User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,675
The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Does anyone know the real story on the XCWs compatibility with the fuel map switch?
I've had two dealers tell me two different things.
I've seen articles online that say different things.

Does anyone have the switch installed? Does it work on your XCW?

I'm in the process of making my XCW street legal and I'll offer up some detailed photos in case it helps anyone else in the same boat.

So who's bought one so far?

Geek screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 03:46 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Some detail shots... XCW fresh off the showroom floor:

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I have an appointment with a Colorado State Trooper on Tuesday to get my bike verified "street legal".

This means I'm going to have to add:

1) a mirror
2) a horn
3) a brake light
4) DOT tires

while I'm at it I'm also going to add:

1) fan override circuit
2) electric grips
3) high beam toggle
4) powerlet
5) something to tame the throttle to make the bike more "technical riding friendly".. either a cam or some flywheel weight?

...and then start with the armor:

1) better handguards
2) some sort of skid plate
3) some sort of pipe guard
4) some sort of case guards
5) swingarm guard & chain guard

...and then "long ride" comforts

1) better seat
2) a rear rack
3) better lighting

...and I will call it done.

Would love to hear feedback on what other owners are doing in the above categories?

Geek screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 07:59 PM
Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Geek OP
oot & aboot

So this weekend I have to get it street legal.

Dis assembly photos (lots of details for those curious about how the new 500s are put together):

The seat is removed with a single bolt from below (in the rear fender well) revealing:

The stock cockpit

Dis assembly begins:

Stock... under the headlight is a mess (in fact a bunch of the wiring on the bike is a bit of a disaster.. I am guessing it is because the use the same primary loom as the EXC so there are lots of wires unneeded)

To remove the tank: one bolt in the center of the tank (on the bike's backbone), two screws on the shrowds (one on the outside of each radiator) then quick-disconnect the fuel pump and the wiring plug

Left side:

Right side:

The stock wiring to the thermostat:

The stock wiring in the nose (all the grounds coming together)

Another example of fun wiring.. I'm assuming because the EXC had more stuff connected here..
Nothing like taking the ground wire and giving it 3 potential failure points in a 4 point connector.

Lots of wiring improvements to be made for sure.

...to be continued.

Geek screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 08:10 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I decided to go with the HighwayDirtbikes (HDB) handguards/mirrors/switchgear on my XCW. This is my 5th bike that I've put HighwayDirtbikes hand guards on because they work so well.

Paul is making a really nice billet computer guard that integrates well with the risers/topclamp/damper mount.. along with the handguards & mirrors.

First you need to disassemble the computer from its stock plastic mount

Here's the billet computer guard.. mine is anodized black. Everything is a very precise fit

You use the stock hardware to mount the computer into the new guard

To remove the fuel indicator and FI lenses from the stock guard, I warmed the outside black edges a bit with a heat gun first.. then they popped right out with little effort

The billet guard has the key pre-cut into it for alignment (the yellow lense has a key)

It is an interference fit. I put the plate face down and then used a socket that was larger diameter to hit on the billet frame and seat the lense fully in flushly

perfect

...both lenses seated

Geek screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 02:37 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Geek OP
oot & aboot

HDB has a variety of top clamp layouts available.

I selected one that has space for two powerlets and four switches.

I'm going to use the four switches for:
fan override, headlights off/on, headlight high/low and heated grips off/on

The pushbutton switches simply fit in the holes (which are designed for the fit)

and then the rubber waterproof caps screw on to hold the switch in place..

...to be continued.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I'm just curious why you wouldn't have bought the EXC instead?
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
A very good question and I'll touch on my thoughts on various bits it as I post my personal build out; I'd love to hear others express why they chose an XCW as well.

Personally my biggest reason: The EXC has all the emissions stuff on it.. the XCW doesn't. It is easier for me (in Colorado) to add the few items I need to be street legal than it is for me to remove all the crap I don't want on the bike.

