Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
bmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Super Tenere problem, kind of... (traffic light vehicle sensor inquiry)

I have been reading numerous reports on the S10 and the many happy owners but I am having a problem on the bike that caught me by surprise.

In Wisconsin we have a lot of traffic lights in which the main roads stay green unless the sensors detect an oncoming vehicle from the less traveled road. The S10 seems to have a lot of trouble triggering these lights. I have only had the bike for about a month but I have already had to go through more red lights than I have in the last 10 years. Whenever I pull up to one of these signals I now assume that it will not trigger the light and I will have to go to plan B.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
I have been reading numerous reports on the S10 and the many happy owners but I am having a problem on the bike that caught me by surprise.

In Wisconsin we have a lot of traffic lights in which the main roads stay green unless the sensors detect an oncoming vehicle from the less traveled road. The S10 seems to have a lot of trouble triggering these lights. I have only had the bike for about a month but I have already had to go through more red lights than I have in the last 10 years. Whenever I pull up to one of these signals I now assume that it will not trigger the light and I will have to go to plan B.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
No. Never. In fact it it is better than the Strom in that regard. I always thought it was the steel frame that may have helped.

Maybe you were inadvertently shipped the carbon fibre model.
Have you noticed Ducati's seem a bit slow around your area?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 07:07 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I don't have an S10. But I've noticed this on every bike I've ridden.

If I'm the only one pulling up to a light, I make it a habit of stopping right on the sensor and rolling a tire back and forth over it repeatedly. That always works for me, and it keeps me from having to run a red light. If I don't do that, I can count on growing old before the light turns green.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Never had a problem with mine or any other bike for that matter.

Always pull up to where you are over the loop sensor wire. It is a magnetic type sensor so get as much bike over the line as possible.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w1tqbw
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight911 View Post
...so get as much bike over the line as possible...
Yep, just lower the bike on it's side, it's an S10, it must rest...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
There are magnets available to try to allay these problems. Maybe try one of them?
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
I get almost random results with these things. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on my Harley which is all steel or my Buell which is more plastic and aluminum. Even the HD doesn't have the amount of magnetic material that a small car has, so it probably depends on the individual sensor. Not much one can do except rehearse the "officer, when I took MSF training, I was informed that after one light cycle I was allowed to proceed" speech. Never been pulled over yet. But then, never went through a red in front of a cop yet either.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
Not all demand-acuated traffic controls are triggered by an inductive loop. Some use cameras, or radar. I stop, I look, I go.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I noticed it too. It does seem to be harder to set off the light sensor than with other bikes. My other bikes have normal steel frames that pass under the engine. I assume that has something to do with it.
211john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Have the same problem w/ my Ducati, BMW, etc. There are two in-the-road sensor types. If you see cuts in the road surface, you want to put the engine over one of the cuts, NOT in the center of the cutout area. These are typically rectangular in shape. If you don't see cuts in the road surface, then you need to be right over where ever the bloody thing is, typically 1 bike length BACK from the "stop" line and in the center of the lane as this is where a car engine would be.

If you have lights that typically cause issues around where you live, contact the city and report it. They should send a crew out to adjust the sensitivity of the detector.

Good luck!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Try putting your side stand down to touch the ground (worked for my 05 Concours) for some reason that bike would not trip a light.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Dirty Hippie
Somewhere in a canyon

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Try putting your side stand down to touch the ground (worked for my 05 Concours) for some reason that bike would not trip a light.
+1. Try dropping the side stand.
Dirty Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post

This works 100% for me on ANY bike.. put the side stand down on the wire sensor and it will trigger the light..
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

This works 100% for me on ANY bike.. put the side stand down on the wire sensor and it will trigger the light..
Yep my brother used to have to do that on his K75 years ago, used to really annoy him that I could trip the same lights on my bicycle

You usually don't have to get the side stand touching the road, just flip it down and back up with it located over the sensor.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
BeerTownGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Just got a Tenere a couple of weeks ago, good to know in advance to expect this issue.

My other bike is a older F650GS and it too would refuse to trip the lights on some intersections; I had a magnet mounted on the skid plate as low as possible and that helped some, otherwise revving the motor a couple of times or actually turning off and restarting would also trigger. I absolutely had to park right on the line/cut though.

I have not seen any optical sensors here in SW Wisconsin, I think they are all still induction loops.. maybe due to snow and winter, not sure how optical would work in heavy snow...
BeerTownGS is offline   Reply With Quote