User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 124 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
All things Sprinter (Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner)

As a wild idea, with older Sprinters becoming slightly more affordable, and more inmates acquiring one (if you have the means, I highly recommend one), I thought I'd kick off a Sprinter thread. Mainly, to keep us from crapping into the middle of Geek's fine 'Building an Adventure Van' thread.

So, to kick it off, here's a pic of my Sprinter (bought thru advrider, ironikally), committing a high sin, in the eyes of some BMW riders.

As far as I'm concerned, Sprinters (Vans in general) do have a place in adventuring.
Let's say you're taking an adventure ride deep into Mexico with some buddies from Texas, in late October. If you're from the say near Toledo, Ohio, its entirely possible that your weather looks like this:

Taken at noon near Indy, it was cold (40*), windy (25 mph), and raining as well. Driving a Sprinter in high winds is an adventure in itself, but not really that bad. Plus, I found it easily cut one day off my trip to Texas. This is like fast forward on a VCR- you get to the good stuff quicker. And, 24 mpg average over the trip isn't too bad. Once properly set up, I won't have to find a hotel room, either. The protection from crazy interstate drivers is nice too.

So, if you've ever done this to your Sprinter:

because of this, in your Sprinter:

maybe, this thread is for you. Or, at least you can whine about it, and we'll maybe give you a shoulder to cry on.

Nah. Fat Chance.

WARNING: Everyone will want to borrow your van. Or get you to 'help' them while they borrow your van.

mark883 screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 06:51 AM Reason: mas info
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

reserved space.

Reserved for future use, or links, or FIYs, etc.

Geek's Building an Adventure Van thread. If this build doesn't make you commit one deadly sin, well, you probably don't believe in deadly sins. Or you hate vans.

Vans! The all-purpose, all van thread at ADV. Sometimes devolves into VW lust, with their ramblings, but hey, that's OK. Check out the 70s vans! Cue the slap-bass funk music!

Sprinter-Source.com Probably the place on the web for Sprinter info. Not ADV level-crazy, but lots of good info and worldwide help. There's a few inmates that hang out over there. Even a wiki for general info.

Uni-mog Thread. Any MB owner should bow in awe to the Unimog. They can do anything except pass a fuel station.

Stalker-Vans.com All the best tips and tricks. Member discounts on candy and puppies. (haha.... just kidding. I hope.)

Any other good Sprinter or Van related threads, let me know, I'll throw them in here, for easy of future use. Just in case this turns into some 'Is Mexico Safe'-like 300 page rant & roll.

mark883 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 10:34 AM
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,498

Excuse my ignorance, is that a flywheel?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post

Yep. With 27X,XXX miles. Commonly called flex plate in Sprinter circles. Noted defect on 02 & 03s, I believe. Thickened up after that, and swappable to the new part. Easily done, if you didn't have to remove the transmission.

Mine took out my crankshaft position sensor, and promptly quit running.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
torque converter bolts loosened up....converters have been re designed a few times so far. we build them and update them as well. (clutch dragging when coming to a stop...) to try and help you ff"s out...when changing tail/brake lights in the rear....buy only mercedes brand bulbs. we had one with a tranny "nuetraling out". tore it down and found no real cause. rebuilt &worked fine. a few days later it came back, same problem. light bulbs had a different rating than the factory and the computer was attempting to failsafe the van. so how many people have paid for a tranny when they only needed a five dollar bulb? and for noisey injectors and pumps. put a half ounce of two stroke oil in for every gallon of fuel pumped. less is more on this. and olny do it every three or four tanks. oil first, then diesel. they sound like a sewing machine. less is more! dont overdo it and plug your injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post

PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
torque converter bolts loosened up....converters have been re designed a few times so far. we build them and update them as well. (clutch dragging when coming to a stop...) to try and help you ff"s out...when changing tail/brake lights in the rear....buy only mercedes brand bulbs. we had one with a tranny "nuetraling out". tore it down and found no real cause. rebuilt &worked fine. a few days later it came back, same problem. light bulbs had a different rating than the factory and the computer was attempting to failsafe the van. so how many people have paid for a tranny when they only needed a five dollar bulb? and for noisey injectors and pumps. put a half ounce of two stroke oil in for every gallon of fuel pumped. less is more on this. and olny do it every three or four tanks. oil first, then diesel. they sound like a sewing machine. less is more! dont overdo it and plug your injectors.

