ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Mac OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
How to install MapSource without a disk, or previous installation

Step 1: Download latest version of MapSource from Garmin.
Step 2: Rename file extension to a .rar instead of .exe
Step 3: Use WinRar to extract to a folder (instead of running exe).
Step 4: Run MSmain.msi file, not Setup.exe.
Step 5: Be happy.

Note that "setup.exe" runs the check to see if you already have MapSource installed, then it executes the MSmain.msi file to install the application. By executing MSmain.msi file directly, you skip that step and just get a clean installation.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
This worked great on my netbook when I was on a trip and needed to load MS to view tracks that were sent to me.

Thanks for the tip !
BajaRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hey Mac, this info rocks m8 :)

I have been getting nagged lately, since adding some after market maps, so I un-installled and re-installed the way you describe and it works great, thanks.

Now, for some info that may help others, I had been using Mapsource, I think it was 6124, and this was fine and worked with my MAP76S. But, I have a new Montana650T arriving soon, so I thought I would install Basecamp and get used to the interface.

Well, it installed but deactivated my mapsource and to tell the truth, I am not that impressed by basecamp yet. I was a bit underwhelmed, but then after un-installing all Garmin products and using the above procedure, I then downloaded and installed Mapsource 6163 which as mentioned works fine.

I then got curious and decided to follow the same procedure using Basecamp and I can now say it was successful and I can have both programs open and running at the same time

**note, one of the glaring omissions from Basecamp is the ability to click on a drop down button to select Map Scale which is very annoying as you have to select the magnifying glass and right or left click to step through the scales**

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
**note, one of the glaring omissions from Basecamp is the ability to click on a drop down button to select Map Scale which is very annoying as you have to select the magnifying glass and right or left click to step through the scales**

Cheers
TravellingStrom
You do know you can zoom with the plus and minus keys in Mapsource - maybe Basecamp too?

(Can't find the damn Basecamp manual online anywhere, but what I did find suggested the + and - works for it too)
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 08:47 PM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Thanks m8, that did work and I also found out that havering the mouse over the big BLUE triangle, turns it into a map scale and rotation tool ;)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
BaseCamp online information

See here: http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp for some BaseCamp usage information. It also says:

Where is the Manual?
Currently, the manual references on Garmin's website point to the MS manual, which will not help you with BC. There is a help file in BC, but as with most help files, it is more a reference on how to operate the program, not how to use the program. As significant progress is expected from Garmin with BC development for the On the Road applications, a manual may be a moving target today.

If someone knows something better on line, please post a link!

Note, there is also an online project management system called Basecamp (see http://basecamp.com/) so don't get confused.

-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
I too am recovering from a crashed laptop. It would appear as soon as the support for XP expired, so too did my Toshiba's will to live. Now I'm having to learn a new OS and figure out where and how to replace all my lost programs I had collected for the past 7 years. Well, this may not be the best thread for such stupid questions, but I guess I gotta ask them somewhere, so here goes:

1. Would anyone be able to walk me through the procedure to re-name a file in Windows 7? I can't find a way to view the file and its file extension.

2. Where can I learn how, or read about how, to use Win RAR? It looks like it may be pretty simple, but to me it's not intuitive and therefore I'm stuck.

Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote