cathedral.

If you're missing Turkish kebap and coffee, my favorite was at a tiny place at Marjanishvili and Uznadze on the east side of the river.

If you can work it in, I highly recommend a visit to Kazbegi (also called Stepantsminda) in the north, on the Georgian Military Highway. Stunning, dramatic scenery and a neat old cathedral high on a mountaintop.

Many of the backpackers and English teachers I met had an urge to visit the Stalin museum at Gori.

Have fun.

PS: I'm not sure the Georgia/Russia border is open.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
That's a pretty short stay. I thought Tbilisi was nice, and I'm not really into cities. There is a walkable, pretty, touristy part including and surrounding the old city. You could easily kill two days simply wandering, admiring the architecture, filling up on khachapuri, and taking in the general vibe of a city and people who are doing everything possible to leave behind the Soviet era. (In other former Republics, lots of signs are still in Russian -- in Georgia they are primarily in Georgian and English. And the border officials are carrying M4 carbines instead of AK-47s.) There is a pricey English language bookstore called Prospero's on Rustaveli (the main shopping/touristy area), which also has great espresso and pastries and a secluded courtyard for enjoying it all.

North of town is a very cool old church called Mtskheta. Interesting frescoes inside include one depicting Jesus surrounded by the 12...zodiac signs. It's well worth a morning visit and is much more interesting than the recently-built national cathedral.

If you're missing Turkish kebap and coffee, my favorite was at a tiny place at Marjanishvili and Uznadze on the east side of the river.

If you can work it in, I highly recommend a visit to Kazbegi (also called Stepantsminda) in the north, on the Georgian Military Highway. Stunning, dramatic scenery and a neat old cathedral high on a mountaintop.

Many of the backpackers and English teachers I met had an urge to visit the Stalin museum at Gori.

Have fun.

PS: I'm not sure the Georgia/Russia border is open.
Hi Sean
Many thanks for the info, man do miss having a good Kebab been Thailand to long!
The Georgia Military Highway wow! have seen many pictures, so we will end up in Kazbegi when we leave Georgia, all reports say its open??
I think we will allow one more day here and one less on Europe
Thanks for your reply

Eric
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Delirium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
+1 with The Georgia Military Highway

Gudauri is very beautiful in winter and i believe in summer as well!

Svanetia is also worth visiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenue View Post
Hi Sean
Many thanks for the info, man do miss having a good Kebab been Thailand to long!
The Georgia Military Highway wow! have seen many pictures, so we will end up in Kazbegi when we leave Georgia, all reports say its open??
I think we will allow one more day here and one less on Europe
Thanks for your reply

Eric
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Feeding Father
From RU with love...

Oddometer: 236
Everything is changing in our unstable world we are living in, but this moment the border open.

"www.kuranoff.ru" sidecars
Feeding Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeding Father View Post
Everything is changing in our unstable world we are living in, but this moment the border open.
I totally agree, for my trip from the UK to Thailand, things can change overnight in all contries
Thank you for the confirmation, i was going to ride to the border anyway

Eric
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Feeding Father
From RU with love...

Oddometer: 236
Be careful:

If you will enter to Georgia from Abкhazia or South Ossetia (separated form Georgia regions), according the low in Georgia you can stay at prison for 2-4 years. This is what my friends told me. They also traveled on the moto from Russia to Turkey - they checked and finally decided to use the ferry. But some people tell that everything is quiet. Be prepared that in the border line you will be stopped at least.

But If you are are coming from Turkey to Russia directly you miss these new country.

USA do not accept the separation - if you will check the Google map you will not see separated from Georgia regions - it looks like a Georgia in the past. But in the fact, separated regions exist and there border line between them.

Take a look here: http://www.200stran.ru/images/maps/1...356_b96e28.jpg

"www.kuranoff.ru" sidecars
Feeding Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,561
I've ridden across Georgia twice, and am going back this summer. awesome place!

the military hiway N from Tlibisi is the only open border to russia, and it only opened recently. (this is why I am going, as I can now circle the black sea)
but... things can change, keep up with the info.

from batumi-tlibisi is 2 routes. the north one from near Polti is paved, & has traffic.