Another Colorado reason:

Here in Colorado it is very easy to get a dirtbike plated. You do NOT need turn signals to plate a bike (and I'm trying to apply some KISS to this bike)... UNLESS the bike originally came with turn signals in which case they have to be maintained AND in good working order.

In other words.. if I bought an EXC and busted a turn signal (very likely with how I ride ) a local Ranger or trooper could pull me over and give me a ticket for my broken signal.

OTOH... riding my XC-W with no turn signals at all, they won't bat an eye and I'm not breaking any laws.

I agree.. it is stupid.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
slipstick
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Why I bought an 500XCW instead of an 500EXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
I labored hard and long over this question. The main reason for buying a 2014 KTM at all was because I wanted a lighter bike, in case I find myself on the downside of a hill and have to pick it up. I'm 67 years old (but still the youngest man alive). My 2001 Suzuki DRZ400S has proven that it can go anywhere I need to go, whether it be over Black Bear and Imogene Pass in Ouray, or White Rim Trail in Moab. The DRZ weighs 314lbs in its current configuration, the XCW about 241. Having twice as much horsepower is kinda handy to have as well, since most of the time we ride around 10,000 ft elevation and you lose 30% of your HP up there. That KTM EFI was another plus over the DRZ's carb with possible jetting issues.

Anyway, being blessed by living in Colorado, I was able to buy the bike from the dealer already titled and made street legal. The tail light is already wired and waiting for the hydraulic switch on the brake, and with a small mirror and a horn, it was ready to go. I did not have to chase down a highway patrolman to get it signed off. The cost for street legal was $180.

The issues with the EXC was that it had stuff I didn't need or would eventually be taken off, like the signal lights and the two large mirrors. The rear fender hangs way down low and is not as sporty as the XCW. The XCW does not have emissions controls nor the California mapping that the EXC has.
I also needed lower gearing for idling over rough stuff and the XCW cam with 13/50 sprockets so I didn't have to buy those, or a chain, maybe. The XCW does not have an ignition key or high beam toggle, but since I only trail ride, and only ride on the street to get to a trail, I'm not missing the high beam. The ignition is a joke anyway since the switch just shorts the ignition, and if you pull the wire off the switch, you can start the bike. (hide one somewhere if you are worried). The non-DOT Dunlop MX51 knobbies will be worn out soon enough, and then they'll I'll buy DOT.

I added a CF Skid plate and 30mm risers on the handlebars (I'm 6'2"). With only a little over a hundred miles on it so far my buns have not come to terms with it just yet. I thought the DR seat was hard, but this thing is like a 2x4. It forces me to spend more time on my legs and less on the seat which is good in building my stamina. Call it a P90-XCW program.

I think my Aussie (dog) Deacon thinks the seat is a bit hard too, 'cause he now jumps off right away when we get home, instead of waiting for me to tell him to get down.

The dealer said the 2014 500 XCW and 500 EXC had the same fuel capacity of 2.4 gal, but my manual says 2.25 gal. My first top-off showed about 44 mpg, so my range is going to be only 100 mi. I just took an 82 mi ride this weekend but I haven't checked to see how I did yet. It will be my 2nd fill-up. I may have to carry a couple of water bottles with 91 octane in them on longer rides. My DRZ was good for 140 mi.

You can see most of this ride at http://youtu.be/INp7pHx8oCo on my channel Tele Rover. Half was on pavement.
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
I labored hard and long over this question. The main reason for buying a 2014 KTM at all was because I wanted a lighter bike, in case I find myself on the downside of a hill and have to pick it up. I'm 67 years old (but still the youngest man alive). My 2001 Suzuki DRZ400S has proven that it can go anywhere I need to go, whether it be over Black Bear and Imogene Pass in Ouray, or White Rim Trail in Moab. The DRZ weighs 314lbs in its current configuration, the XCW about 241. Having twice as much horsepower is kinda handy to have as well, since most of the time we ride around 10,000 ft elevation and you lose 30% of your HP up there. That KTM EFI was another plus over the DRZ's carb with possible jetting issues.

