Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
pixelpacer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Using velcro to hold a tank bag in place?

I'm thinking about trying to attach a tank bag to a bike with a plastic tank using Velcro. Something like this http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...5924590&rt=rud

Has anyone tried this?
pixelpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
This kind of fastener might work better since the picture hanging stuff probably isn't waterproof with the soft foam it's made of.
I use it to mount cameras and other stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Fasten.../dp/B000ZJMS60

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 10:58 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I'm not certain if that stuff above is it, but I have seen some velcro for mounting electronics on boats that you can't physically pull apart. I tried it and it is incredibly strong. It requires some sort of tool to separate it, but things are removable. They advertise it to theft proof your electronics on open cockpit boats.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
What's the bike? I ask because a lot of tankbag manufacturers (I'm thinking in particular of Wolfman) make harnesses to fit specific bikes. Getting a strap on bag negates your need for velcro and works with a plastic tank, or any tank material, for that matter.

That said, I use velcro on the top of my tank bag to hold things like my mp3 player, phone, and gps. I'm always amazed how the stuff never moves, even when my KLR has to lay down and take a nap on the trail. Your key is going to be finding some with strong enough adhesive to adhere on the tank, particularly after rain, sun, heat, and cold. One thing for sure, prep the area before adhering by giving it a good cleaning with denatured alcohol.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
My recently lost Touratech Day Trip had adhesive patches to retain velcro, but the velcro was not the only retention, it was more used to keep the bag in place as opposed to keep it from launching. Seemed to work well. Just today I have completed the final emotional stage of loss-acceptance and removed the adhesive / velcro patches, using mineral spirits to clean off those last bits of adhesive. Paint seems to be just fine, and the velcro patches did do a nice job. Made for easy on/off for tank fillups.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
I have done it, get a roll of industrial strength vecro from walmart. sewthe fuzzy side on your tankbag and apply the hook side on the tank andlet it cure for about 1 day. it will hold fine
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Will work just fine, there are plenty of tankbags out there whose strap mount on the tank is nothing more than a giant velcro patch that you toss the tankbag on to.

I believe Fieldsheer and Held had a few tankbags with this setup.

But, why not just get a strap mount bag?

Is your actual tank plastic is is there a plastic cover over a metal tank? If the later I have seen plenty of people remove the plastic cover, super glue magnets or mendable metal plates underneath the plastic and voila, magnetic tankbags now work.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
The only problem I can see is that it would be a biatch to remove the Velcro from you tank in the future.
Why not just get a magnetic mount?
I have a Cortec and it does not move.
It also has a teather strap.
Having said that, it IS a small tank bag...don't know how secure a large,loaded magnetic mount would be.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,405
My old BMW GS tank bag was held on by a large piece of Dual Lock® like pictured above. It was very secure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
The only problem I can see is that it would be a biatch to remove the Velcro from you tank in the future.
Why not just get a magnetic mount?
I have a Cortec and it does not move.
It also has a teather strap.
Having said that, it IS a small tank bag...don't know how secure a large,loaded magnetic mount would be.

unless you are severely crippled in both hands it is very simple to remove velcro if you want. Just pick at one corner till you get a corner up then pull. Or if you have crippling arthritis in your hands, simply take a heat gun and warm it up for a few seconds then pull it right up. If that is too difficult, have one of the neighborhood children do it for you. As long as they are 6 years or older they should have no problems.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
unless you are severely crippled in both hands it is very simple to remove velcro if you want. Just pick at one corner till you get a corner up then pull. Or if you have crippling arthritis in your hands, simply take a heat gun and warm it up for a few seconds then pull it right up. If that is too difficult, have one of the neighborhood children do it for you. As long as they are 6 years or older they should have no problems.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post

Wow...what an anus!

Toto screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 11:04 AM
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Rain

I used to kayak and raft when I was younger, I learned one thing about velcro back then was that after it stayed wet for a while it wouldn't grip as well. They do have stronger types of velcro now but I wouldn't load the tank bag too much if it was attached with just velcro.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Genehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
3M Dual Lock - http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Fastener.html
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Genehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genehil View Post
Dual Lock is pretty strong stuff, maybe even overkill for a tank bag? I recently had a minor get-off in the sand and the laminar lip, held on by 4 small (12mm) dots of dual lock, separated from the windshield, but the dual lock held tight and the adhesive let lose. And that was with very flat, smooth acrylic surfaces. With the bag-side adhesive, the challenge may be to keep it attached to the bag?