User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Varadero XL1000V help needed

OK, so I bought a 2003 Varadero XL 1000 V3 off an Internet advert in Ireland for a ride through Europe this summer. Everything I read says it's a great bike and I got a nice one with Hepco & Becker bags, MRA screen, LeoVInce cans, and with a full service, including brake pads for a good price.

Besides not trying the bike myself before purchase (a trustworthy and knowledgeable friend in Ireland took care of that), I have a few problems.
Minor problem - nothing is available for it in the USA.
1. no engine skid plate (found a German one for a ridiculous price of about 540Euros)
2. no crash bars (Givi makes some that fit, but who else?)
3. the seat is too high - major problem

I ride an 1150GS without much hassle. At 5'9" with 29-30" inseam, I'm fine on the GS, but at 33" seat height on the Varadero, I'm going to be beyond challenged. Anyone have knowledge of a lower seat for this thing? Sources? Experience? Photos?

I see lowering kits for suspension, but think the seat is easier to fix. True?

I don't mind used parts or seats if in good condidtion.

Thanks
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Question Dero parts

What? Nobody rides Varaderos in Canada?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
seats

if you are looking for a lower seat for the bike you will need to look in europe
I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY AFTERMARKET SUPPORT FOR THAT BIKE IN NORTH AMRERICA.
look for TOURATECH and TOP SELLERIE ( spelling?? ) since the bike was never introduced in the USA i don't think COBIN ,RUSSEL,etc offer any seat options.
are you sure the bike is that tall? i have only seen one but it did not look taller than my africa twin.i'm a little taller than you ( 31"-32" INSEAM ) and I ride all the bikes listed below, the KTM is lowered and i do have the lower TOURATECH seat on it.
remeber the seat height is measured without a rider or luggage. it will sag at least an inch or two once loaded up.

NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:10 PM
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Hi Ken

Sorry I didn't respond yet to your pm in regards to my topbox on my Varadero. I'm not here that often and just recently read my pm's when I logged on. I'll dig around for some photos of my topbox as you asked.

In regards to the other questions, I'm nearly 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I have no trouble with riding the Varadero. Keep in mind, however, that it's a very large bike. That being said, like all Hondas it magically sheds it's weight when underway. I have a number of friends and acquaintances that have purchased the Varadero as well, and all are shorter than I am. One gentleman is your height and doesn't have a problem, but he does have a lowering kit installed on his. Personally, I think it would be better to lower the bike than try to sculpt the seat. If memory serves me correct, I might know someone that has a used kit for sale. I can do some digging around if you like and see if he still has it. Otherwise, there are a number of vendors in Canada that have parts for the Varadero.
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Question lowering kit

Thanks for any lead you may find on a used lowering kit. From what I've seen online, it shouldn't take too long to install. You're right about nothing availaable in NA for the bike. I expected that, but had to ask.

I've seen Bagster and Top Selliere seats (both very nice, made in France). They are very PRICEY! As for seat height, the book says it's 838 mm (33"). We'll be 2 up and loaded most of the time, but not all the time. I don't need to flat foot with both feet, but I'd like to be able to get one on the ground solidly. The bike may be OK as it is, but if not, we will be wasting time getting something done to lower it or getting some plaltform boots.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
Thanks for any lead you may find on a used lowering kit. From what I've seen online, it shouldn't take too long to install. You're right about nothing availaable in NA for the bike. I expected that, but had to ask.

I've seen Bagster and Top Selliere seats (both very nice, made in France). They are very PRICEY! As for seat height, the book says it's 838 mm (33"). We'll be 2 up and loaded most of the time, but not all the time. I don't need to flat foot with both feet, but I'd like to be able to get one on the ground solidly. The bike may be OK as it is, but if not, we will be wasting time getting something done to lower it or getting some plaltform boots.
5'7" with a 30" inseam and had no problems riding a completely stock Varadero. It's typical Honda, very easy handling and hides its weight well.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb seat height ok

Thanks for that input on seat height. I am really looking forward to riding this bike. Some say it's superior to 1200GS and 1150GS. I'm so pleased with my 1150GS, the Honda will have to be spectacular.

Now I wonder if my Mountain Sun tank panniers will work on the Varadero? Here's a link to them shown on an 1150GS.
http://shop.mountainsuntouring.com/S...?categoryId=-1
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh bad news - no tank panniers

The radiators prevent tank panniers - they' dcut off cooling air flow and interfere with the rider's knees.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
*AL-VARADERO*
Long Dist Adv/Tour

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
The radiators prevent tank panniers - they' dcut off cooling air flow and interfere with the rider's knees.
So true Ken and congrats on your Varadero purchase. You`re gonna love the bike. I have an `09 I imported from Canada. You and I must be the only 2 in all of USA with Varaderos, I imagine.
*AL-VARADERO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb liking it

Yeah, but yours is in the states, right? Mine is in Ireland now and likely will be left in Paris in August where it'll be waiting for our next tour. Are you the guy named Tre or Trent who had one in the UK?

I'm looking at crash bars now and leaning toward Givi. I'm also getting a lowering kit and a CB600 side stand, but wonder how difficult it will be to use the center stand after it's lowered. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
*AL-VARADERO*
Long Dist Adv/Tour

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Yeah, but yours is in the states, right? Mine is in Ireland now and likely will be left in Paris in August where it'll be waiting for our next tour. Are you the guy named Tre or Trent who had one in the UK?
Yes Ken. Mine is here in the states, (Brooklyn, NY, USA) I`ve had the bike now for approximately 4 months and have clocked in excess of 7,500 miles. Sorry Ken, but no, I am not Tre or Trent.

Here`s a fairly recent pic of my Varadero.
*AL-VARADERO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Once lowered you'll need help from a 2x4 to get it up on the center stand. Just put a 1' length in a side bag to roll up on to get you started.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Hi Ken

This is pic of my Varadero with the factory Honda top box. If you need additional photographs, I can take a few more detailed pics in a few weeks.

varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 789
Wicked

You can find here, everything.... http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...dbe5a8db93353b
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Ken Fritz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb lowering vs stands - Varadero 1000

Guys who have lowered the bike 40mm with Hyper Pro links have cut 40mm off the lower legs of the center stand and welded the feet back on - a good fix.

They have also fitted stock Honda CBF600 side stands to replace the stock side stand. The stands interchange except some CBF600 stands require drilling a new hole in teh stand itself so the Varadero side stand switch will fit and work properly. This mod came from a Honda dealer in Ireland. I just bought a used CBF600 side stand for $20 and will carry it to Ireland to meet my bike.

Search for The Varadero International Forum for more info on all things Varadero.