Anyway, being blessed by living in Colorado, I was able to buy the bike from the dealer already titled and made street legal. The tail light is already wired and waiting for the hydraulic switch on the brake, and with a small mirror and a horn, it was ready to go. I did not have to chase down a highway patrolman to get it signed off. The cost for street legal was $180.

The issues with the EXC was that it had stuff I didn't need or would eventually be taken off, like the signal lights and the two large mirrors. The rear fender hangs way down low and is not as sporty as the XCW. The XCW does not have emissions controls nor the California mapping that the EXC has.
I also needed lower gearing for idling over rough stuff and the XCW cam with 13/50 sprockets so I didn't have to buy those, or a chain, maybe. The XCW does not have an ignition key or high beam toggle, but since I only trail ride, and only ride on the street to get to a trail, I'm not missing the high beam. The ignition is a joke anyway since the switch just shorts the ignition, and if you pull the wire off the switch, you can start the bike. (hide one somewhere if you are worried). The non-DOT Dunlop MX51 knobbies will be worn out soon enough, and then they'll I'll buy DOT.

I added a CF Skid plate and 30mm risers on the handlebars (I'm 6'2"). With only a little over a hundred miles on it so far my buns have not come to terms with it just yet. I thought the DR seat was hard, but this thing is like a 2x4. It forces me to spend more time on my legs and less on the seat which is good in building my stamina. Call it a P90-XCW program.

I think my Aussie (dog) Deacon thinks the seat is a bit hard too, 'cause he now jumps off right away when we get home, instead of waiting for me to tell him to get down.

The dealer said the 2014 500 XCW and 500 EXC had the same fuel capacity of 2.4 gal, but my manual says 2.25 gal. My first top-off showed about 44 mpg, so my range is going to be only 100 mi. I just took an 82 mi ride this weekend but I haven't checked to see how I did yet. It will be my 2nd fill-up. I may have to carry a couple of water bottles with 91 octane in them on longer rides. My DRZ was good for 140 mi.

You can see most of this ride at http://youtu.be/INp7pHx8oCo on my channel Tele Rover. Half was on pavement.
yep, sounds like you made a smart choice for your situation. We aren't that lucky out here in CA to be able to plate something like that. Awesome! have some great rides. Killer bike! Get a Seat Concepts seat and a Clockworks larger gas tank and you'll be golden.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
I can't ride..

Oddometer: 121
I actually think there are a ton of people that would be better served picking up the XCW.

This weekend I bought a brand new '13 500 XC-W for $6900 OTD. I found a dealer selling '14 models for $8200 OTD. The cheapest 500 EXC I could find was $9000. Not sure why the crazy price discrepancy, but I'm not complaining.

The $150 Sicass kit has everything needed plate the bike here in Texas. $300 gets you signals and more switches. It was a much better option for me as I can get the bike, lighting kit and a supermoto setup for less than I'd spend on the EXC.

Both bikes need to be re-geared for dual sport use, but not having to mess with the motor is a big plus for me as I'm several hours away from any KTM dealer.

Roaming about North Texas.
181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Subscribed!

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
I have a XCW and GEEK hit the nail on e head with his reasons to get a XCW over a EXC.

Doing the math it's cheaper to get a XCW and get it street legal rather than than to buy a EXC. Plus everyone the starts stripping stuff off the EXC's

Next I see here in the assylum the EXC guys start getting into mapping questions.

While I can't speak for anyone else but my XCW runs like a top. No messing with mapping here.

The only performance thing I did was the FULL AKRA TITANIUM exhaust front to back. It's the A&P in me that made me do it, plus it makes mechanical sense on several levels.

I just about have my own version of headlights done mechanically speaking anyway. I am still in the air about the "nose cone" weather do aluminum, fiberglass or none at all. Right now it kinda looks MAD MAX'ish.

They are definitely different from baja design's and Harcus. They have great stuff I just , I don't know what I am trying to say.

ABYSS
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #15
Geek OP
oot & aboot

David: do you have any pics of the Akro? I haven't seen it yet.
Is it much louder than stock? I was surprised at just how much bark the stock exhaust has...