User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
scootertrash OP
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Just test rode a Stella..

Been driving by a scooter dealer on the PCH in SD. Finally swung by and looked at the scoots, mostly Vespa. I was surprised to see a Stella, thinking that it wasn't legal for sale here in CA. Well they just switched to a 150cc 4s single. I was offered a test ride which I eagerly accepted, never ridden a manual scooter before. It sounded like a dirtbike.
Really fun to ride after I got used to it. It's supposed to be able to do 60 mph at up to 140 mpg..
I like it..Not just retro, but rather a new antique.
Attached Images

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 08:18 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I had an '05 Stella. Loved it. I have not been able to ride the new four stroker version, but I am interested. There is definitely a hole in my heart where Stella used to be.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestone View Post
I had an '05 Stella. Loved it. I have not been able to ride the new four stroker version, but I am interested. There is definitely a hole in my heart where Stella used to be.

Same here. I had a 2003 that Was one of my two favorite bikes. Bikes come and go,
but I really miss my old Stella. Sold it to start a business. Now, no business, no bike

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
rajavw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
Been driving by a scooter dealer on the PCH in SD. Finally swung by and looked at the scoots, mostly Vespa. I was surprised to see a Stella, thinking that it wasn't legal for sale here in CA. Well they just switched to a 150cc 4s single. I was offered a test ride which I eagerly accepted, never ridden a manual scooter before. It sounded like a dirtbike.
Really fun to ride after I got used to it. It's supposed to be able to do 60 mph at up to 140 mpg..
I like it..Not just retro, but rather a new antique.
Save a GRIP of $$$ and buy a used 2-Stroke Stella, I guarantee that you will have more fun and retain way more residual value when it comes time to sell it.
rajavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
They do look nice. I've been resisting the urge to test ride one. Lots of info on them here http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/index.html
It would make a nice 2nd scooter. I would have to keep the 400 Burgman.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Stella! Stella!
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Stella! Stella!
Come on man! That shit was funny. Nobody seen A Street Car Named Desire? BTW - I totally dig Stellas and would own one. If for no other reason I would ride it around a yelling, "STELLA! STELLA!"
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I took Stella for a test ride once, and I thought this was the worst two wheel machine I've ever been on. Dismal, wobbly steering, hopeless brakes - this wasn't just 'old fashioned', this was downright dangerous! Manual gearchange system is not that great, and the foot brake on the floor is in terrible position, so the rider has to take their foor off the floor just as they need to brace themselves the most... again, this is not 'delightfully quaint' in my book, it's just poor ergonomics, period. Paint, fit and finish of very average quality...I could go on, but I won't. I found not a single redeeming feature on this bike - I'm glad I had the experience of riding it once, and I do not intend to ever come near one again.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I took Stella for a test ride once, and I thought this was the worst two wheel machine I've ever been on. Dismal, wobbly steering, hopeless brakes - this wasn't just 'old fashioned', this was downright dangerous! Manual gearchange system is not that great, and the foot brake on the floor is in terrible position, so the rider has to take their foor off the floor just as they need to brace themselves the most... again, this is not 'delightfully quaint' in my book, it's just poor ergonomics, period. Paint, fit and finish of very average quality...I could go on, but I won't. I found not a single redeeming feature on this bike - I'm glad I had the experience of riding it once, and I do not intend to ever come near one again.
We all know that, owners included, and no one actually cares.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Sure, but I think it is only fair to warn potential newcomers who might get sucked into the whole retro deal what reality lurks behind that image because it's all fun and games until you have to stop in a hurry - visions of Audrey Hepburn won't help you much then :)
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
chassmash
Banned

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Sure, but I think it is only fair to warn potential newcomers who might get sucked into the whole retro deal what reality lurks behind that image because it's all fun and games until you have to stop in a hurry - visions of Audrey Hepburn won't help you much then :)
Visions of Audrey Hepburn will always help you ;)

I have several bikes of which the Stella is one. It does ride differently then a modern bike but you do get used to it. It really is a fun safe bike, easy to work on, excellent front brake, great in the rain because of the fairing. Its a lot more fun then a modern honda scooter , one of which I also have. Horses for courses
chassmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
I think it goes without saying that everyone should test ride ANY bike before
purchase, but yeah, the suspension/brakes and overall stability is horrible,
especially if the tires are bad (I've ridden some 1980s original Vespas).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Quote:
When I got mine, the people who dropped it off told me since I am so used to
riding motorcycles, the Stella is going to be hard to ride at first. "Yeah Right!"
sez I after laffery subsided, pointed to my garage that had a FX, DR650 and ZX-9 in it . . .
But Wow, it was very hard to balance. Later, it was no big deal, and I put in lots of great
miles with no problems whatsoever. I read later that the 2-stroke version's motor is offset
for some reason that makes stability a little shaky til you get used to it. The 4T is more central
though, so it is 'sposed to not have these quirks. Who cares if BMW riders think its substandard,
It's one of my favorite bikes ever, I would buy another one today if I had a place to put it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
kittty
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Kind of old thread, but must chime in. The tale of my Powder Blue 2009 Stella 2T (that I did not test ride)

I bought my Stella based on looks, as well as no desire to have an automatic scooter as I've never owned an automatic car and they bore me. No motorcycle license, walked into my local dealership and said, "I'm buying that Stella." That was that. When I said I had never been on anything with two wheels, they (very politely) treated me like an idiot I had done as much research as humanly possible (I wanted one seven years ago but lived in California and was out of luck) and when I started finishing his sentences and throwing in other info, he was surprised and relieved. After the sale he told me nobody had ever come in with zero experience and bought a Stella. Typically first time scooter buyers ride ten different twist and gos before picking one. For me though, there was no question. It was Stella or nothing. Well, or vintage I guess.

So I had Stella home with me for a day before I even SAT on her, lol. A few days later, went out for a ride, which was slightly less than disastrous. Waited like a week before I tried again, slightly better, less stalling at least. I had a feeling I might have made a mistake, had I gotten a twist and go I'd be fine. But I kept telling myself, old women ride them, you can do it. Finally another week later, 4th of July, I said that's it, I'm mastering this scooter today. Rode about 50 miles that day, just over one month ago. I'm coming up on 900 miles now

I absolutely love this scooter, I just love her. I love the sound, the smell, the gears, the cute color, the looks I get from jealous middle aged women in boring SUVs. At first I thought I was being silly, this is a splurge, it's impractical, what do I need a scooter for. I basically never drive my car now, unless it's raining, or I have to get a case of soda, the only grocery item I haven't mastered transporting on her yet. The forecast looks bad, and I dread driving my car to work tomorrow, and I've got a pretty neat car.

She's so dreamy.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Quote:
☝☝
This