User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Cruiser Scooters?

I's just thinking how much I'd love a practicle cruiser scooter!

Combine a Cruiser and a Scooter. Other than Craig Vetter's Sportster 1200 scoot [which BTW is badass!], theres no real cruiser scoots! I do love his, espically the one without the fairing! If it had a wider floorboard it'd be ultimate! But, those ain't like actually availible to the comsumer. But I like his work, talanted guy!

BUT, I'd like to see one of the big 4 or somebody make a real V-Twin, American style, Cruiser Scooter! They's quite successful in copying H-D, with the Yamaha Roadstar 1600 Silverado, other than just a bit of a character difference, being a Harley.

Seriously. Think about it! It ain't fare for us Cruiser guys! Theres Sporty scoots [like T-Max, those fast litttle 2 strokers like them 180/200 Dragsters that's super fast], etc. Then theres the touring scooters of course, the Maxis, Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, etc. Then, just putt putt small displacement scoots of course, for just zooming around town. And, some reasonable off road scoots, like the Zuma 50/125, and the old Honda CTs.

But wheres a 250-750 cc, V-Twin, chromed out, scooter. With the coolness of a big twin, purdy with chrome, that rumble and feel of a V-Twin motor, and torque, etc. BUT, combined with the practicleness of a scooter? Automatic, floorboard, somewhat nimble, medium sized tires, etc?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
300cc Genuine Cruiser

oh yeah its the dream of a few
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Ridley?

http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/

Unfortunately, out of business. The bikes were nice, but very expensive.

Might be some used ones around...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,922
How about a Sporty with a Autoclutch?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013

Cruz this !

Or this.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726

Me likey dis... I don't require a step thru... I just stand on a truck bumper and JUMP on.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
cruiser scooter? stupid idea,,, if you would ever experience riding a scooter you would know that dealers that sell only cruiser bikes such as HD, Victory hate scooters with a passion so they know they will never make one cause they will never want a person like you as a customer, they look at you as a threat to their manhood just because you ride a scooter, you make them look bad,,, they don't want no geek in their showroom, you might scare their regular tough guy customers away,,, The reason for owning a scooter is the first place is your are strong minded, independent, honest and you don't pretend to be someone your not, you're not afraid to ride what you enjoy riding, you should have pride in yourself cause you don't fit in that same mold as everybody else, its the weak minded people that think owning and riding the biggest, most expensive, loudest cruiser will transform them into someone they are not or never were or never will be,,they are fakes,,,,,,, yea,, I admit I made that same mistake in the past, but now I learned and know better,, I have learned its all about riding what you enjoy riding a bike that impresses you and thrills you, not a bike that impresses everybody else!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
cruiser scooter? stupid idea,,, if you would ever experience riding a scooter you would know that dealers that sell only cruiser bikes such as HD, Victory hate scooters with a passion so they know they will never make one cause they will never want a person like you as a customer,
Local HD dealer actually likes scooters.They had a Yamaha Majesty that the salesman actually recommended too someone.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Cruiser Scooters? Something like these?

Unfortunately they are Chinese and single cylinder.
Engine: Liquid cooled four-stroke single cylinder
Displacement: 244cc

The only V-twin powered Japanese Cruiser (with Auto tranny) of recent build that I know of, is this one:

Displacement:680.00 ccm (41.49 cubic inches)
Engine type:V2, four-stroke
Engine details:52 degree V-twin
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Cruiser Scooters? Something like these?

Unfortunately they are Chinese and single cylinder.
Engine: Liquid cooled four-stroke single cylinder
Displacement: 244cc

The only V-twin powered Japanese Cruiser (with Auto tranny) of recent build that I know of, is this one:

Displacement:680.00 ccm (41.49 cubic inches)
Engine type:V2, four-stroke
Engine details:52 degree V-twin
You stole my post. I was just looking up those two.

I'd love to try out the Honda, just for grins. I'm sure more "automatic motorcycles" (versus traditional step-through designs) will be on the way. I'm not sure how many the US will see.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
perturbedmax
Mr. n00b to you.

Oddometer: 41
http://www.californiascooterco.com/s...s/greaser.html

Nuff said.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Is that the DN-01? That's a pretty cool bike! Complicated transmission though...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

vortexau cool, but not what I had in mind. I reckon it counts as a cruiser scooter. But its still a single.

perturbedmax neat, but not for me. Those are abit pricy. And they sound like more like a dirtbike not a V-Twin, with the singles. And there not automatic.

bbishoppcm, now thats more what I was thinking of! That uses some sort of CVT, or is it a Dual Clutch as I seem to remember? I think thats as close as we's gonna get. It is a V-Twin, pretty much a cruiser [not the badass chromed out kind], but its pretty neat. A little expensive and bit but its cool. Seems not to popular though.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Speaking of the DN-01 transmission, no - not CVT or Dual-clutch. Honda called it HFT and its closer to what they used on their big quadbikes:

Honda Launches the New DN-01 Large Sports Cruiser with Innovative Automatic Human-Friendly Transmission

Quote:
Featuring Honda's innovative lockup-equipped, infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission—the HFT delivers superb throttle response and a direct drive feel
At constant cruising speeds it used a "lockup mechanism" to eliminate any automatic-type slippage.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Speaking of the DN-01 transmission, no - not CVT or Dual-clutch. Honda called it HFT and its closer to what they used on their big quadbikes:

Honda Launches the New DN-01 Large Sports Cruiser with Innovative Automatic Human-Friendly Transmission

At constant cruising speeds it used a "lockup mechanism" to eliminate any automatic-type slippage.

Wow, thats really neat! I didn't know that. I wander why the DN-1 was overall a failure? Its somewhat comparable to a maxi scooter, but it gets most of the respect of a conventinal motorcycle.

I think its just not scootery enough for scooter fellers, and not a "real" bike I reckon with the motorcycle folks?

Funny thing is, it seems to me that any automatic trannsmission motorcycle is considered a chick bike, Scooters are considered toys or "get a real motorcycle" manual or automatic.

Its really sad. Seriously. Those guys probably ain't ridden a nice automatic bike before. On twisties and hills, I love the auto WAY more. Its just a lot funner. For 2 up its better, no worries about keeping the engine RPMs high enough or lugging the motor.

But I like manuals too, both are cool. I just don't quite see why its such a big deal to have a automatic bike. At them there ridly motorcycle demonstrations, a lot of the hardcore Harley types was having a blast on the Ridly 750 autos! Those was great, just WAY to $.

As for scooters. I'd just like to see an actual mass produced one with a V-Twin. IMO, V-Twins sound neat with a CVT.

But what I find, is that CVTs make the bike feel a lot more torquey. I think its cause it always hits the right ratio. My Elite 150 feels torquey for a 150 cc. When I's rode 125 cc motorcycles, like the Eliminator 125, they way more gutless.