User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
tbounds OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
needle bearing in oil pan

I just found a needle bearing in my oil pan of 95 R100gspd. I removed it to change gasket and while cleaning pan found what looks like a needle bearing and some plastice blue looking material the blue material was half circle what looks like would be a2 inch diameter ring. Any ideas of what it may be from and what to do? Did not have any problem with bike before i started.
tbounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
pics? approximate dimensions of needle bearing?

sounds like valve rocker bearing R&R time, except for the blue stuff
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Maybe look at your rocker arms for broken rocker shaft spacers and missing needles...? The bearing cages have been know to wear thru or crack on the end.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
The needle bearing is most likely from a rocker arm bearing. Pull the rocker arms and replace the broken bearing. Sometimes the broken bearing muffs the shaft. With a rocker and shaft in your hand, rotate the other rocker arms on the shafts and feel for notched bearings somewhat like steering heads get only different. If they are notched, replace them. I try to wait and replace them all during a valve job but . . . . I have never noticed a cage that has worn through. They just crack for some reason. They will crack with too much rocker arm end play and they will crack with perfect rocker arm end play.

I suspect the other stuff is a gob of blue RTV that was smeared around the filter cover gasket and then it fell inside of the engine? That's about all I can imagine right now. If so, poor goobered engine.

supershaft screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 01:54 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
Rocker needle bearing. The proper fix is to replace all 8 bearings in all 4 rocker shafts. Some will try to fix just the bad ones and next year the next ones and then the last ones and, you get the idea?

Those rockers are really different than what someone like I have. But they have the same needle bearings, don't they?

Is the piece of plastic a hard piece of plastic or more like rubber?

Charlie
R90/6

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
it's a hard plastic shim, think its supposed to cut down on tappet noise
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
tbounds OP
Adventurer

bearing

i took a picture but can'tfigure out how to post from my phone , the bearing is apprx 3/8inch long and and 1/8th in diameter . The blue stuff was soft rubber like
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbounds View Post
i took a picture but can'tfigure out how to post from my phone , the bearing is apprx 3/8inch long and and 1/8th in diameter . The blue stuff was soft rubber like
You need a photo share site like smugmug or flicker. You could also email me the pic and I'll post it for you. hardwaregrrl@yahoo.com
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Oh no. That sounds like the front main bearing locating pin. Your front main bearing could move and block the oil passages that oil the rocker arms. Sometimes they will run a long time or maybe forever without the pin and sometimes they don't.

If the needle bearings aren't notched per my advise, I don't think you need to replace all of them. I don't think they fail like disston described. In my experience, they are like airhead lifters. Some flake and others don't. It's the same with rocker arm needle bearings IMO. Some cages break and others don't. They won't all eventually break but they all will eventually get notched.

I am still thinking the blue stuff is silicon that was goobered on the filter cover gasket and squeezed out on the inside and then fell into the pan?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I am still thinking the blue stuff is silicon that was goobered on the filter cover gasket and squeezed out on the inside and then fell into the pan?
Or blue loctite that got pushed through by a fastener

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Gawd, first it was the oil filter getting put in wrong, then it was final drive splines, then clutch splines, incorrect wheel bearing pre-load....

I'm losing track of all the things that are supposed to go wrong with these things.
So far, (knock on wood), I haven't had a problem with any of them.
With well over 100,000 miles on mine, should I be looking into this now?
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Oh no. That sounds like the front main bearing locating pin.
There you have it.

better to discover it this way, tbounds.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,612
Ouch. Agreed.

Vech (Benchmark) is up-state near Starkville and I'm not up that much on Ms wrenches.

I''ve thought about tapping the main bearing pin hole and substituting a loctited setscrew for that pesky pin. I've got a timing chain replacement coming up later this Spring and I ma considering going a little further and pulling the front main bearing cap for a peek at the pin.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
Please regard the advice from supershaft more accurate than that from myself. He does this stuff a lot more than I. And I'm just anal about replacing everything, all the time.

A two inch diameter thread of Locktight? And dry Locktight is not rubbery. Really sounds like Blue RTV. The picture will tell.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
tbounds OP
Adventurer

hardwaregrrl check email

I mailed photo of bearing please post so i some can look at it and give me advice
thanks you