Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Converting a heavy inline 4 OR get dual purpose?

Hello all, I'm new to here.

I love to go fishing to lakes. Recently I found a beautiful spot to fish but it was deep in the mountain and i had to go scratching my car's bumper and muffler.
I thought it would be nice if I have one of the adventure bikes but i can't afford any of new bikes. My budget is like $2000 or less...

So my question is should i go for a cheap old dual purpose with my low budget or convert my (old) heavy 4 cylinder to dual purpose?
I have a CB750C. I really like look of this bike but I know its too heavy to climb up hill or any hardcore off road.
But with $2000 I can do something make my bike super off roader with the look of old school... hopefully.
I know it's gonna be a pain in the ass but I know mostly what i have to do for the conversion.
I also know how heavy it is... and not only the weight... I heard that inline 4 engine is not good on off-road bcuz of traction and stuff.
Those concerns are keeping me away from tackle into this conversion. It would be nice tho because there's not many converted CB750s.

Or I should get cheap dual purpose? Only my concern is the on-road capability of dual purpose.
I was thinking to get 250cc bike but since the way to get the fishing spot there is highway too.
I don't wanna hear any of my bike screaming and shaking so much. It will be uncomfortable as well.
I thought 90-96? XT600 from Yamaha looks cool and with this engine capacity highway trip will not be bad at least. Plus, it is very rare bike in the US...

I know some of you don't give a fuck bout my day trip fishing but I'm thinking all day which i should go for.
Any idea would be appreciated. I wanna hear expert's opinion here. Because I have never tackled any hardcore off road you guys are experts for me.

Here's my bike

Geckei_kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,386
Scour craigslist daily and have the $ in your hand. Be ready to go at the drop of a hat and don't be afraid to offer your $2000 on a $3500 asking price. Shop for anything 350 and up, DRZ, DR350, KLR or DR650, XR/XLs and XT350s too. You will find one and or sell the 750 as it will get ruined used in the dirt to afford more expensive options. Cheap bikes are out there.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Scour craigslist daily and have the $ in your hand. Be ready to go at the drop of a hat and don't be afraid to offer your $2000 on a $3500 asking price.
I like that! Haha I never thought of asking $3500 bike with $2000 in hand.
I check craigslist everyday but I cannot find good one so far.

Thanks for the advice Narvin
Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckei_kan View Post

There are lots of desperate sellers and not alot of "cash in hand" buyers. I hate to see that but it is the way it is. Don't be shy and show a stack of 50s to make it look better!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

i missed out on a low mileage suzuki gs750 four years ago by a few minutes. it was relatively low miles, it ran well, and it was owned by an older couple that just wanted it gone. the price was $400 (i was thinking no way, thats too low, so i tried it out). i called them and they said it had just been picked up by the kidney foundation. they said no one had called them so they decided to donate the bike for a very low tax break, and had i called around 45 minutes earlier they would have just given it to me. i called the kidney foundation about the bike and they told me they would be unable to sell me the bike.

sucks.

but yeah, if you look long enough you can find some sweet deals.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
^ what he said plus 100. You will smash your bike to pieces taking it off road.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,133
How crazy is this offroad? If your car made it down and back it can't be all that bad, right?

In that case, I'd snag a second set of Comstars off of eBay or similar; mount up some dual-purpose or knobby tires, build a bash plate out of sheet metal, and call the "conversion" done.

Maybe some handguards, too, if you can find some that fit.

That would get you a somewhat competent trail bike for $500 or less, and you could always convert it back to "street mode" in about 30 minutes if you want to.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
How crazy is this offroad? If your car made it down and back it can't be all that bad, right?
First part of off road was not bad at all. I can still take my CB if i go slowly.
But then there is a small river crossing the road. I couldn't go with my car because the road was narrowed there so I stopped the car and i guess i had to walk about 30 min to get the spot. After the river was like trail road there's no way i can go in with heavy bike unless I was an expert or imbecile.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
First part of off road was not bad at all. I can still take my CB if i go slowly.
But then there is a small river crossing the road. I couldn't go with my car because the road was narrowed there so I stopped the car and i guess i had to walk about 30 min to get the spot. After the river was like trail road there's no way i can go in with heavy bike unless I was an expert or imbecile.
This is what I am talking about. Before you know it the road turns to shit and you decide to go on and therein lies the smashed to bits bike part I was talking about. I won't get into how fishermen are never really happy with their current fishing spot and are dreaming about a mystical spot just over the horizon that narrows to single track, but what the hell, you got this far.

I looked at your profile and it is hard to determine just where in the Sierra Mountains you reside. There must be some metropolis nearby that has a DR250, KLX 225-250 or something light enough to keep you out of trouble that you can find a used good deal on. Now, if you have to travel a fair bit to get to where the road leads to fishing then look for 650 dual sport Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki. They will be heavy but will feel like light compared to your 750.

Fill out your profile. There are Inmates around that may have what you are looking for or a lead on something right up your alley.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
I suggest you take your two grand and spend 500 on some really nice fishing gear..

Then put the 1450 in the bank. And buy some nice gloves for fifty bucks and take the bike you have. It won't get hurt if you aren't jumping it. It's heavy, yeah, and won't be like a dirtbike but I used to take my KZ650 just about everywhere off road. Slow in the dirt, fun on the road. If a car could make it, you should have no problem.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I suggest you take your two grand and spend 500 on some really nice fishing gear..

Then put the 1450 in the bank. And buy some nice gloves for fifty bucks and take the bike you have. It won't get hurt if you aren't jumping it. It's heavy, yeah, and won't be like a dirtbike but I used to take my KZ650 just about everywhere off road. Slow in the dirt, fun on the road. If a car could make it, you should have no problem.
Haha I should get nice fishing gear too
Do you have a 4-1 exhaust on your KZ? I'm hunting on ebayy for 4-2 system for better ground clearance and better look.
Becausae I hit the header too much it's leaking gas now...

Geckei_kan screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 07:33 PM
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Recently saw a china import, 250cc, street tagable, 1999 USD. Pep Boys
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,006
That 750 will be fine off road.......... Other then next to no ground clearance,bad suspension even for roadwork,no dirt tires available for those rims,550 lbs of weight to deal with,and the width of the engine would be not so good in places.
But really if your just going to cruise gravel roads even a Gold Wing will work.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I have a CB650 that I fitted a set of Trail wings on, along with a few other minor mods to make it more dirt worthy. It's a fun bike, as long as you don't get it stuck in the mud

One of the main issues I had with the bike was the gearing. These engines really don't have a ton of low end grunt, so with the stock gearing it's nearly impossible to crawl along at some of the speeds you need off road. I compensated by re-gearing 10 teeth up in the rear. It made things easier, but now the bike is revving alot higher at any given speed. This combined with the low speeds over the air cooled engine results in a VERY hot beast. I finally gave up on the project and bought a DRZ.

VTSteve screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 08:47 PM
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
I compensated by re-gearing 10 teeth up in the rear.
Wow that's a big change

I was inspired by this freaking cool video...

http://vimeo.com/hammarhead/pier18

Yes, it is a bonneville not like mine...

I think I just give up converting. It would be cool but doesn't make sense in many ways.
Get a cheap dual purpose by cheapened price. Don't call me a sticky lowballer

Thanks VTSteve for discouraging me!