ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DZSO OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DZSO's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Oddometer: 257
Question Need Honest Input - Ft. Lauderdale Living

As I may have a tentative job offer in Ft. Lauderdale, I am investigating the lay-of-the-land in and around that area concerning future living accommodations. Specifically, the good, bad and other recommend living areas within a 30-45 minute commuting range that has a low (as possible) crime rate, good public schools, decent home prices (as possible), riding access for my son and other outdoor recreation attributes.

Any comments, recommendations and/or advice is welcomed at face value.

PM's are acceptable if preferred so as not to ruffle other ADV Rider FF feathers...

Thanks in advance-
DZSO

UPDATE as of 7 Feb 12
Current listing of places to investigate are as follows.
Those with positive comments (+) are:
Weston (3+)
Stuart (2+)
Jupiter (1+)
Sunrise (1+)
Those with negative comments (-) are:
Plantation (1-)
Any area with a HOA the size of a bible (2-)

Next Question? 18 February 2012
If one was to decide on living any where South of Stuart/Jupiter and North of Ft. Lauderdale, how close would you limit your location (town name) near Ft. Lauderdale? An answer written such as, "I would live no closer to Ft. Lauderdale than X town because X has X problem" is preferred. I am just trying to gain your input in case the "Tentative Job Offer" is given as I was contacted and asked for additional information for the "Preferred Selectee" packet going to thier regional HQ's for final approval.
Thanks to all who reply!
DZSO
__________________
73' BMW R75/5
07' KTM 990 Adventure

DZSO

DZSO screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 03:54 PM Reason: update
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Das Perp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 160
http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20120...iserable/print
/ducks
Das Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
DZSO OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DZSO's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Oddometer: 257
NO where near...

Miami.

I was thinking of a bit more North or West (a long drive I know) away from the human masses...

Thanks for the info and truth of the facts.

V/R
DZSO
__________________
73' BMW R75/5
07' KTM 990 Adventure

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,547
I had to deal with this 2 years ago and we decided on Stuart. Jupiter, Stuart, anywhere up north is way way better than being down there, too many people, traffic is terrible, and absolutley no feeling of community whatsoever.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
sanpau
Love to Ride
 
sanpau's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sunrise, FL
Oddometer: 698
According to today's Sun-Sentinel...Miami has captured the dubious distinction of being the most miserable city in the US. hummmm......
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO View Post
riding access for my son and other outdoor recreation attributes.
I'm really not sure there's a whole lot of offroad riding down there, and what's there will be either swampy or sugar sand. Other outdoor activities...hope you like saltwater sports. Fishing, boating, diving, etc will be very prevalent. There is also a very large horsey community in the Davie area.

Hope that helps,
__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
DZSO OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DZSO's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Oddometer: 257
It all helps-

NewCastleAdam,

Thanks for the outdoors ideas for my son, I am getting into Stand Up Paddle (SUP) boarding and hope my son & wife will as well. I was born in California and had a pool in the backyard, so the water activities are all good with me!

Thanks for the info-
DZSO
__________________
73' BMW R75/5
07' KTM 990 Adventure

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO View Post
NewCastleAdam,

Thanks for the outdoors ideas for my son, I am getting into Stand Up Paddle (SUP) boarding and hope my son & wife will as well. I was born in California and had a pool in the backyard, so the water activities are all good with me!

Thanks for the info-
DZSO
Plenty of mountain bike trails as well.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My HD Scram-ster build
Help Save a Pit-Bull
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TRUBRIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Land of the Alligators
Oddometer: 151
Weston

Weston will meet all of your requirements. They are enlarging 595
which you would use to commute to FLL. Markam Park is big and
close by. High profile Sheriff Deputies. You do not want to speed
in Weston. Very clean City. Have a nice Town Center. Two large
Shopping Malls within 12 miles. Plenty of schools. I have lived here
since 2000. No regrets. Good chance of picking up a foreclosed home.
Market prices starting to go back up, but still good deals available.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter
 
thunderkat59's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ♘ ④⓪②⓪⑤ ♘
Oddometer: 1,188
From Utah to SE-FL !?!?!?!

OK, you asked . . .

I spent 3 years in SE-FL, I am familiar with it from Martin Co to Miami-Dade. I can say with complete sincerity, it was the worst three years of my life.


☑ Mean people, cars and malls. Thats it. Nothing else. Like living in the parking lot of South of the Border.

☑ Crime like you've never seen before. There is a reason SE-FL has the most episodes of COPS.

☑ It is a transient, service based economy. No one stays long. You WILL be smarter than your boss.
Some people dont mind that, but it could get old, fast.

☑ Everything is a scam, from trying to get your toofus fixed, to trying to get the oil changed in your car. EVERYTHING.

☑ A cultural wasteland. NO culture unless your idea of that is going to a mall or watching a Girls Gone Wild shoot.

☑ If you are mildly peacable or thoughtful person, you will get eaten up. People are something that get in YOUR way. Its' all about ME ME ME ME ME.

