User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Laugh The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

I'm starting this thread so we have a place to discuss and share how Husaberg FE owners prepare and pack our bikes for multi-day/week/month adventure rides.
The other 70º Husaberg owners thread is filled with an excellent broad range of knowledge, but I'd like to have a more specific thread with info not to get lost in all the pages of other general info, tech support, troubleshooting and banter.
I'm going to share how I do my adventuring on the FE, and hope others will join in with their own experiences, suggestions or questions about gear and anything else related to riding or maintaining the current model 70º Husaberg for long distances away from home base or camping off the bike. Of course this will always be an evolution as I learn what works and what doesn't.

Photos of your Husaberg in action traveling, especially while packed are most welcomed here.

-Finn

To add to this thread allow me to quote valuable links for us FE owners. This one courtesy of McLeod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 10:01 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Here's a list of things I've added or changed to prepare the FE motorbike for dual sport travel to start this off:

2011 FE570S
Scotts Performance damper
Scotts Performance Metal Oil Filter
14/45 gearing - Ironman sprockets
Highway Dirt Bike hand guards with turn signals
Trail Tech map switch
Seat Concepts low seat with Airhawk Cruiser Pillion 2 seat pad for long road sessions (preferably dirt roads) ;)
Moose Racing heated grips
HID 55w headlight purchased from Paul on the Unofficial Husa forum, KTM ATV light converted to HID.
Baja Designs SII LED lights
Added a SAE plug wired direct to battery
Montana 600 GPS
Safari front tank
Shorai battery
Woody's Wheels cush drive rear wheel
DIY windscreen made with Kydek
Moved gauges up 1.5 inch to match the bar rise with a simple aluminum bracket I made
Giant Loop muffler guard
Shorai 14a battery
Competition Map, de-smogged
Enduro Engineering tail with LED lights
PDM60 Solid State Power Distribution Module Install

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 11:18 PM
Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Barshoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Here's a list of things I've added or changed to prepare the FE motorbike for dual sport travel to start this off:

2011 FE570S
Scotts Performance damper
Scotts Performance Metal Oil Filter
14/45 gearing
Highway Dirt Bike hand guards
Bullet Proof radiator guards ( I have a thing with dropping bikes on just the right big rock)
Trail Tech map switch
908RR rear tire, Pirelli Scorpion Rally front tire - balanced with spoke weights
Seat Concepts seat with Airhawk Cruiser Pillion 2 seat pad for long road sessions (preferably dirt roads) ;)
Moose Racing heated grips
HID 55w headlight purchased from Paul on the Unofficial Husa forum, KTM ATV light converted to HID.
Added a SAE plug wired direct to battery for air pump / heated gear / jumpstarts / charging iGadgets
Wired in my Montana 600 GPS
Moved gauges up 1.5 inch to match the bar rise with a simple aluminum bracket I made
Can-Am inline fuel filter # 709000100
Profill tank filter
Giant Loop muffler guard
Shorai 14a battery
Lowered 1" suspension with 1.5" shortened kickstand
Competition Map, de-smogged, opened up
Enduro Engineering tail with LED lights
No fan kit, shame!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

It's on the list, though I've yet to overheat the bike with the riding I've done so it's not at the top of my (limited budget) list.
I need a rear safari tank, a 70º tank and some other various bits first.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know if the fan kit works with the BulletProof Rad guards? Any photos would be great.

Mr. Bracket, aren't you the guy with the nifty trailer on your FE? Would you mind sharing some info about your rig in this thread?

Thanks Doug, it's nice to be back.

LostRider.com
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
It's on the list, though I've yet to overheat the bike with the riding I've done so it's not at the top of my (limited budget) list.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know if the fan kit works with the BulletProof Rad guards? Any photos would be great.

Mr. Bracket, aren't you the guy with the nifty trailer on your FE? Would you mind sharing some info about your rig in this thread?

wont the rear Safari tank limit your ability to use rear luggage like your Giant Loop or a Wolfman Rollie system?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
wont the rear Safari tank limit your ability to use rear luggage like your Giant Loop or a Wolfman Rollie system?

Yes, as why I've gone with the front tank panniers setup, amount other reasons.
I feel I needed to choose if I wanted extra fuel up front with panniers in back or visa-versa. Having a big front tank and tank panniers would be too wide and put too much weight over the front wheel, and I'd rather have more room to move around in the back instead of packing bags on the seat. That's just a personal preference though, if the GL bags were actually 100% waterproof it would make my decision much harder.... but they are not waterproof and I can't travel like that, and don't want to put bags into bags. Again, that's just me.
I chose to keep the front end the same as I like how it feels/looks as it is, and packing tank panniers on it is working out OK. Having the rear tank I believe will give me better flexibility with choosing what fuel goes where and how it's used since I can essentially isolate the rear tank from the bike by closing the valves, not using it at all but still being able to fill up the OEM tank when it's not needed.

Does anyone have any photos of the rear safari, preferably from the top looking down?

Currently one side of my GL Mojave holds tools, tubes, air pump, tow straps, etc. The other side holds a MSR Dromedary bag I've used for carrying extra fuel.
Worst case I loose one side of the Mojave with the rear Safari, but I won't need it anyways not needing to carry fuel in a bag. I'm still not sure how the rear safari will effect the GL mojave bag

I'm waiting for that slick skid plate/tool box that Lukas and the Husa ADV Team used to become available to the public, then I can utilize the one side of the GL bag for other things, or lose it altogether.... any word on that toolbox Lukas?... how did it work out for you guys?

I see your post Bogey, I have to run and will reply soon.

LostRider.com
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Yeah, fits perfectly. Absolutely love the BPD and HDB guards!

