User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Rear Hand Brake

Has anyone fitted a rear hand brake onto the 950 and maintained the foot lever?

There have been a few occasions that I wished I had one on the 500 pound beast.

Is there something already manufactured or would I need to buy the parts and pieces to make it work? Would it work?
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
I have fitted plenty to the EXC models. The biggest challenge is pressurising the rear master cylinder without blowing out the sight glass. Would need a new rear master cylinder lid with a tube that connects a banjo on top of the lid to the very bottom of the master cylinder, with an O-ring to seal it from the reservoir as there is no need for a reservoir at the footbrake cylinder, just at the left hand rear brake.

Here is the adapter for the 04 onwards EXC, The original reservoir lid screws on, so this also screws into the reservoir bot seals tight to the master cylinder inside

the 99 to 03 EXC uses a remote reservoir, similar setup to the 950/990 Superduke. So the LHRB connects to where the remote reservoir used to go, but with a high pressure banjo connection

it is probably easier to adapt the SuperDuke rear master and use the SuperDuke single piston rear brake caliper.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And I thought it would be easy...

Would it be possible to use a hydraulic clutch set up with the brake line all the way to the rear caliper and double up the banjo bolts? Would the pressure back feed into the rear master cyclinder?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
And I thought it would be easy...

Would it be possible to use a hydraulic clutch set up with the brake line all the way to the rear caliper and double up the banjo bolts? Would the pressure back feed into the rear master cyclinder?
Yes, lots of people have tried that one without thinking it through ;)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
slo rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Rekluse makes kits for dirtbikes, not sure if one of those could be made to work. Not cheap though.
http://rekluse.mybigcommerce.com/cat...ted-Brake-Kit/

You might also look at companies that make stunt parts for sportbikes. Rear hand brakes are popular in that world as well.
slo rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo rider View Post
Rekluse makes kits for dirtbikes, not sure if one of those could be made to work. Not cheap though.
http://rekluse.mybigcommerce.com/cat...ted-Brake-Kit/

You might also look at companies that make stunt parts for sportbikes. Rear hand brakes are popular in that world as well.
That master won't work. Here's what I did. Note that I am running a Rekluse clutch, with brake line going DIRECTLY to the rear caliper, you could retain the foot pedal by running a line from LH master to a double banjo at the foot master.

BREMBO RCS16 RADIAL MASTER CYL. with SHORT BREMBO LEVER. RIZOMA REMOTE RESERVOIR. 7' BRAKE LINE. CUSTOM PERCH FOR STOCK CLUTCH MASTER. MIDWEST SHORTY LEVER.

With the rekluse, the clutch is rarely needed, and is reachable with one finger.

Hope that helps.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Please excuse me, I'm just curious.
Why would you need an extra control for the rearbrake?
Certainly not for normal dayriding. Is it for some kind of slow gnarly trail riding? But that makes no sense with the 950...????

cheers,
Matthi

DasMatti screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 03:05 PM
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMatti View Post
Please excuse me, I'm just curious.
Why would you need an extra control for the rearbrake?
Certainly not for normal dayriding. Is it for some kind of slow gnarly trail riding? But that makes no sense with the 950...????

cheers,
Matthi

700 pounds of bike, rider, and luggage.
Sharp right hand turn.
Sand and rocks in a ravine with a steep descent...

Try to keep that thing balanced when you HAVE to use the rear brake to keep from accelerating to a crazy speed

The Mojave Trail - Dropping off a river bank and into the bottom...

What will you do? What WILL you do?

What I would have given for a LHRB at that moment

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
700 pounds of bike, rider, and luggage.
Sharp right hand turn.
Sand and rocks in a ravine with a steep descent...

Try to keep that thing balanced when you HAVE to use the rear brake to keep from accelerating to a crazy speed

The Mojave Trail - Dropping off a river bank and into the bottom...

What will you do? What WILL you do?

What I would have given for a LHRB at that moment

Damn Jim, I think you just earned yourself a very rare DV Rally sweatshirt.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
That master won't work. Here's what I did. Note that I am running a Rekluse clutch, with brake line going DIRECTLY to the rear caliper, you could retain the foot pedal by running a line from LH master to a double banjo at the foot master.
Absolutely NO!!!
You cannot simply use a double banjo at the rear caliper or master cylinder. All that would do would pressurise the reservoir of the master cylinder you were not using at the time. Think about it, when the master cylinder is in the unbraked position, the port to the reservoir is open to the brake line. Thats why you can push the caliper pistons into the caliper. So if you apply pressure to the brake line from another master cylinder the easiest path is into the other reservoir.
Thats why a modified master cylinder is required, to allow a through flow of fluid from the other master cylinder.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Absolutely NO!!!
You cannot simply use a double banjo at the rear caliper or master cylinder. All that would do would pressurise the reservoir of the master cylinder you were not using at the time. Think about it, when the master cylinder is in the unbraked position, the port to the reservoir is open to the brake line. Thats why you can push the caliper pistons into the caliper. So if you apply pressure to the brake line from another master cylinder the easiest path is into the other reservoir.
Thats why a modified master cylinder is required, to allow a through flow of fluid from the other master cylinder.
I agree, it is something I couldn't get my head around either, BUT, the fact is the rekluse LHRB kit has an option to set it up this way, with an optional banjo bolt and braided line. Maybe you should give them a call and see what they say.