☑ Have a back-up plan. The employment situation in FL is the second worst in the country. Its an At-Will state. You might not have your job a month after you get there. If you are going to FPL, count on being let go within a year.

☑ If you like to road ride, you will be in the worst place you possibly can be. Homicidal drivers, Almost all roads are totally straight from Miami all the way to Martin County. A stoplight every 50 yards too. You can ride out to Ockeechobee where you can make some left turns around the lake, but thats pretty much it.

I know this is offensive, and sorry to be harsh, but that is my experience in FL.
Friends don't let friends do Florida.

__________________
Current ☞ Eton 50 & 2008 Burgman 400 For Sale or trade for ☞ Classic euro scooter ?
Past ☞ CL175, Bridgestone100, CR250, DR650, GS500, YZF600, RR900, ZX900, XL883, FXST, Stella150
☭☮☯♋
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger
 
newcastleadam's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Friends don't let friends do Florida.
That's pretty good
__________________
Adam
86 KLR250 01 KLR685 06 K1200LT
As ever, buyer and seller of all things KLR
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,553
I lived in Plantation and hated it. Every inch is developed from the glades to the coast. I didn't even want to own a motorcycle while I lived there. Then I moved to Central Florida and found what I considered to be a much better environment. At least there were a few twisties around and you could get to dirt in a shortish amount of time.

My experience, YMMV, not legal tender in Virginia, etc.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly
 
MiamiMotorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, Fl.
Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
From Utah to SE-FL !?!?!?!

☑ If you are mildly peacable or thoughtful person, you will get eaten up. People are something that get in YOUR way. Its' all about ME ME ME ME ME.
It's now pronounced: Me-ah-Me.

But really, it's not all bad and I often have people holding a door open for me as they go through (and I'm a guy) or waving me through a stop sign. Just the other night someone insisted that I check out first at the grocery store as I only had a couple of items.

Traffic does suck though.
__________________
Okay it's a sportbike... but riding is not a sport, it's a necessity. Same goes for the Dual Sport.
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €
 
rider1150gsadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Florida Keys/Ft Likkertail , USA
Oddometer: 5,912
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
Weston will meet all of your requirements. They are enlarging 595
which you would use to commute to FLL. Markam Park is big and
close by. High profile Sheriff Deputies. You do not want to speed
in Weston. Very clean City. Have a nice Town Center. Two large
Shopping Malls within 12 miles. Plenty of schools. I have lived here
since 2000. No regrets. Good chance of picking up a foreclosed home.
Market prices starting to go back up, but still good deals available.
+1 I live in Weston as well due to family circumstances, but I am usually in the Fl Keys.
Weston is the ONLY community that has a low crime rate and where housing prices are going up rather than down.
I would rent a house first till you figure out where you really want to live. Just go to a few realtors on-line and see for yourself.
Plenty of parks around and living out West away from the ocean has it's merits as you're away from the crowds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
From Utah to SE-FL !?!?!?!

OK, you asked . . .

I spent 3 years in SE-FL, I am familiar with it from Martin Co to Miami-Dade. I can say with complete sincerity, it was the worst three years of my life.


☑ Mean people, cars and malls. Thats it. Nothing else. Like living in the parking lot of South of the Border.

☑ Crime like you've never seen before. There is a reason SE-FL has the most episodes of COPS.

☑ It is a transient, service based economy. No one stays long. You WILL be smarter than your boss.
Some people dont mind that, but it could get old, fast.

☑ Everything is a scam, from trying to get your toofus fixed, to trying to get the oil changed in your car. EVERYTHING.

☑ A cultural wasteland. NO culture unless your idea of that is going to a mall or watching a Girls Gone Wild shoot.

☑ If you are mildly peacable or thoughtful person, you will get eaten up. People are something that get in YOUR way. Its' all about ME ME ME ME ME.

☑ Have a back-up plan. The employment situation in FL is the second worst in the country. Its an At-Will state. You might not have your job a month after you get there. If you are going to FPL, count on being let go within a year.

☑ If you like to road ride, you will be in the worst place you possibly can be. Homicidal drivers, Almost all roads are totally straight from Miami all the way to Martin County. A stoplight every 50 yards too. You can ride out to Ockeechobee where you can make some left turns around the lake, but thats pretty much it.

I know this is offensive, and sorry to be harsh, but that is my experience in FL.
Friends don't let friends do Florida.

Some very valid points about the crime rate, scammers, idiot drivers and the selfishness, but that seems to be a nationwide issue in metro area's....That's why Weston is about the only place I would consider living down here apart from the Keys...Like Scribe said, central Florida is preferred over the South but if there is no choice you might as well pick the best you can....YMMV etc etc
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: NW in the Great Flat Sandy
Oddometer: 199
Thundercat59 nailed it yet didn't offend me like the post from a few weeks back written by some female blogger from the SW coast. As a former Floridian, that would move back in a second, the Ft. L area is no place I'd want to ride. Stuart and north is much better. I was from Vero Beach.

The best way I can describe south Florida is to compare it to your junior high girlfriend...hot, flat, straight, and stopping you at every move.
Flashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014