BUT... if you are on an enduro, take the southern route. its 200km of dirt over a mountain, and friggin AWESOME! people are nice, scenery is great, and no traffic!

both routes look like the same type of road on the map, but the southern route is more fun.

Gori & the Stalin museum is interesting, as is Vardzia, to the south with the old cave city & the still working monestary.

Hope that helps
Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

the military hiway N from Tlibisi is the only open border to russia, and it only opened recently. (this is why I am going, as I can now circle the black sea)

from batumi-tlibisi is 2 routes. the north one from near Polti is paved, & has traffic.

BUT... if you are on an enduro, take the southern route. its 200km of dirt over a mountain, and friggin AWESOME! people are nice, scenery is great, and no traffic!

both routes look like the same type of road on the map, but the southern route is more fun.

Gori & the Stalin museum is interesting, as is Vardzia, to the south with the old cave city & the still working monestary.

Hope that helps
Doug
Hi Doug

Thanks for the info on the border, or planned route from Batumi to Tblisi is the A306 18 km past Akhalkalki turn left this road runs passed Lake Paravani at 2168m Lake Sanamer then the A303 which seems to have quite a few Castles and other scenic things onto Tbilisi for two nights, from there we will do a couple half day rides then we wil ride the Military highway to the border.

Eric
Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:

Hope that helps
Doug
That offroad route over the mountains, can you take a google maps screenshot? i cant pinpoint it.

Im not going to iceland afterall this year as my sig suggests, il be leaving belgium on the 4th for a round trip around the black sea instaid!
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
stephenaki
Old Rider

Oddometer: 271
concur with Doug, Gori is interesting especially the Stalin museum. I was part of a team evaluating the Georgian military after the conflict with Russia. I enjoyed Tblisi and Kazbegi wa quite scenic. Not sure what things are doing now but I enjoyed Georgia it is an interesting place.
99 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
stephenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
rok1679
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Greetings Everyone!

So the only possible way to cross border with Russia is going from Vladikavkaz to Kazbegi - military highway? Crossing was long closed for foreigners, but now it is open?
What about Turkey? Which borders can be used by foreigners? I know of Sarpi, but are there any else ?

Are there any good spots along Black Sea coast to rest for a couple of days (hotels excluded)?
rok1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok1679 View Post
Greetings Everyone!

So the only possible way to cross border with Russia is going from Vladikavkaz to Kazbegi - military highway? Crossing was long closed for foreigners, but now it is open?
What about Turkey? Which borders can be used by foreigners? I know of Sarpi, but are there any else ?
Are there any good spots along Black Sea coast to rest for a couple of days (hotels excluded)?
From the reports i have read on many forums it is open to all from Nov 2011, who knows in the future, i do hope it will be in August!! It is the only place for foreigners.
Just been reading a european motorcyclist crossing Karcahi to Aktag in summer 2011 this will be better for us as we will be riding up from Erzurum staying overnight in Ardahan then just a short 70km ride in the morning to the border.
Still waiting for a friend who lives in Rize to come back to me will post when i have any info, on cheapish Accom
Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,561
theres a border crossing from GEO-TR thats just west of Armenia, near a town called Vale? (I think) that I crossed in 2010. its in the middle of nowhere, & there was about 10km of bad dirt/gravel on the GEO side to reach it.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok1679 View Post
Greetings Everyone!

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Quote:
theres a border crossing from GEO-TR thats just west of Armenia, near a town called Vale? (I think) that I crossed in 2010. its in the middle of nowhere, & there was about 10km of bad dirt/gravel on the GEO side to reach it.

Doug
Hi Doug
Yes i see that crossing at Vale, how was the crossing for a foreigner? it would be great to cross in this area rather than ride up to the black sea and cross there.

Eric