Dasmatti, excuse not needed. It's a personal thing I suppose. My 530 exc is set up with a Rekluse and LHRB, it is like riding a mountain bike, MUCH more control on steep descents, easier to load the rear suspension through whoops, MUCH smoother application of rear braking force. It boils down to rear braking control for me, have you ever tried to stop these big bikes in a hurry? it really doesn't happen without locking the rear (in dirt). The LHRB produces a much better braking "feel".
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I agree, it is something I couldn't get my head around either, BUT, the fact is the rekluse LHRB kit has an option to set it up this way, with an optional banjo bolt and braided line. Maybe you should give them a call and see what they say.

Dasmatti, excuse not needed. It's a personal thing I suppose. My 530 exc is set up with a Rekluse and LHRB, it is like riding a mountain bike, MUCH more control on steep descents, easier to load the rear suspension through whoops, MUCH smoother application of rear braking force. It boils down to rear braking control for me, have you ever tried to stop these big bikes in a hurry? it really doesn't happen without locking the rear (in dirt). The LHRB produces a much better braking "feel".
You dont understand the concept.

I was making dual brake adapters before Rekluse, they all work on the same principle i.e. the LHRB is piped in series THROUGH the foot master cylinder.
If LHRB is used, it pressurises the whole circuit, pushing fluid through the foot master cylinder to the caliper.
If footbrake is used, the fluid is drawn from the reservoir on the LHRB to pressurise the caliper.

In order to use an existing combined master cylinder/reservoir as fitted to the Adventure, an adapter has to seal the reservoir space i.e. connection the LHRB directly to the master cylinder. Otherwise the level glass in the reservoir will pop.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Quote:

Peanuts, I stand corrected, I understand how they do it now. I found this "Install" write up that explains it. The poster is installing this setup on a '09 EXC.

"I wanted to move to the left-hand rear brake setup, ideally retaining the foot pedal and the stock Brembo lever/master cylinder.

-I first assumed that I could just run a longer line from the lever to the rear master cylinder and use a double-banjo bolt with a brake light switch built in. This assumption proved to be wrong, as then you're on the wrong side and just pressurizing the opposite master cylinder's reservoir.

- "In order for the dual setup to work, you have to run the line from the lever into the reservoir on the foot pedal master cylinder. Some people have reported success by fabricating a fitting that replaces the window port, but Rekluse will sell you the metal insert that they designed by itself. This is a machined cylinder that threads into the reservoir and is tapped for a banjo bolt on top. It costs $80 by itself.

- The stock clutch line will not reach, no matter how you route it. It's a few inches too short. A 48" line works fine. Rekluse will sell you a nice coated line for $50.

- The banjo fittings on both master cylinders are 10mm x 1mm. No auto parts store I could find locally stocks them.

- If you are removing the clutch lever, simply capping off the port at the slave cylinder can do weird things to the operation of the throwout. Rekluse has a kit that consists of a 45-degree banjo bolt with a length of hose on it. You mount the banjo bolt to the slave cylinder, put three inches of fluid in it, then double-it over and zip-tie to something above it. The kit from Rekluse is $29.

- The stock Brembo master cylinder/lever works fine, as it uses DOT 4 brake fluid for the clutch. It is my understanding that the Magura lever used on some other/older models uses mineral oil and the seals aren't intended to be used with brake fluid, so some problems may arise.

- To bleed the system, Rekluse and most people I've seen outline their experience suggest that you reverse bleed the system. To do this, you use a large syringe with a section of hose attached that you hook up to the bleeder on the caliper and push fluid upwards until the system is full and all air bubbles are out. Rekluse will sell you a syringe all set up for this for $10.

- I found that in addition to reverse bleeding the system, I got additional air out by conventionally bleeding it. I also found that suggestions to turn the rear master cylinder upside down while bleeding the system helped as well.

- Once you get it set up, the setup that I'm using (stock Brembo lever, Rekluse master cylinder insert) will allow you to lock the rear wheel with one finger.

- The entire process of setting up the dual-mode lhrb setup took two hours or so, mainly due to all of the time it takes to completely bleed the system.
"

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #14
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

BREMBO RCS16 RADIAL MASTER CYL. with SHORT BREMBO LEVER. RIZOMA REMOTE RESERVOIR. 7' BRAKE LINE. CUSTOM PERCH FOR STOCK CLUTCH MASTER. MIDWEST SHORTY LEVER.

With the rekluse, the clutch is rarely needed, and is reachable with one finger.

Hope that helps.
So does the set up your running make the stock clutch your LHRB and the BREMBO the clutch?

Also are your exhaust pipes ceramic coated? Does it cut down on heat?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,069
Contact Ryan at http://www.50stunt.com/. He may be able to help you