Mmm. With all due respect, those bolts were tight. They were also real #$@$es to get at. Of course, with 272k miles, its entirely possible they might have loosened up a bit too. The only thing worse than getting them out was putting them back in!

I do believe you on the lightbulbs- there's been all manner of reports of them causing all sorts of computer craziness.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Menards (at least mine) now carries it in 3.5"x15x8?" batt packs, about $50. Not cheap.
However, 3" is too thick for the ceiling. Perfect for the walls.
You do NOT want to try to slit a batt in half (1.75") the stuff is VERY tough to cut. With patience, I did get one bat slit. But that was the only one.

I've got some of the home depot stuff ordered to finish the back of my van. supposed to arrive Friday. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,070
I did my sprinter headliner with the denim insulation. It's manufactured in the town I work in but they don't sell it directly. They told me to order it from Home Depot because they offered free shipping and it was drop shipped from the manufacturer. The only thing I didn't know is that the stuff you buy from Home Depot is single foil sided as opposed to the same product you buy from a hot rod shop that is double sided.

So what I did is spray adhesive two layers together - denim to denim - and then install in the ceiling with spray adhesive. It wasn't too hard to cut with shears. Then just to get everything level in the middle I did a sheet of foam insulation (not shown installed in this pic).

More progress soon to be posted here.

'Rett Butler screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 12:25 PM
'Rett Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Rhett-

That's the same thing I did! But you used two layers? Mine was 2" thick and was perfect with one layer.

My insulation was shipped all the from Phoenix to Ohio. Lot a good all that eco greenie happy-feelgood labeling on the recycled denim did.

Less whining from my UPS guy tho. The box was big, but it wasn't a heavy one.

I'd post pics, but I don't have a model to throw in there. Nobody would want to see me.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

I ordered this roll. It's 75' of about 1/2" thick insulation bonded to a foil backing. The roll was the size of a small water heater and weighed a lot. My UPS guy drug it halfway around my house though the gravel to try and hide it next to my RV gate. It was a PITA to get back into the garage - had to bear hug the box.

Glued denim to denim I got about a 1" thick mat with foil on both sides then I foil taped the edges that set against the roof bows. I think I only used half the roll for the ceiling and will use the rest of it on the walls and maybe under the floor in front.

I used the double sided product in my FJ40 under the front floor mats, front seats and over the hump and it really decreased the heat as well as the noise in the cabin.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oh, I bought their 'water heater insulation kit'

It worked out perfectly- 48" wide, so I had to cut down the middle to size, but the length was perfect - about 75" - for a SHC Sprinter. And 2" think. I used aluminum duct insulation tape to tape everything to the ribs- but I first used spray glue on the batt and the ceiling, to stick it up. Then, 1/4" Luan plywood as ceiling. The unfaced R13 3" thick batts were too thick for the ceiling, but perfect for the sidewalls.

The stuff does make a fair amount of dust, but no itchy-scratchy like fiberglass.

I recommend the denim.

Very quiet, much better than rigid pink squeaky foam
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Hi,

I'm looking for a measurement...

On a 144" WB, what's the straight-line distance between the rear door and the back of the 2nd row seat?

Thanks,
Dave
DaveRMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

I saw that product when I ordered the roll but they didn't give a spec for thickness - yeah, 2" would have been perfect since I made up that other inch with the styrofoam. I'll find a picture of that when I get home.

I used what they call 5mm ply at Lowe's (bought it cause it's metric :) ) and covered it with carpet - the edges were a bit trickier. This is how it turned out. Still gotta do something about the holes next to the front headliner....

Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

The siliver interior looks very classy compared to my 'work worn' white.

My van has little tabs for the headache rack that cover the headliner gaps.

What did you do on the sloped sides? Put a straight bit of plywood there? I found thick non-corrugated cardboard conforms nicely, and is easily removable if you want to pull wires or something.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: