User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
Hot Springs overnite: Radium vs Fairmont

I will be doing a ride this summer which basically does a circle of all the hot springs in the Kootenays. I've never been to the two places above. I'll be overniting at one of the two locations, and would appreciate feedback from those who have been there as to what would be,,,,best. A bit confusing really, it seems the actual hot springs ar Radium are out of town, not sure whether to stay at accomodation onsite, or in town. Same at Fairmont, not really sure where the mineral pools are in relation to the community, if there is a town at the site.
I'm guessing the 1st week in July, both places will be busy??

Cheers, Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 538
In Radium the hot springs are up the road (Hwy 93) just past the park entrance. You do not need to buy a park pass to go to the hot springs and I have walked up from the town site many times. There are some hotels on the road just outside the park entrance that are pretty good but busy in the tourist season. There is also accommodation just across the road from the hot springs, but be prepared with a thick wallet.

You can also camp at Dry Gultch Provincial Park ......there is a trail from the camping area that goes directly to the hot springs and misses all the road traffic on #93.

I have been to Fairmont once in the winter time and the springs were nice too, but I can't remember much else. But if it was me I would camp or hotel in Radium and go to both places and take in the water...............I always liked evening after the sun was down abit and it was not as hot and glaring.

Cheers,
J
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
If you want to stay and hot pool in the same place then fairmont is the better place. You can camp a stone's throw from the water. But if you want a townsite to take in a pub or go for a stroll then Radium is better although the actual pools is a couple miles out of town. Also at Fairmont their is a grocery store and gas station just at the highway. I prefer Fairmont just for the stay right at the pools option.

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
kirbybikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Did this a few years ago in my truck. We called it the Prune Tour.

A guide book.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...?cookieCheck=1
kirbybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,374
Them books....sent a lot of people down them HotSprings path over the years and quite a few got lost on our back roads here. Embarassing also when you are lying naked in the more secluded ones with your clothes well away from you and a whole family shows up just as you are somewhat ready to get out..... before turning into a prune.

You can dip for free in Fairmont on the native side. Good when you are just passing by but the bathhouse is somewhat crude.But however when the parking lot of the resort is full of tour buses,native bathhouse is usually pretty quiet.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Them books....sent a lot of people down them HotSprings path over the years and quite a few got lost on our back roads here. Embarassing also when you are lying naked in the more secluded ones with your clothes well away from you and a whole family shows up just as you are somewhat ready to get out..... before turning into a prune.

You can dip for free in Fairmont on the native side. Good when you are just passing by but the bathhouse is somewhat crude.But however when the parking lot of the resort is full of tour buses,native bathhouse is usually pretty quiet.
We really enjoyed camping right in the Fairmont Hot Springs Resort.

Great Mountain View at Fairmont

Fairly Large Pool at Fairmont

Radium Hot Springs
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
I won't be camping on this ride,,,,hotels this time. And yes, a nice sitdown pub dinner would be a nice thing...,,,,

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
We stayed at the Fairmont Resort - right in the main hotel. It was mid-summer and they had very good deals on rooms. With the resort rooms you get access to a very different pool setting than the above free for all in the above pics. You get to use an exclusive pool right next to the hotel. The restaurant was good, though the service was very slow. I'd go back and do it again in a flash.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I won't be camping on this ride,,,,hotels this time. And yes, a nice sitdown pub dinner would be a nice thing...,,,,

Steve

Radium might be a better choice, lots of different options of accommodation, entertainment and menus to look at.