User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,929
How to be cool in Old's Cool.

Howdy everyone! With a couple new sub-forums, our little corner of the world is getting bigger and broader, so to make this all work, we all need to work together.

There are only a few simple things we need to do make information easy to find, usefully informative and entertaining.

1. Put your posts in the right forum. Two stroke or Airhead? Put 'em in those forums. Your thread will get more attention from people who know those bikes, so you'll get better help.

2. Try to keep it on the topic of old bikes. Yes, we're all here because we love old bikes. I know we like to talk about other stuff, but there are spots in Inmates and JM for non old bike stuff.

3. Don't be a dick. Yep. That's it. We all need to remember that there are a variety of opinions and practices we will all never agree on. If someone's got a thread going, trying to get their bike fixed, don't start a pissing contest with someone else if you differ on the solution. Propose your solution. Remember - help the dude fix his bike.

I try not to mod too heavily. We're all adults. I'll move some stuff around once in a while. I might pull some less than helpful posts out of a thread and drop them in Head Explody. But other than that, I'm trying to stay out of your way. If I'm talking to you, it's not because I like screwing with people (I truly don't), it's because I'm trying to help everyone have a good time.

I love old bikes. You love old bikes. Let's talk about old bikes.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,930
Thanks for the effort. And I'm thinking the non airhead old bike guys are happy to be done with us messing up the old school forum.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Thanks for the effort. And I'm thinking the non airhead old bike guys are happy to be done with us messing up the old school forum.
I'm trying to be the slacker mod.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
Thumb good job

If it were me I woulda left it alone, but it's not.

Good job guys! Thanks for the loose guidelines oh sausaginous one...
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,630
Boy, howdy. We got's our own place now, an Airhead central, so to speak.

Sit down on the sofa, plop yer boots up on the coffee table and relaxatate.

Ahhh.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,945
Damn...were a pain in the ass, 'eh kbasa?! Thanks for all you do for us.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

You're gonna miss us and ya know it.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,382
It should work out for the best but Dang breaking up is painful.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
thanks for the effort guys

Is there an easy way to get an airhead thread moved to the new forum? Can I just click the report button on the first page rather than sending you a PM?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Can I just click the report button on the first page rather than sending you a PM?
Both ways work. If you send a PM, please include a link to the thread instead of saying something like "Gary's thread about his uncle's bike, I think it's on page 3 or so".

If you click report post, the link is inserted automagically.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Both ways work. If you send a PM, please include a link to the thread instead of saying something like "Gary's thread about his uncle's bike, I think it's on page 3 or so".

If you click report post, the link is inserted automagically.
Yep. This seems to be working great. We really appreciate the pointers we get.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Sunbeem
Enfant du Paradis.

Oddometer: 148
I'm new, I'm old, but I'm not so cool.

Adventures? God's bottom! Of course I've had adventures, I used to seek them out - before realising that putting salt and pepper on a curry was to miss the point. Now I find that adventure is inevitable, inescapable, and I simply try and survive it.

It's merely a matter of scale. Where once I needed to be risking life and limb in the most obvious manner possible, I now find that with vertebrae like a stack of broken biscuits, a walk down the garden to the compost heap involves the risk of only making it to the bottom of the garden, to join the mouldering weeds and rotting apples of last Autumn in a heaming screap.
That's adventure for you. That's bloody adventure.

I've spent much of 2014 on my back, gazing at the foulness of a Yorkshire winter through the skylight above my bed, and thinking I wasn't missing much, but I've been up on my hind legs for a few weeks now. I'm doing the exercises, I can walk for nearly an hour, and the swallows are back in my valley. So - what next.

Outside the kitchen door my '78 BMW R100 RS sits, it's clock ticking off yet another year, during which I've been out on it two or three times, and though I love it with a passion more than common, or because of it, I know it's getting bored with me.

Horizons are a funny thing, I'm learning that. It's not something you learn from books. I visit an old guy in a care home, who travels from his room to a lounge down a short corridor, and then back. He used to be Chief Engineer on an oil tanker so vast that the crew used bicycles to get around. The world was his to roam as Texaco directed, now his walking frame enables voyages measured in yards. And it's the lucky ones that get old, I've known many good ones that won't. There's a lesson for me here, and in order to learn it, I went to Ebay.

Abandoning dreams of riding the RS to Andalucia, I've come down a few cc's, and a few miles, and plan on exploring the smaller roads around the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Morecambe Bay on a Yamaha XT 350. The trailer I built for my last journey to Andalucia will accompany me to Hampshire in a couple of days time, carrying back my new purchase, and just like the old days, another for spares. I'll likely need some help with an unfamiliar machine, and hope to find it here.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Sunbeem.
Sunbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
Sunbeam.

I'll look forward to your additions if this introduction is an indication of your sensibilities.

All the best to you in your recovery and future travels.

Lornce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeem View Post
Adventures? God's bottom! Of course I've had adventures, I used to seek them out - before realising that putting salt and pepper on a curry was to miss the point. Now I find that adventure is inevitable, inescapable, and I simply try and survive it.

It's merely a matter of scale. Where once I needed to be risking life and limb in the most obvious manner possible, I now find that with vertebrae like a stack of broken biscuits, a walk down the garden to the compost heap involves the risk of only making it to the bottom of the garden, to join the mouldering weeds and rotting apples of last Autumn in a heaming screap.
That's adventure for you. That's bloody adventure.

I've spent much of 2014 on my back, gazing at the foulness of a Yorkshire winter through the skylight above my bed, and thinking I wasn't missing much, but I've been up on my hind legs for a few weeks now. I'm doing the exercises, I can walk for nearly an hour, and the swallows are back in my valley. So - what next.

Outside the kitchen door my '78 BMW R100 RS sits, it's clock ticking off yet another year, during which I've been out on it two or three times, and though I love it with a passion more than common, or because of it, I know it's getting bored with me.

Horizons are a funny thing, I'm learning that. It's not something you learn from books. I visit an old guy in a care home, who travels from his room to a lounge down a short corridor, and then back. He used to be Chief Engineer on an oil tanker so vast that the crew used bicycles to get around. The world was his to roam as Texaco directed, now his walking frame enables voyages measured in yards. And it's the lucky ones that get old, I've known many good ones that won't. There's a lesson for me here, and in order to learn it, I went to Ebay.

Abandoning dreams of riding the RS to Andalucia, I've come down a few cc's, and a few miles, and plan on exploring the smaller roads around the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Morecambe Bay on a Yamaha XT 350. The trailer I built for my last journey to Andalucia will accompany me to Hampshire in a couple of days time, carrying back my new purchase, and just like the old days, another for spares. I'll likely need some help with an unfamiliar machine, and hope to find it here.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Sunbeem.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Sounds like the beginning of a book. Love your style!

Welcome to the forum, and looking forward to future posts.