User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Need advice on helmet type

I've been riding for 50 years, but the only type of helmet I have ever had is the half one, usually with zip out ear pads. This might be enough protection if I land on the top of my head, but would be worthless if I hit anyplace else! I want a full face protection, but don't know what type is best. I don't ride wild, just cruise around on pavement and dirt, some trails. I think I need a sun visor, and a face shield. But the helmets I see with a visor don't have shields, folks use them with goggles. And the ones with a shield don't have a visor. Can someone give me the pros and cons? Do I want a shield, or do they steam up? Are goggles better? I would think a shield would be better at keeping out rain and bugs. And what are the advantage of the ones with a flip-up chin bar? Any insights would be appreciated.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
Check out the newer dual sport helmets. Many companies make them now all price ranges. They have a visor and shield. The better ones will allow goggles to be worn under the shield. A search for helmets on Revzilla.com or Motorcycle-Superstore.com under Adventure Touring should find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
berlun
You're a nOOb!

Oddometer: 5
Check out the brand - Fly, model - Trekker. Costs about $140.00, I think it's everything you're looking for. Nice quality.

Regards.

berlun

2011 Kawasaki KLR 650
berlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
I've been riding for 50 years, but the only type of helmet I have ever had is the half one, usually with zip out ear pads. This might be enough protection if I land on the top of my head, but would be worthless if I hit anyplace else! I want a full face protection, but don't know what type is best. I don't ride wild, just cruise around on pavement and dirt, some trails. I think I need a sun visor, and a face shield. But the helmets I see with a visor don't have shields, folks use them with goggles. And the ones with a shield don't have a visor. Can someone give me the pros and cons? Do I want a shield, or do they steam up? Are goggles better? I would think a shield would be better at keeping out rain and bugs. And what are the advantage of the ones with a flip-up chin bar? Any insights would be appreciated.
I would suggest a mid quality FF helmet (eg. Scorpion EXO-750) with an optional tinted visor. Clear and tinted visors are easy to swap back and forth, with practice this takes all of 60seconds. Tinted visors are nicer on a hot day than clear visors with sun glasses underneath and help keep you cooler. The dual visor helmets weigh more, cost more for what you get, are bulkier and you loose some optical clarity with the dual visor over a single visor plus the sun protection is better with a tinted visor vs an internal flip down sun visor. In hot weather at slow speeds I keep my visor up but the wind protection is fantastic on the highway with a FF helmet and the visor down. Ventilation is also excellent with most modern FF helmets. You also get 50-60% more head protection compared to a 1/2 helmet. 40% of head impacts in a crash are to the face and chin according to a German study I read.

The trade off with modular helmets is they weigh a lot more, do not provide as good a fit, are noisier, and offer slightly less protection compared to a FF helmet. None I've seen can meet Snell testing standards.

Look for ECE 22.05 or Snell M2010 (not Snell M2005) rating. Mid teir helmets will vent better and be lighter weight. As for brand that depends on your head shape. The Shoei Quest is a great helmet if you have a round or slightly oval head but will not fit well if you have a more pronounce oval shaped head. Arai helmets are pricey but can give you a custom fit regardless of your head shape. If you have the budget you can't go wrong with Arai (RX-Q or Signet).

Try to get a very tight fit, they will loosen up as they break in. If you get presure points with a too small helmet on your forehead you have a more oval shaped head. If you get pressure points on the side of the head you have a rounder head shape. A good fitting helmet will apply even pressure all around. Better helmets can be custom fitted with different thickness cheek pads.

Fogging is a non issue if you apply anti fog spray to the inside of the visor, something you have to do with all FF helmets in cool or wet weather.

One issue with FF helmets is they do not work well if the helmet is not in the wind blast, eg. you are behind a huge windshield. This is because they need some wind to push air through the helmet vents. Then again with the visor you do not need to worry about wind blast to the face. I've set the wind shield on my bike so the blast off the top of my shield hits me in the upper neck.

Check out reviews one www.webbikeworld.com

outsidein screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 07:10 PM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
You want a flip up or solid full face?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Within 20 minutes of my post, I had two replies!
I had not even heard about dual sport helmets before, now the trick is to find one, they might not be available in Panama, and shipping one here is very costly, especially considering the chance of getting one that doesn't fit.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote