ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Greys River Road Wyoming advice

I posted this over in the Rockies forum but you cannot attach gpx file there anymore so I'll try it here. I want to ride the Emigrant Trail and Greys river road from Kemmerer Wyo up to Alpine Wyo on a loaded KLR. Anyone know if this is a rough dirt road, graded gravel road or is it paved. I've attached the route below.

Here's a screenshot

John
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Kemmerer to Alpine route.gpx (147.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
I've driven the north half in a Subaru a few times, turning off towards Salt River pass on 89 south of Smoot. It's mostly graded gravel with some slower, rough spots in the middle. Even loaded a KLR will do fine. It's a well traveled road.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Thanks UG. I've got it mostly pinned down and now I'm trying to get a gravel/dirt route from Dinosaur National Monument up to Kemmerer or LeBarge. It's fun to plan trips while it's too cold and nasty to get out.

John
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
I've ridden and driven all of the roads there many times. They are awesome DS roads. There are a number of ways to go. From Kemmerer, Hams Fork Road north, then west via Big Spring (a huge natural spring) to Smiths Fork Road and then Greys River Road is terrific. There is much more. Emigrant sites are well signed, and there are quite a few graves.

Perhaps Monday I will post some pics and specifics for you. Meanwhile, if you read Dockingpilot's five-star Forever West RR, it includes much of that area of Wyoming, as well as Dinosaur Nat'l Monument. Could be just what you're looking for.

Oh, don't forget to stop at the Cheeseburger Factory in Alpine; great little place.
byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Thanks Tony. The FW thread is what got me thinking about this last winter. I've read it three times and have an extensive notes file from it. I don't have the time to do the whole thing so we are trying to do the southeast lobe starting in Yampa Colorado and going clockwise. After Echo Park I was going to try to get west of Flaming Gorge and then strike off north towards Kemmerer. Haven't got far enough to see if we can go all the way to Alpine or if we need to cut across to Pinedale to pick up the route again. I love the western history and can't wait to see some of it in person.

I started this after I realized I couldn't post gpx files over in the Rockies Regional forum. There's a lot more activity over there in that thread. I've exchanged a few PM's with DP about the camp south of Atlantic City and he tells me there's a better place east of Atlantic City that you recommend. Any info on that?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762904

thanks
John
Old 03-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
cool area

this is a link to my spot page riding that area a few years back
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=227373
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
That is so cool, DutchJohn! I've not seen that done before.
byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Very cool DutchJohn! Thanks for posting that. I can't wait to see it myself!

John