Make sure that you bolt the fan in front of the bracket that gets riveted on so that it almost touches the radiator. Otherwise it will hit the tank and you will have to redo it and drill out the rivets like some of us...

.... and I will send the Scheff-meister an email about availability of the rally plate tonight. Worked out perfectly, it's big enough to get a full tool kit in there, doesn't really change ground clearance and can be removed with 1 bolt on 2 nuts. Excellent quality and heavy duty.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:

Here’s a few pics of my bike and setup for Adventure Riding… Mine is not actually an FE, it’s an FX450, but still a 70deg Husaberg!!!

The biggest improvement I’ve made is getting a second wheel-set for Adventure riding. ProCycle built me this set of adventure wheels. The rear is basically a super-moto wheel, 17” diameter and 4-1/4” wide black Sun rim with a blue RAD cush drive hub. The front is a 19” diameter and 2-3/4” black Sun rim with blue RAD hub. The tires are Kenda Big Blocks, a 150/70-17 rear and a 110/80-19 front. You can find more info at www.procycle.us

My overall goal was to keep my berg light and easy to convert back to a dirtbike. I really enjoy riding hardcore trails one weekend and riding to the coast on backroads the next. I didn’t want to add the subframe tank or any other oversize tank for adventure riding. Husaberg did a great job of centralizing the weight on this bike and making it feel very light when moving, I didn’t want to change that. My rear tail light / license plate assembly comes off with two bolts and a 5-prong trailer light plug. My front windscreen is attached to my GPS holder and is also easy to remove. In short order I can put my stock wheelset on the bike and be back to the lightweight berg that I love so much.

To make longer trips possible, I needed to be able to haul gear and gas… Enter the moto-mule trailer!! With no tools, I can attach or detach this adventure trailer to my husaberg and have the ability to carry more than I’d ever need. I make these trailers myself and have a website at www.moto-mule.com

Here is a partial list of what I’ve added to my berg:
ProCycle Dual Sport Wiring Harness (the FX450 had no wiring for lights)
TrailTech DOT Headlight
LED Blinkers and Tail Light
Folding mirrors
Slipstreamer Windscreen
Seat Concepts Seat
Fastway Footpegs
Enduro Engineering Radiator Guards
Cycra Handguards
Garmin Rino 530Hcx GPS

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
I didn’t want to add the subframe tank or any other oversize tank for adventure riding. Husaberg did a great job of centralizing the weight on this bike and making it feel very light when moving, I didn’t want to change that.

To make longer trips possible, I needed to be able to haul gear and gas… Enter the moto-mule trailer!! With no tools, I can attach or detach this adventure trailer to my husaberg and have the ability to carry more than I’d ever need. I make these trailers myself and have a website at www.moto-mule.com

Very elegant solution! Well done! Best of both worlds ... and retaining the brilliance of the Husaberg design to me would be critical. But as a long range travel bike? You guys are the pioneers! Can't wait to see the first RTW report by Husaberg!

I believe Big Al used one of your trailers to go cross country. His epic Latin America ride report is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673764

Al sold his bike in Chile, then bought another in the South somewhere. It came with the trailer. He rode cross country with it ... and got on quite well. It would freak me out ... but I'd try it.

What does it weigh? (not loaded)

I've never towed a trailer. Seems there is a built in stigma against trailers ... but I'm beginning see just how great they could be on a long, RTW type ride ... especially for those wanting to go Two UP. Two Up on a dual sport bike is always tough. With the trailer it could actually be done.

One concern would be speed limits in the USA. Some states (like California - 55 mph max) have trailer speed limits. Does this rig fall into that class? Once out of USA, no problem. Nice Work!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
GZPainter
A Scouser from Crete

Oddometer: 161
That's an amazing setup for an adventurised Husaberg...
you add a Safari tank at the frond.. you get lost on the trails...
what a pity that's not legal in Europe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Lost... when I read that you purchased a FE570... I knew immediately that some awesome photos of the Husa will come...so bring them on!!!!

LE.M.A.N. - Ayios Nikolaos Crete Riders Club
http://leman-bikersclub.gr/
If you are around, try to find them, they will help you...
GZPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 202
Awesome!!! That is the coolest set up... got me thinkin about a second wheel set for my 570. Really interested in hearing how well the 17/19 combo works for tarmac & light duty trails.. Nice!!

[QUOTE=MrBracket;18508455]Here’s a few pics of my bike and setup for Adventure Riding… Mine is not actually an FE, it’s an FX450, but still a 70deg Husaberg!!!

The biggest improvement I’ve made is getting a second wheel-set for Adventure riding. ProCycle built me this set of adventure wheels. The rear is basically a super-moto wheel, 17” diameter and 4-1/4” wide black Sun rim with a blue RAD cush drive hub. The front is a 19” diameter and 2-3/4” black Sun rim with blue RAD hub. The tires are Kenda Big Blocks, a 150/70-17 rear and a 110/80-19 front.
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Barshoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

With all the extra weight your adding to this bike, first hot day, slow speed section, your really going to need it....
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barshoe View Post
With all the extra weight your adding to this bike, first hot day, slow speed section, your really going to need it....

Yep, you are most correct, boiled it over last week in hot 90º temps on a long steep loose climb without any gear strapped to it.... fan moved up on the list.

Thanks 4corners, life has recently thrown me quite a loop, not sure when I'm going to be able to travel on the FE now, but you know when I do there will be some photos to share.

LostRider.com
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Finn, Hit up SethS with a pm. He had a rear Safari mounted on his FE450 at the Sandblast Rally. I'm sure SafariBerg has a few posted up on his facebook page as well.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,806
Hey Greg, did the email with photos turn up for you or did I stuff up?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote