User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Thinking HD

I dont know enough about the models the motor company make. Ive tried a bunch (883, 1200, Dyna Low Bob and full dresser) I liked the 1200 but getting off of that bike and back onto my 77 BMWs was eye opening... The 34 yr old BMW was comfortable where as the 1200 would lay waste to my back in about an hour.

Wifey wants to ride pillion after some years off a bike. So comfort back there a must.
I need to comute and endure some pretty harsh dirt roads. Panniers a must.
I also like to ride the twisties (after 2-3 slab ride to get there)
So a small fairing would be cool.

I was thinking Sporty 1200 with a decent seat and panniers with mids. But would a bigger model already laid out with that kit be better (mainly for passenger)?
Suspension has to able to cope with shit roads as well..

Any tips...?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
I dont know enough about the models the motor company make. Ive tried a bunch (883, 1200, Dyna Low Bob and full dresser) I liked the 1200 but getting off of that bike and back onto my 77 BMWs was eye opening... The 34 yr old BMW was comfortable where as the 1200 would lay waste to my back in about an hour.

Wifey wants to ride pillion after some years off a bike. So comfort back there a must.
So a small fairing would be cool.

I was thinking Sporty 1200 with a decent seat and panniers with mids. But would a bigger model already laid out with that kit be better (mainly for passenger)?
Suspension has to able to cope with shit roads as well..

Any tips...?

would suggest finding a sportster 1200 roadster, change the seat, and get a cafe/quarter fairing. i like taking my 1200r on fire roads and gravel roads, but do you mean harsh as in giant potholes and ruts all over the place or just a shitty surface?

i also know very little about the stuff harley makes, other than the sportster (which i own), since thats the only bike i like that they make :)
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post

Neither of these are Harley strong points.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I think a Harley handles twisty roads just fine as long as the rider remembers the limitations of the vehicle they are riding. But I do agree that harsh roads and dirt conditions are not ideal for the platforms they sell. Again, that's not to say they can't be ridden in that environment - they can. But there are better tools for the job.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I think a Harley handles twisty roads just fine as long as the rider remembers the limitations of the vehicle they are riding. But I do agree that harsh roads and dirt conditions are not ideal for the platforms they sell. Again, that's not to say they can't be ridden in that environment - they can. But there are better tools for the job.
What he said. To bad the FXDXT is no longer available as Id say that would have been your best bet.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Trooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I agree. I'm thinking Triumph Tiger 800xc, Tiger 1200, Yamaha's 1200 Tenere or maybe a BMW GS would be better suited for the type of riding you have planned. I like the 1200 Sporster and really like the XR1200 but I can't imagine riding two up and loaded down with hard bags down harsh dirt roads. The bike just wasn't designed for that type of riding and really doesn't have the ground clearance for that type of riding.

Greg
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
So he wants a seat upgrade and some baggage added to a XR1200?
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,379
The wife and I found the 1200 sportster to be very small and uncomfortable, even after many upgrades.
The worst 2 up bike I ever had.
550 pounds plus people does not do dirt well, and the stock suspension could not handle 2 up on the street at all.

Better longer shocks, fork spring and oil upgrade, better seat, bars, backrest and it still sucked.

The bigger bikes will be better 2 up, not sure about on the dirt roads or carving curves...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Buellrunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Dyna Switchback and some mods?

Decent suspension stock and some other good traits.
Buellrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Belts and rocks are a really bad combination. 3" of suspension travel and harsh dirt roads don't mix too well either. l llike harleys but not for your use.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I have to admit that riding my XR1200 on gravel roads is not a lot of fun. I think you might be thinking BMW.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,702
Might want to check out the Buell Uly thread as that might meet your needs/wants.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
At first I was thinking Harley Road Glide (I like the Custom better than the Ultra), but then you said dirt.

Gotta go with the others on this...BMW should be on your shopping list. I'd also take a look at the Moto Guzzi Norge...beautiful bike with great V-twin sound. Or the Guzzi Stelvio...more road oriented than the BMW R1200 GS, but makes up for it with style and that V-twin.

I may be biased towards the Guzzis though...I just put a deposit on a Stelvio.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Thanks for the replies-

As for the HD choice, its basically an itch that id like to scratch.... Never owned one and was looking for something that suits my riding.

As for the bad road example- there is a strech of asphalt that leads to my folks cottage. Probably 30 miles long and is absolutely trashed. Its twisty but years of neglect (and tandem dump trucks, logging trucks, winter salt and frost heaves) have left their mark... Then its 10 miles of dirt roads.. Not much by any standard but those roads have determined some choices in my last couple of bikes...

Good choices ive had were Wee Strom and KLR's... They soaked the roads up... But were hard bikes to look at.
Bad choice were Hinckley Bonnie and Older Airhead. Great to look at but my back still cringes..

The other riding issues were commute and really any bike will do that, and an annual ADK ride.. More of a brisk, sporting ride... And two up comfort..

Ideally having a stable of bikes would be where id like to see myself but that is a financial reality best left to fantasy. So one bike it is..

I have looked at the others and my personal favorite would have to be a Tiger 800 with panniers.... Or older GS... But still.... theres that persistant itch (and that Switchback does look fatastic) So I guess it comes down to practicality over hearstrings.... Perhaps the answer is a nice long HD rental to feel this one out..

fyr screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 06:25 AM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Louie... Don't Do It!

"As for the HD choice, its basically an itch that id like to scratch.... Never owned one and was looking for something that suits my riding.

As for the bad road example- there is a strech of asphalt that leads to my folks cottage. Probably 30 miles long and is absolutely trashed. Its twisty but years of neglect (and tandem dump trucks, logging trucks, winter salt and frost heaves) have left their mark... Then its 10 miles of dirt roads.. Not much by any standard but those roads have determined some choices in my last couple of bikes...
I have looked at the others and my personal favorite would have to be a Tiger 800 with panniers.... Or older GS... But still.... theres that persistant itch (and that Switchback does look fatastic) So I guess it comes down to practicality over hearstrings.... Perhaps the answer is a nice long HD rental to feel this one out.."

You know what you're doing, so papa won't preach. Remember, some itches should be scratched... and others are leprosy. If you keep barking up that tree, the bear just might come back down. Then who is going to be sorry?

I was taking care of my winter storage and bolt-ons at the HD dealer last week. I thought a Switchback might be interesting, but the never ending HD parts bin bike building, this time they stuck a Fat Boy fork on a Dyna, gets old. The nasty, elongated , American Racing style black five spoke wheels on the Switchback should push you away. The full chrome cover "vintage" shocks aren't the quality they should be. Similar to the Fat Bob chrome covered... I think I would go with the Performance aftermarket shocks and consider playing with length and spring. I dunno.

The Softtail Slim was interesting... mostly because of the idea of wire wheels on a Fat Boy. But the two-tone fork cover isn't working for me. I like the blacked-out footboards.

I know they are trying to get younger riders on board and you can see it in the January, 2012 mini book. I see the Rocker is gone... no more super fat rear tires... AND they make a point of pushing a "narrow rear tire" on the Slim (page 24) and the new "72".

"he took one thick loaf" - Leviticus 8:26

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 08:14 AM Reason: Zikes!
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote