Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Best Bike For Finding Fishing Holes

What would be the best bike to start out in the concrete jungle and get you to those fishing creeks way out in the middle of nowhere. Must have the capability to safely mount:

2 Fly Rods (31 inch case)
1 pair of neoprene waders
1 pair of light waders
1 cooler full of ice for fish (and beer)
Your typical camping stuff
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
There is no one. A truck of your choice will beat anything hands down.

Having said this, I spin fish for trout/salmon/steelhead all over Alberta/BC. I never had a cooler. Then the waist waders became hip waders, then nice roads were transformed into cheapest possible telescopic one. And I am content with the set up. The bike is Wee.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
BeerIsGood

Did you mount a rod holder? If so, what location.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I think it's safe to say that 90% of the bikes discussed on this site (except for Road Warriors) would probably suffice to some degree or another.

I think it's more about how you set up your bike for optimal carrying of gear etc.

Here's a thread discussing fishing. It's mostly about gear and not so much about the bikes, but I'm sure you can pick up some tips there.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760782

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
I think it's safe to say that 90% of the bikes discussed on this site (except for Road Warriors) would probably suffice to some degree or another.

I think it's more about how you set up your bike for optimal carrying of gear etc.

Here's a thread discussing fishing. It's mostly about gear and not so much about the bikes, but I'm sure you can pick up some tips there.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760782

C
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
The Uly was pretty good at it. Flyrod sits at the top front.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
The Uly was pretty good at it. Flyrod sits at the top front.

Noticed that you are not using nobbies for your tire choice. Any problems on the dirt roads without them?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
It kind of depends how far away those fishing holes are and if you want to ride right up to the water.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
How much do you want to spend?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
What would be the best bike to start out in the concrete jungle and get you to those fishing creeks way out in the middle of nowhere. Must have the capability to safely mount:

2 Fly Rods (31 inch case)
1 pair of neoprene waders
1 pair of light waders
1 cooler full of ice for fish (and beer)
Your typical camping stuff

Sounds like you need a URAL. I use my sidecar rig all the time for fishing. Its not exactly a dual-sport rig but slowly being converted that way. I need to mount some kind of rod holders between the car and bike, It gets a little crowded with all the gear and 2 kids along.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I've always use what ever bike I own at the time.Put soft bags on the SV650S and used that but didn't ride much off pavement.
Last few years the Uly took me fishing.I use a 8 foot 6 fly rod in 5 wt.,the case is 30" long.
My favorite spot is about 100 miles away with not much off road but now I have a KLR again so I may go to more backroad spots this year.

Season opens in 6 weeks
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I live in the western mountains (US). Some mountain lakes are way back in but can be gotten close to on a dirt bike. I use a old modified Suzuki DR400 but it' s bit heavy for some trails. Works tho. Used a BMW GS12 for long range exploring(have a Yamaha Tenere now & love it). On both,I tie an old metal framed backpack on the rear with fishing gear. I use an Alpaca raft for accessing places on mtn lakes that maybe nobody ever got too as the lakes are really tough to get to carrying float tubes, waders etc. The raft only weighs 4 lbs & is TOUGH. Made in Alaska,I think. Not cheap but really works well. I don't carry a take-down kayak paddle anymore. I just grab a stick in the woods.Works ok. Had a sidecar I fitted for back road stuff (for my dog) but it was awful bumpy & useless on trails( bike was too wide).
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
A DR350 set up with:

A big ass rack
17" Supermoto rims with Kenda Big Blocks
14/48 gearing

I just sold my 93 DR but I also have a 94 DR and I think this is exactly what I'm going to do with it. I've thought about it a lot. The rack will have a wide flat top where the passenger would normally sit and the sides will each hold a medium size igloo cooler. Drinks and lunch on one side, fish on the other.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
bigfish5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I use my DR650 , i have a PVC rod holder mounded on the left side of the bike behind me. It will hold a 5"6' inch bass rod broke down into 2 pieces. I have even taken it flounder gigging. Polarbear soft cooler strapped across the rack with my LED adventures gigging light and a 3.5 foot aluminum gig. Gets topheavy when you have a good night.
Here is the DR patiently waiting for me to get off work to throw some finger mullet at flounder. "you can see my rod holder in the pic"

bigfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
Noticed that you are not using nobbies for your tire choice. Any problems on the dirt roads without them?

The Distanzias worked great in most places you can actually ride a Uly. Liked them because they were SM tires and a lot of the roads I rode to get to the dirt were two lane twisties through the mountains and two lane/four lane highways getting to those.

I did break a fly rod inside the pvc case I that I had made when I piled up my KLX 250S

Not so good on snow & ice.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote