Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Pissed Attention Please: Will the owner of the red Honda...

...PLEASE GET IT THE F**K OFF OF MY FACE!

Young kid being a young kid - way too fast on a public trail, on a blind hill, riding on the left side of the trail and then target fixates... on my right eyeball :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iyh1Gv8NKA

No permanent damage, bum wrist, one seriously sore back, some bruising. I rode it back to the trailer just fine.

The real pisser: I was on my way back from Missoula where I had them do a bunch of work to the bike including installing a TrailTech Vapor computer (which BTW is seriously cool device) and it crushed/severed the wire to the speedo :\ Got about 20 minutes out of it :\
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 388
Glad you are relatively OK. Just wanted to say though that I love visiting your town. My aunt and uncle live in Belgrade. We have to go to the Three Forks Cafe at least once during our vacation for breakfast.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
Glad you are relatively OK. Just wanted to say though that I love visiting your town. My aunt and uncle live in Belgrade. We have to go to the Three Forks Cafe at least once during our vacation for breakfast.
I hope their breakfasts are better than their lunches

When I want lunch locally I either ride over to Wheat Montana (fantastic food, though a limited menu) or on over to LaHood (take the Cardwell exit and head south for a few miles)

It's gorgeous weather here right now, I have a feeling summer is going to be ugly dry/hot since winter was so warm/dry.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
BRAAAP
Lil' RC!

Oddometer: 340
ide start taking still shots of everything, and talk to his parents about getting that kid some riding lessons.

im upset for you. glad your okay and im also glad the other one is okay as well.
1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade - Sold
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Sold
BRAAAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,533
That hurts just watching it.

I would have done the same thing, swerved right.

Dang.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,055
I'm just amazed you walked away from it. Any word on how the kid is?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
I'm just amazed you walked away from it. Any word on how the kid is?
I'm assuming he was fine, we both rode our bikes back to the parking lot and loaded our own bikes. He was upright and seemed fine.

I'm 99% today, only a sore spot in my back that has a good sized bruise with it. My wrist looked pretty buggered yesterday and hurt pretty good, I was sure it was going to be a while healing but today it's fine, zero pain and just a bit of bruising.

That's one good thing about being a Fat American... we bounce and roll really well
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
I had essentially the same thing happen actually. We weren't so lucky to walk away, both of us were going extremely fast. Glad it was no permanent damage though to you or the bike. I had to get a whole new front end. :(

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771758
Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
The video makes me wonder if there is a post somewhere else on the internet complaining about some old geezer who was practically parked on the trail.

Glad you both came out relatively ok. Could have been much worse...
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
The video makes me wonder if there is a post somewhere else on the internet complaining about some old geezer who was practically parked on the trail.

Glad you both came out relatively ok. Could have been much worse...
Heh - I'm certain there is! Damn kids won't stay off my lawn!!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm probably the only one who thinks this was a no fault collision aside from the target fixation. When you ride dirt you are going to eventually have to outride your sightline. If this wasn't the case the OP could have seen the kid coming and avoided him but in reality needed to maintain momentum to crest the hill though in this instance he could have almost certainly gone slower and still made it up the hill..

As to positioning... it is a dirt two track not a road with lanes. And since neither the OP had crested the hill at the time of impact nor the kid started going down it, right of way to uphill traffic doesn't apply.

Shit happens, that is dirt riding and of course it is always the other guy's fault.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 01:55 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,327
When I was younger, there was an accident where we all rode locally.
One guy died with a handlebar through his chest and the other rider was stuck there injured for a while before someone came along. I heard about it but was not there.
Its always been my greatest fear on a motorcycle, hitting another bike head on.
So I don't over ride my sight lines.
That is no good on hills, but we don't have any around here.

This crash really could have been a LOT worse, glad it was not.
It sure looked like he rode right into you, going left right into you...

Gives me the hebe gebes!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Hawk
Banned

Oddometer: 16,705
So how does such a accident work as far as responsibility? Who pays for the damages? How do you assign blame?

I'm not going to comment on my thoughts as to whom is at fault here. But around here we only have one way trails and if someone is riding the wrong direction they are not only castrated but also hung upside down and dipped in honey over a fire ant mound.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
So how does such a accident work as far as responsibility? Who pays for the damages? How do you assign blame?

I'm not going to comment on my thoughts as to whom is at fault here. But around here we only have one way trails and if someone is riding the wrong direction they are not only castrated but also hung upside down and dipped in honey over a fire ant mound.
No liability really - not like a driver's license or insurance is required on a dirt bike. They weren't one-way trails, I don't even think we have any of those around here. My Honda is plated and insured but I doubt there is more than a few hundred bucks of damage (radiator shroud and speedo wire for the Vapor and maybe a front brake line is all I spotted but still haven't gone over the bike yet)

If it had been completely insane behaviour and resulted in serious injury I'd have gotten his info, but he was just like I was at his age, a dumb kid not really cognizant of what could happen. I'm guessing that he (like me) will take the lesson seriously and not do the banzai thing down a blind hill any more. He apologized profusely which is what mattered most in this case IMO.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Damn. Glad you are alright.