User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Is it time to sell the Gold Wing?

I've thoroughly enjoyed my '95 Gold Wing that I've ridden for several years. However, I find myself wanting to get off the asphalt every now & then & explore the dirt & gravel backroads. If I end up selling my Wing to get an adventure bike, what would you recommend? Here's some additional info that might influence your advice:

1. Any bike I get must be powerful & comfortable enough for long-distance touring
2. Any off-roading that I do will be relatively tame. I'm over 50, so I won't be doing anything too aggressive...just occasional dirt & gravel roads
3. I'd consider non-Jap bikes, although I'm partial to them because of their utter dependability & low maintenance. I'd like to own a BMW if they were as dependable as Jap bikes, but that doesn't seem to be case based on most information that I've read on the net. No offense intended.
4. Although I'm not a mechanic, I can do minor mechanic/maintenance stuff (once changed a magneto on one of my Honda's)
5. I strongly prefer a drive shaft, but would begrudgingly consider a chain drive
6. My budget is limited. If I sell my Wing, I'll have about $6-7000 to work with. If I decide to keep my Wing, I'll have about $2500-$3500 & will be in the market for a budget adventure bike...maybe something like an early model (2004-06) Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (which seems to have great reviews) or something comparable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

my3sons59 screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 08:03 PM
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,418
For a dependable unpaved roads bike, look at the Yamaha SuperTenere XT1200Z, but given your budget, a used VStrom 650 or Vstrom 1000 would fit the bill. You would need to decide if the 650 has enough power for your needs. Either of the 2 Vstroms would be dependable and come up for sale frequently here in the flea market among other places.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,472
FWIW: A chain oiler on a DL gives insane chain life.

Personally I'd suggest seeing what you can pick up a used DL 650 for - there are likely quite a lot of riders wanting to upgrade to the new model, so there may be good deals now.

Put decent off road tires on it and see if it works for you. I'd really recommend the tire thing, without that it can be painful.

You can probably do that without selling the 'wing , if it doesn't work out, you can sell it again without dropping massive $.

If you really like the 'exploring stuff' aspects, you can sell both and buy something 'better' then or just sell the 'wing.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
10-96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Keep the Wing for sure.
Pick up a well sorted used DL or DR650.
10-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
whatever you choose will be like a feather compaired to GW . . Enjoy the lightness!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
The 1500cc Goldwings are obviously a different beast/boat than the older 1200cc versions but I used to take my '86 Aspencade on dirt and gravel roads all the time
Jazz62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Just put knobbies on the wing and hit the trails! Post pictures.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 539
Do it!

I had a Wing and currently have an ST1100. In '05, I purchased an '02 BMW GS1150 Adv with 29k miles for just the same reason - I passed too may unexplored dirt roads - not any more! When I solo ride - the GS is the choice - comfort, power, capacity and go anywhere. When the wifey joins me - ST100 - I really don't enjoy the gravel/dirt stuff two up. I'm a Honda fan at heart and I was a bit apprehensive about purchasing a BMW. The GS has been an incredible ride - the handling characteristics, range, power are impressive. Other than normal maintenance items - which I perform myself - the only issue I had was the final drive which I detected going before any major failure - had it rebuilt for $600. Currently just under 90k miles and still going strong. I have to admit , its been one helluva bike. Whatever you choose, you'll be surprised at how exploring back/gravel/dirt roads suddenly expands your road trip universe. Do it!
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-a-lot View Post
Just put knobbies on the wing and hit the trails! Post pictures.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
As posted above I'd keep the Wing and find a deal on a used DR650 or a DL650 if you need to cover some slab to get to the area you want to explore.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
1. Any bike I get must be powerful & comfortable enough for long-distance touring
Coming from a 'Wing, you'll have to define what "powerful" is to you.

Many people consider the DL650 to be powerful enough, and many of them see some really long days. However, I don't think you're going to find a decent one for $2,500. That's closer to KLR territory, and it doesn't sound like you want to go that direction.

Tell us how you ride...
2 up?
How big are you? Your passenger?
Sea level or Denver?
What's your cruising speed?
Straight freeways, or back roads?
Are you a "Montana to Florida in 24 hours" kind of rider?

I do some commuting, some canyon carving and some long distance rides. I'm getting ready to head out on a two week "back roads & dirt roads" camping trip. I hit the scales at about 180, and ride alone. With me and my camping gear, my DL650 will easily cruise at 85 all day at 6,500 RPM. However, I'm rarely on a road where you can actually go 85 for very long - I hate freeways. I don't mind a little wind in my face, so the lack of a giant wind screen is fine by me.

I love my 650, and got it gently used for about $3,500 in the off season.

And a chain really isn't a big deal. Even less of a "thing" if you buy an oiler.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I just traded my 99 Valkyrie off for an 03 Vstrom 1000 and am loving it. I also have a KLR 650 for more serious off road stuff. I ride solo and tip the scales at 300 and am 6'6" so I wanted the extra power of the 1000 over the 650.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
If on a budget i`d go with a used Vee or Wee , as the Super ten is too new (but not too pricey, but add on`s are) but reading one of the super ten forums has me concerned about some engines knocking (and i thought only the Yami Roadstars were knockers, as i had 2 of them) Wish Suzuki would come out with a DL1200 with a little bigger fuel tank & a shaft drive & still use 87 octane , i`d be all over it.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I have a 91 Gold Wing that don't see much use now that I have a DR 650, But I won't be hooking the trailer to the 650 and loading the wife up for a weekend ride, The 1500 pulls like a freight train through the mountains.

As long as I can afford it I'll keep both bikes, if one has to go it would be the wing, then I could afford a decent seat for the DR
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,143
http://www.emilioscotto.com/home.html

Seriously, a DL650 fits the bill.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote